Harbour Hotel

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• charlesracine's Profile Photo

Nice Hotel 6 blocks from the Quays

Fairly new hotel just a bit longer walk, to the train station & the Quays, than from the hotels on the city square. I would prefer to be on or near the square. We enjoyed the quiet stay and for guests there was free internet access.

More about Harbour Hotel

Ya can't go wrong with the Harbour Hotel

Me and my girlfriend stayed in the Harbour Hotel in April 2006 and had a fantastic time in Galway. You can't go wrong if you stay in the Harbour Hotel. I have read a few comments about how you can hear every noise coming from the other rooms and you can hear the coal depot that is open 24 hours a day. To be fair we were sleeping on the otherside of the hotel to the coal yard but personally I never heard anything except the bustling city which doesn't seem to sleep!!! but I don't mean this in a bad way. The hotel is literally 2 minutes walk to the centre of Galway city (Eyre Square) and all the bars / resteraunts. The breakfasts were exactly what you'd expect from this standard of hotel and I certainly wasn't left hungry in the morning with a wide selection on offer. The staff in the hotel we're very curteous and helpful and adhered to my special request of a harbour view which was much appreciated. The room was spacious and clean with a very comfy bed and good TV with plenty of channels. We arrived an hour and a half earlier than the check in time and we were still given a room straight away which again was much appreciated. We will definitely be back in Galway and it'll be hard to look past the Harbour Hotel for somewhere to stay Higjly recommended!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty good - more like a good 3-star than a 4-star

by TripAdvisor Member IrishRainyDay

We enjoyed our trip to the Harbour over Easter 2006. The setting is a bit 'industrial' as others have described, but it is just 5 minutes walk from the centre of Galway. The room was a little cramped with a double bed & a single bed. It was in need of some redecoration to freshen it up (worn carpet, some marks on the wall), but it was clean & comfortable. Our dinner in the restaurant was fine (though having asked for the wine menu, no-one came to take my wine order until the starters arrived). The breakfast buffet was very nice, and I was pleased that they didn't try to charge us anything extra for bringing our 2-year-old girl to breakfast. The therapist in the spa didn't really impress me - the treatments were adequete, but didn't rate with services I had received elsewhere.

I'd be happy to return to the Harbour if I was in Galway again, but I wouldn't be putting it right up at the top of my list of places to go back to.

Clean, fine but perhaps overpriced

I would agree with previous reviews that this hotel is not exactly in a scenic environment. It is perfectly adequate, the rooms are clean and relatively comfortable, the breakfast is fine but nothing memorable and the service is fine. The whole place though is a bit "clinical" with little character, it is too hot and I think overpriced (nothing special). Difficult to be desperately enthusiastic but it is "OK". It is reasonably well placed as nowhere in Galway is more than 15-20 minutes walk.It does have a tendency to be noisy with traffic noise in some rooms and revellers at the harbour giving an early wake up call around 5am. Our taxi driver had recommended that staying anywhere in Eyre Square at the weekend guaranteed a sleepless night, so maybe we were luckier than some in terms of how much sleep we got.
General points: the Kirwan Lane restaurant was excellent - fantastic fish and superb steak. My husband and I were at a conference at the Harbour and had a conference meal at the Great Southern - nice surroudnings, but food and wine not up to much. A shame reall when most restaurants in this region really do have the most stunning selection of seafood (the oysters, crab and smoked salmon were fantastic). Wifi probably makes this hotel a good choice for business people.

A Weekend Away

I decided to bring my wife away for a weekend to Galway. Having read some good reviews on the Trip Advisor website about the Harbour Hotel, I decided to have a look at their website. I got a reasonable deal for the weekend and decided to book even though when I asked about the available views of the Harbour, I was told that the “Harbour” rooms, the superior rooms, had no view of the Harbour!

Upon arrival, we discovered that the small and inadequate car-park was full. When we went into the Hotel to enquire, the receptionist told us quite smugly that it was a “first come first served basis” and that we would have to pay for the car-park adjoining the Hotel car-park. The rooms are also very noisy and we could hear many of the Guests returning to the Hotel throughout both nights as it is quite close to the City centre.

