Forster St, Eyre Square, Galway, Western Ireland, Ireland

Travelocity Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Convenient 4-Star Hotel Near Eyre Square

I selected the Park House Hotel because it is very convenient to both the bus and train stations in Galway City. Another factor in my decision was that it advertised the amenity of an in-room safe (more about that below).

Through hotels.com, I booked a Superior Room for two nights at a promotional rate. My stay was on a Thursday and a Friday -- and, for whatever reason, the rate was significantly higher on Friday. For Thursday, the cost was $150 USD (100 Euros at the time of my trip) -- and, for Friday, the cost was $190 USD. A full Irish breakfast was included in the rate for a Superior Room.

In addition to convenience, I would describe the Park House Hotel as a luxurious hotel with old world charm. My room was large and well-furnished. Most importantly, the bed was very comfortable. The brochure lists the hotel as a 4-star establishment -- and I think that designation is accurate.

As advertised, there was a large in-room safe. I very much like this amenity in a hotel because of the convenience. However, the particular safe in my room did not always close and lock correctly; apparently, the unit badly needed refurbishing and/or upgrading. This problem caused unnecessary delays -- and was extremely frustrating. When I explained the problem to the front desk, I was told that other guests had experienced similar problems with the safes. The hotel offered to store my valuables in the safe deposit box at the front desk or to provide me with a different room. Initially, I chose to change to another room -- but I encountered the same problem with the safe in the second room! Since I liked the layout of the first room better, I moved back. For such a nice hotel, I simply don't understand why they don't refurbish and/or upgrade the in-room safes. This problem definitely marred what was otherwise a pretty good hotel experience.

On the plus side, I would definitely give the breakfast a high rating. There were a few options (including fish), but I chose the full Irish breakfast on both days. The atmosphere and quality of the food were top-notch.

The service at the hotel was very professional and responsive. However, I didn't find the folks with whom I interacted to be particularly warm and friendly. Also, when I inquired about a tour to the Cliffs of Moher, the gentleman at the front desk told me that it was necessary to buy a ticket from him for 25 Euros in advance. When I told him that I wanted one, he looked all around -- but he couldn't find one. As it turned out, I was able to purchase a ticket for 20 Euros the next morning at the Discover Ireland Centre down the street. My guess is that the hotel gets a commission from the tour operator. However, I would have appreciated an honest explanation of my tour options from the front desk instead of the "hard sell" that I got.

On my second night, I had a couple of drinks at the bar -- and then moved to a lounge with comfortable couches. The atmosphere in both the bar and lounge was pleasant and conducive to conversation. Later that night after I went to sleep in my room, I was awakened by the sound of a guy banging on a door nearby. After this banging went on for some time, I notified the front desk -- and they quickly sent someone from security to check it out. As it turned out, it was some guy who was locked out of his room -- and he didn't have his key card. Why didn't this drunken idiot go to the front desk for a new key card instead of banging on the door? I guess I'll never find out. While this problem was not the hotel's fault, it impacted my stay in a negative way.

Overall, I was satisfied with my 2-night stay at the Park House Hotel. I really liked the convenient location -- the room (except for the faulty safe) -- and the breakfast. However, now that I am familiar with Galway City, I would probably choose a less expensive place to stay. In a nutshell, I would rate the Park House as a very nice hotel -- but not necessarily a great value for the expensive price.

Unique Quality: Great location -- very convenient to the bus station, train station, Discover Ireland Centre, and Eyre Square.

Great full Irish breakfast included in the rate for a Superior Room.

In-room safe (but the one in my room did not always close and lock properly).

Swing-arm magnification mirror in the bathroom -- a good amenity because it helps make shaving easier.

Directions: Very close to the bus station, train station, and Eyre Square.

• wadekorzan's Profile Photo

Good 4 star hotel, very central

Locared just a few steps away from the Eyre Square Hotel, the location is also excellent. However, this hotel is so inviting and the rooms are really very very nice. It is a great place to stay, but of course it is a bit more expensive than the hotel just next door. If you can afford it, it really is great.

