Seashore Lodge

More about Galway

The River CorribThe River Corrib

Another viewAnother view

River Goddess RestaurantRiver Goddess Restaurant

The extremely comfortable sun roomThe extremely comfortable sun room

Favorite Songs from/about Galway ?

by ernie01

We just got home from our trip to Galway and I'm still singing a Sawdoctor's tune under my breath. Iv'e been thinking of putting together a little compilation CD to listen to on my way to and from work. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a favorite "GALWAY" song.

So far I have
N17/Sawdoctors
Galway Bay/Clancy Brothers
Fairytale of New York/Pogues
The Galway Girl/Steve Earle

Any suggestions ?

Re: Favorite Songs from/about Galway ?

by kierk1

Hi Ernie
Here's a couple of old ones. Bing Crosby has a song with the lyric "to see the sun go down on Galway Bay". Also, a strange one and for me, hard to find, "Irish Mambo" by Alma Cogan.

Re: Favorite Songs from/about Galway ?

by WhispersWest

One of my favorites is Geraldine MacGowan's "Galway" which takes its lyrics from a poem by Oliver St John Gogarty, a contemporary of James Joyce. I think of it as a love song to Galway. You can find it on her Geraldine MAcGowan & Freinds ~ Timeless. Here is her website, http://www.tradmusicshop.com/wordpress/. She is a Doolin girl and her voice is simply amazing.

Slan Beo,

Bit

Travel Tips for Galway

The home of 'Angel'

by sourbugger

I'm not exactly a Buffy the vampire slayer sort of a guy, but I do know that the spin-off series 'Angel' is a popular one amongst people whom like that sort of thing.

Despite the dodgy Irish accent, Angel is supposed to have originated in Galway, appearing as a desperate womaniser and drunkard (i guess this means he would fit in well) in the 18
th century. Darla turned him into a vampire, whereupon he entered into a several centuries long feast of death and destruction, beginning with his own parents. He falls in love with Buffy, but due to curse put on him by a gypsy girl he was about to eat - he faces a dilemma. He no longer is a vampire, and his sould is restored, butif he has just one momemt of pleasure then the dark side will return !

I know how he feels.

Umm... We went to a pub over...

by heli

Umm... We went to a pub over the Wolfe Tone brigde, I guess it was Monroe´s. There was a group dancers, 4 girls and a young boy, who were going to a world championship competition to Scotland. Anyway, our hotel was in the Eyre Square but as we had left our map in the hotel, trying to get back from the Claddagh was a bit difficult. And it was far over midnight when we started our way home. Somehow we got lost and then we just kept on walking till we realized that we were going to a highway... Yeah, right, we didn´t even drink that much, but we just got lost. We had no idea where we were and there were no people around... Kinda freaky. Anyway, we prayed to Saint Patrick to get us to the hotel somehow and safe. Then, out of nothing suddenly came a free cab. You can´t even imagine how happy we were. I think that St. Patrick heard us and helped us out. Believe it or not.

The living room

by lina112 about Pubs (general)

Saturday evening it was 19.00 pm and we were looking for a pub to watch the match of the year REAL MADRID-BARCELONA. I don´t remember last time that i watched a football but that saturday was different. I enjoyed watching the match and Barcelona won Yessssss. My friend was not happy, Real Madrid lost. We had a very good time on this bar, after the match very good music.

Battered Salmon?

by Jennyjump79 about McDonagh's

McDonagh's has two sections, one for sit-down dinners with table service and a fast-food side. I stayed with the fast food, fish-and-chips side, and was not disappointed. You get a lot of fish for a relatively small price, and it's pretty good. I stuck to haddock or cod, though-- deep fried salmon just didn't appeal to me.

Oyster Festival: The Harvy Wall Banger Boys

by LolaSanFrancisco

In the lobby of the Raddison Hotel, the Oyster Ball had just gotten done in the main ball room and the place was swarming with Black Ties and ball gowns. The piano player was playing Elton John with great gusto.

I rode the elevator up to Palie?s room and woke her ***ass up belting out that I had just loved and lost a very hot man, but never mind that, lets get our best dress on and go to the Ball! And with in, miraculously, 10 minutes we were downstairs, drinking Harvey Wall Bangers and chatting with a very nice Anthony Hopkins look-alike millionaire from Dublin.

At about 4:00am, I was singing Willie Neilson songs to a rather large group of men, and trying to remember what was in a Harvey Wall Banger. As I said good night and parted ways, one bold man said: ?Aren?t you coming to my room?? To this I replied: ?You wouldn?t know what to do with me if I did.? This was the truth as I know it.

Comments