Park House

BillNJ's Profile Photo

Convenient 4-Star Hotel Near Eyre Square

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 11, 2009

I selected the Park House Hotel because it is very convenient to both the bus and train stations in Galway City. Another factor in my decision was that it advertised the amenity of an in-room safe (more about that below).

Through hotels.com, I booked a Superior Room for two nights at a promotional rate. My stay was on a Thursday and a Friday -- and, for whatever reason, the rate was significantly higher on Friday. For Thursday, the cost was $150 USD (100 Euros at the time of my trip) -- and, for Friday, the cost was $190 USD. A full Irish breakfast was included in the rate for a Superior Room.

In addition to convenience, I would describe the Park House Hotel as a luxurious hotel with old world charm. My room was large and well-furnished. Most importantly, the bed was very comfortable. The brochure lists the hotel as a 4-star establishment -- and I think that designation is accurate.

As advertised, there was a large in-room safe. I very much like this amenity in a hotel because of the convenience. However, the particular safe in my room did not always close and lock correctly; apparently, the unit badly needed refurbishing and/or upgrading. This problem caused unnecessary delays -- and was extremely frustrating. When I explained the problem to the front desk, I was told that other guests had experienced similar problems with the safes. The hotel offered to store my valuables in the safe deposit box at the front desk or to provide me with a different room. Initially, I chose to change to another room -- but I encountered the same problem with the safe in the second room! Since I liked the layout of the first room better, I moved back. For such a nice hotel, I simply don't understand why they don't refurbish and/or upgrade the in-room safes. This problem definitely marred what was otherwise a pretty good hotel experience.

On the plus side, I would definitely give the breakfast a high rating. There were a few options (including fish), but I chose the full Irish breakfast on both days. The atmosphere and quality of the food were top-notch.

The service at the hotel was very professional and responsive. However, I didn't find the folks with whom I interacted to be particularly warm and friendly. Also, when I inquired about a tour to the Cliffs of Moher, the gentleman at the front desk told me that it was necessary to buy a ticket from him for 25 Euros in advance. When I told him that I wanted one, he looked all around -- but he couldn't find one. As it turned out, I was able to purchase a ticket for 20 Euros the next morning at the Discover Ireland Centre down the street. My guess is that the hotel gets a commission from the tour operator. However, I would have appreciated an honest explanation of my tour options from the front desk instead of the "hard sell" that I got.

On my second night, I had a couple of drinks at the bar -- and then moved to a lounge with comfortable couches. The atmosphere in both the bar and lounge was pleasant and conducive to conversation. Later that night after I went to sleep in my room, I was awakened by the sound of a guy banging on a door nearby. After this banging went on for some time, I notified the front desk -- and they quickly sent someone from security to check it out. As it turned out, it was some guy who was locked out of his room -- and he didn't have his key card. Why didn't this drunken idiot go to the front desk for a new key card instead of banging on the door? I guess I'll never find out. While this problem was not the hotel's fault, it impacted my stay in a negative way.

Overall, I was satisfied with my 2-night stay at the Park House Hotel. I really liked the convenient location -- the room (except for the faulty safe) -- and the breakfast. However, now that I am familiar with Galway City, I would probably choose a less expensive place to stay. In a nutshell, I would rate the Park House as a very nice hotel -- but not necessarily a great value for the expensive price.

Unique Quality: Great location -- very convenient to the bus station, train station, Discover Ireland Centre, and Eyre Square.

Great full Irish breakfast included in the rate for a Superior Room.

In-room safe (but the one in my room did not always close and lock properly).

Swing-arm magnification mirror in the bathroom -- a good amenity because it helps make shaving easier.

Directions: Very close to the bus station, train station, and Eyre Square.

wadekorzan's Profile Photo

Good 4 star hotel, very central

by written on September 4, 2002

Locared just a few steps away from the Eyre Square Hotel, the location is also excellent. However, this hotel is so inviting and the rooms are really very very nice. It is a great place to stay, but of course it is a bit more expensive than the hotel just next door. If you can afford it, it really is great.

Nearby Park House

• Room Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Galway Travel Forum

Need advice about Galway, Ireland? Visit the Travel Forum for Galway and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Galway hotel reviews

Pubs and Inns
Rivers and Fishing
Galway Tour Company
Things to Do
Great food; great views; great service
Galway Cathedral
Things to Do
Fun bar-restaurant in the center of Galway
The shortest river in Ireland
Collegiate Church of St Nicholas of Myra
Galway to Letterfrack in Connemara
From Dublin Airport to Galway
Transportation
Follow your nose around Galway.
Take in the market.
Things to Do
Walk the riverside, Galway.
Things to Do
Eyre square - John F Kennedy square, Galway.
Things to Do
Great Fish & Chips - no heavy greasy taste.
Drive along the Coast