The buffet breakfast is mediocre in comparison to other Hotels I have stayed in around the country, offering very little choice and the standard of some of the cooked food is atrocious, especially the green fried eggs offered on the Saturday morning!

Most of the staff are courteous but seem inexperienced and a smile wouldn’t go astray! Not the friendliest of welcomes which you would expect in the west of Ireland. When having coffee in the lobby, one of the friendlier bar staff mentioned that this might have been the result of there being four General Managers in the last year!

Dinner was acceptable, though we both felt it was a limited and unimaginative menu. We had a very nice waiter who chatted throughout the evening but the food left room for improvement, the sauce with my steak and even my wife’s soup tasted as if it came from a packet!

All in all, we did not receive value for money as we did not even sleep at night and certainly didn’t enjoy the food! Personally, I think this Hotel would be more suited to young people who would be visiting Galway in a group for a party weekend. It is certainly not for a quiet weekend away and therefore I would definitely not recommend it!

Clean, but could use improvment

by TripAdvisor Member Mood

We stayed one night in Galway and were told to stay off the Eyre Square because of the noise.. The Harbour hotel is on a busy street in an industrial area but the staff said the area has plans for renovation . The hotel was modern having a redo a few years ago and was quiet except for traffic noise. It is still in walking distance to the center of Galway so seeing the sights was easy. The beds were very good with crisp linens and the room and bath were very clean . The carpets should be replaced as they were stained and older. The staff was very efficent and helpful. One good thing was the available free parking for the night. The breakfast was good and included in the price. It was sufficent for the night but I wouldn't want to spend too many days there.

OK Stay in Galway

My partner and I recently stayed at the Harbour Hotel in Galway and found it to be ok, at best. While the lobby of the hotel was clean, bright and very modern, the room (at least the one we had) was something else entirely. First off, the view was of the pillar to the parking garage behind the hotel. When we asked to have the room changed, we were told there were no others available. Since the parking garage and the lobby seemed empty our entire stay, I'm not so sure we were told the truth. In any case, it looks as if all the rooms on that side of the hotel and on the first (not ground) floor would have the same view, so beware. The room itself was cramped, with dated furniture and a very uncomfortable mattress. In addition, there was no way to cool down the room since virtually no air came in through the windows that only opened a couple of inches.

enjoyed our stay

by TripAdvisor Member jjacquie2

Stayed in the harbour for the weekend in June. We got an excellent rate on the hotels website which included dinner on one night. The dinner was good & the staff were very attentive. Although other reviewers had commented on the industrial area & noise we didn't notice it especially with the harbour on the other side & the close situation to the centre being 5 minutes we felt the situation was excellent. We has a room on the top floor & next door was a hen weekend which we thought would be rather noisy but we didn't hear a thing & the room was excellent . Definitely would return to galway city & this hotel.

Very enjoyable stay

by TripAdvisor Member ChiefyL

Recently spent three nights at the Harbour hotel. The location is excellent as it is within easy walking distance to the town centre.
Although Galway harbour may not be the most picturesque, we stilll enjoyed watching the boats come and go. The staff at the hotel were very helpful and pleasant to deal with. Although the housekeeping staff were a little too efficient, throwing out a couple of items we were not completely finished with, but at least the room was clean and tidy everyday. The health and fitness suite was very clean and well maintained also and a pleasure to use, we were lucky enough to have it too ourselves each time we used it. Overall for a short stay the Harbour can be recommended. The carpark is very convenient too.

enjoyable stay

by TripAdvisor Member CoArmagh

Just back from a 2 night stay at the harbour hotel. The hotel was in a great location just minutes walking distance from the city center. The staff were very friendly and the hotel was very clean and modern. The room was clean with a comfortable bed and had everything you need. I would defently go back to galway and would recommend the Harbour Hotel. The hotel carpark is a secure carpark and is free which is an added bonus.

Comments