Rusheen Bay House Bed and Breakfast

Satisfaction Poor

More about Galway

Quirky looking shopfronts in GalwayQuirky looking shopfronts in Galway

Lynch's windowLynch's window

Look for the smiling lion outside!Look for the smiling lion outside!

Spanish ArchSpanish Arch

Ferries to Inish Moore late march

by MaggieDK

Me and my sister have planned to visit Inishmore late march. Being quite a control freak im already now trying to figure out how to get from one point to another, and it seem we might have stumbled across a little.. challenge!
We arrive at Galway on March 29 in the afternoon, where we'll drop of our luggage at the B&B on Salthill. We only intend to stay in Galway over the night and then my plan was to take some tourist bus towards The Burren and Cliff of Moher and then be dropped of at Doolin where I noticed a ferry was supposed to sail from. But apparently this starts service in April ? This mean.. Unfortunately, that we need to catch a ferry from Galway City or Rosslyn/Spiddal? Can anyone verify this please. I have found the plans for the ferries from Rosslyn and its looks as if we can't make it in time, if we take one of the guided busstorus to Cliffs of Moher, so im afraid I might need to change our plans. Was thinking that maybe, just maybe, there was some sort of private charter from Doolin?

Also.. I seem to recall reading somewhere that one of the tourist bus companies have a "passport" of some sort, where youre allowed to use their busses out one day, stay in a day overnight and take the bus back the next day, for the same price. I have been looking like a maniac, but can't find it again.

All help is much appreciated

Regards

Anne

Re: Ferries to Inish Moore late march

by kilnamona

hi maggie ,have good news for u , this company will be going from doolin after st patricks day Ok - humble apologies!
I tried them all and clareirishman (sorry CIM) is spot on - O'Brien's (I honestly had called them all for our own upcoming trip and got through to a lady who assured me that it was April 2nd for all operators!!!) will operate right after St Patricks.

Phone Liam :

Call Liam:

"If you have any questions about our services don't hesitate to contact me. I am glad to help in any way I can. My number is 00 353 87 9581465 when calling from outside Ireland, and 087 9581465 when calling within Ireland from Irish phone lines.
You can also email me at info@doolinferry.com"

Liam O'Brien

(He seems like a sound guy - I just got off the phone from him and his boat is the only one that'll operate before April...according to him. So..... he said that he'll sail right after St Patrick's day .....there.....bad advice from Ferdia...sorry about that!!:)

Re: Ferries to Inish Moore late march

by MaggieDK

Oh.. Looking good.. I have mailed him and awaits his response :)

Travel Tips for Galway

Picnic

by highlandlaura

Plan to Picnic for one meal every day. Visit a local market or small grocery store
and "take-away" sandwiches, cold meats, veggies, fruits, yoghurt, cheeses, pickles, wines, and find a spot for lunch and enjoy the scenery. Great places to stop along a stream, the River Corrib or seaside, also in any of the many local parks where you can hear live music in mild weather. The energy flow in this city is exhilerating! It's all the movement of people and tourists throughout the town and markets. I love the outdoor markets best of all in the old part of the town. You find a vast array of market stalls on Saturdays behind St. Nicholas church on the River Corrib.

Galway United Football Club [ S O C C E R ]

by PaddyPaddy

Go see Galway United at their home ground TERRYLAND PARK on every second Friday night at 7.30pm. The supporters are great fun. The pitch is one of the best soccer pitches in Europe...seeing is believing. You can also visit the stadium most days between 9.30am and 4.30pm. Hot food and Galway United merchandise are on sale on match days.

The Irish professioinal soccer season commences in April and finishes in November. Check out http://.www.fai.ie for fixtures The Irish summer is unpredictable. Terryland Park has plenty of cover to prevent sunburn and/or the pissing rain!

Get there 30 minutes before kick off and you can park at the ground.

A taxi from anywhere in the city will probably cost 6 to 10 Euro.
Call Galway Taxis 091 561111

A typical Galway Pub

by wadekorzan about King's Head Pub

Located on the pedestriane street called "High Street". There is music every night, 7 days a week, and Sunday mornings they do a jazz session. Deli lunch is available and big sporting events are show on big screen TV's. The building itself has lots of character and is probably THE place to go if you only go to one pub in Galway.

Using Ryanair to Galway (well Shannon)

by sourbugger

You cannot fly to Galway on Ryanair but fares are often very cheap to Shannon (just over 2 hours away by bus - see other tip)

Ryanair Shannon flights come in from Paris, Brussels and Frankfurt (Hahn) on Ryanair.
However by changing planes you can access Shannon on Ryanair from many other places.

Alternatively fly to Stansted and change there for the Shannon flight.

Via Frankfurt : Oslo, Stockholm, Pescara, Bologna, Rome, Pisa, Montpeilier, .

Via Brussels : Pisa, Rome, &
Carcassone.

AS Ryanair is point-to-point you have to offload baggage and connections are NOT guaranteed. Therefore plan on a changover of four hours, or an overnight stay at the transit point. To be on the safe side when flights come up very cheap you can always book a later flight and only use it if you get delayed.

It may be a bit of a hassle but it does work if you have the patience.

update 2005 : Ryanair appear to have buried the hatchett with the airport authortity and now feature the 14 routes to Shannon : from the UK, spain, Germany, france, Italy and Belgium. This therefore allows many more 'connections' - more than I care to list anyway.

Get beans at the store

by racheljapi about Grocery stores

I was so poor once I hit Galway that I had to pray when I went to the ATM. I had to cut back spending and it ended up being food money! What did I survive on (other then the free toast and coffee for Breakfast at the hostel)? I had baked beans on toast. Yes, sounds weird and not too tasty but it eased the pain of my belly and gave me money to see yet another thing in the wonderful world of Galway.

Comments