More about Park House

Magnum Opis

by TripAdvisor Member screenelvis

Dear Reader,

I have stayed at the Park House Hotel in Galway on a number of occasions. It is by far one of the best hotels I have had the pleasure of enjoying. It is a spotlessly clean, friendly & warm hotel and is ideally located just off Eyre Sq. in Galway city. Myself and a group of friends stayed there at the begining of March this year.
The food for both breakfast and dinner are of the highest quality and are served in a welcoming and fresh restaurant.
The bedrooms are large and have beautiful en-suite bathrooms,(which are well stocked with brand-name shompoo etc!).
We were served at all times by really outstanding staff in all departments. The chivalrous porter even brought our bags to the train station for us on our departure. (F.Y.I. the train station is conveniently situated about 2 minutes walk from the hotel).
I have nothing bad to say about the Park House Hotel. It is a marvel, a hotel amongst hotels. I will stay there again, that is if I can get a room as I know they find themselves booked out far in advance.
My compliments to the manager and the staff of the hotel for their commitment to the word hospitality and to the well oiled ship that they run with such professionalism.

Cheers
Screen Elvis

One of my favorite hotels

Having stayed in any number of four and five-star properties, this is one of my favorites. I stayed for a few nights with several family members around Thanksgiving. Service is exceptionally friendly and efficient. The restaurant is excellent, particularly breakfast. Some of the rooms are in need of updating, but that is a minor complaint. The overall welcoming feel of the hotel is unique and wonderful.

Brilliant hotel!

Just back from a weekend at the Park House Hotel - anyone going to Galway MUST stay there! The hotel has a lovely atmosphere/buzz about it, so comfortable and welcoming. The food is absolutely superb - highly recommended. The rooms are spotless and everything about the hotel is 5* - for a 4* hotel! It is literally just off Eyre Square, right in the city centre and perfect location for shopping. Under-ground car park available and although a bit limited for space there is a multi-storey right next door. All in all - definitely be back again (this is our 3rd stay) - you won't be disappointed!
K O'Donnell, Co Tyrone

Great Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member akandal

My husband and I stayed at the Park House Hotel for 3 nights over St. Patricks day and really enjoyed our stay. We had booked a three night package with 2 dinners per person included. I was a bit worried about the dinners as I have had experiences in this kind of situation (fixed menu) that were not the greatest. My worries were not needed at all. The fixed dinner menu was FANTASTIC. You also had the option of choosing from the regular menu for certain courses if you so desired (if your total "bill" exceeded the amount allocated for the fixed menu, you would simply charge the difference to your room). The meals that we had at the Park House were amoung our favorites that we had during our two week trip to Ireland.

The only downside to the hotel was that our room was in need of updating (curtains/bedspreads etc.). It was a good room that looked into a courtyard that was not actually accessible, probably because it was so cold. The room was very quiet. The pub at the Park House was good as well, perfect for a Guinness after walking around Galway all day!

Great hotel, highest rating!

by TripAdvisor Member DanoIA

Stayed here 2 nights midweek in early March 2006. Got a good rate including one hotel dinner for 2, which turned out to be one of the best meals of our trip. I brought an old college friend here as part of his first trip to ireland, and we had a fantastic double room. The hotel pub had the best oysters of our week long trip and the people were as friendly and helpful as they had been during my family's stay the previous June. If you want to stay in downtown Galway and are willing to pay a little more, the Park House should be your choice!

An Irish gem, tucked away in the corner of Eyre Square

by TripAdvisor Member Photopedia

We stayed in the Park House Hotel for just a couple of nights and picked it because of its central location and the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor.
In some ways, its a typical Irish Hotel; not brash or slick, but homely in a very friendly sort of way. In other aspects, its far from typical. Its efficient, spotless and very well looked after. The staff are a mixture of Eastern European and Irish with a smattering of students from the University of Galway. Whoever trains them in customer service deserves a medal. Every single one of them was kind and anxious to make our stay a pleasure.
I've stayed in an awful lot of seedy, run down, hotels in Ireland (and especially Dublin). The Park House Hotel is the glorious exception to all these experiences. If you go to Galway then don't think of staying anywhere else.

Lovely hotel

We stayed in the Park House Hotel for 4 nights during May and had a fantastic time! The room was charming, the service was gracious and the location was spectacular! We would definitely go back! The only draw back was we were placed in a non-renovated room, which was lovely, just a little small.

A lovely hotel.............

by TripAdvisor Member burnsville traveler

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Park House Hotel. The service is outstanding, and the hotel is lovely. Our room was very quiet, and also very elegant, from the entry foyer through the room, to the bathroom. We ate at both the main restaurant and the bar, and the food was very good in both.

Comments