Spanish Parade, Galway, Western Ireland, Ireland
Booking.com Priceline.com Agoda.com

More about The House Hotel

Avoid this hotel if you value comfort

by Cherhell about Ardilaun House Hotel - Galway

The hotel lobby and facilities are very nice, and this is rated a four-star hotel. Most of the rooms are nice as well. However, I don't believe any of the rooms have air conditioning, and there are several rooms that are located near dumpsters, laundry elevators, etc. that can be quite noisy when the windows are open. Also, there are a batch of rooms on the first floor that you can't get to from the lobby without going up two flights of stairs and then back down another flight. These rooms are also pretty shabby and the doors are not very secure.
At least one of these rooms has a mold problem that caused a friend of mine to have a severe allergy attack the moment she stepped into the room. The rest of the rooms are pretty nice, but again, no air conditioning.

The desk staff were nice enough, but they don't seem to have their act together. We were told we could change rooms the day after we checked in, and our tour guide confirmed this the next morning. When we asked the desk what room we were changed to, they didn't know anything about it, and had to scrounge to find another room for us. We also requested things from the desk that never showed up, and the first room we stayed in did not have a hair dryer as advertised. When we called to request one, I went through about ten minutes of conversation while I tried to convince the desk clerk that I was not blind and that there was no hair dryer in the room.

Purrrfect

by TripAdvisor Member lizards1

We found the location perfect for exploring the city on foot and ariving back at the end of a long day to a great shower and crisp sheets was bliss. The little details are what sold it for me, complimentary broadband, fluffy robes and slippers, good coffee making machine, umbrella and of course those little nightly cookies. There was a facility to have therapeutic massage and other beauty treatments in your room (unfortunately I did not have time for this). The staff were friendly and helpful, breakfast was varied and delicious. This is a modern but not impersonal hotel, the decor is a nice blend of simplicity with a hint of the traditional. The title of this review reflects the cat symbol which appears all over the hotel in various guises, a quirkly touch!

Really hits all the right notes

by TripAdvisor Member MrSoft

Boutique hotels can be such a disappointment - sometimes shallow, too po-faced, or supposedly “minimalist” aka un-decorated – but we absolutely loved the House Hotel in Galway. The hotel website I believe massively undersells it. If you really value quality, quality, quality, you will not be disappointed.

We took one of their suites on the top floor. Price was acceptable and far better value than those 'luxury Irish castles' that leave me cold. The suite is cleverly designed to maximise space. It is not the hugest but then again perfect hotel rooms are cosy rather than lonely. The website does not make it clear but I can assure you, it IS two rooms - a separate lounge with a sliding door to close off the bedroom. Lounge is lovely, nice balcony, big flat screen TV, lovely sofa. Bedroom has a separate wardrobe area, its own window, and its own big flat screen TV again. I have stayed in many smart hotel rooms; this was without doubt the prettiest I ever stayed in. The quality of the bedding was outstanding and again way ahead of anything I've seen elsewhere.

Other reviewers have noted regular rooms are a bit small; offsetting this I would say that this hotel has a HUGE comfy lounge down on the ground floor, again immaculately furnished. They have successfully decorated this place to be very modern but avoided that austere feel you find elsewhere - it was very cosy.

Service was really good, friendly, happy and tolerant of our little one. Food, room service, the highest quality.

Very few gripes. Yes traffic is very busy outside the front door, but that's Galway. The bathroom was beautiful but suffered from the usual functionality issues (no soap dish, daft plug, inadequate storage space etc.). Good toiletries (L'Occitane), big watering can shower, big bath, bathrobes.

I had no major problem with the car park arrangement. I would say the hotel directions need improving. Galway traffic is hideous and you don't want to make too many orbits of the centre. My only other criticism is the terrible selection of movies they had but that's personal taste. Hopefully we will be back.

The House Rocks!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Rovers67

The difficulty with writing/reading reviews is that they are all subjective, the risk being that one person's feast is another's famine. To kick off I'll try and state some facts. It's location is perfect for Galway, at the edge of all the buzz but tucked away from all the clamour. No on-site parking but free parking in an adjacent secure car park is a straight 90 second walk away. Decor and atmosphere - contemporary by most standards. Space is maximised throughout the hotel from reception to the rooms but in a thoughful and comforting way. If you like your hotels to be bright and open spaced, then this is probably not the place for you. If you like your accomodation, food and service to be as snug and comfortable as a favourite armchair, then "The House" should fit the bill. On a more personal level, the hotel and staff made our 1st Wedding Aniversary very memorable. Everyone seemed to know we were celebrating based on the congrats we got from the pre-arrival phone call to see if we wanted to book the restaurant as it was filling up, to the charming welcome and note in our room (305) - on the corner with a small balcony. Breakfast in bed was a treat. We were some what over whelmed with the level of service in the restaurant on the Saturday night - all the serving staff were polite and happy to smile. Small observation was that the Restaurant Manager slightly confused speed of service with giving the impression he was rushed or rushing you. Seemed a bit out of character with the rest of the mood of the hotel. You will find both cheaper and more expensive hotels in Galway, but few will offer the same value as "The House". It rocks, no matter what the beat!!!!

Noise on Sat night a problem

by TripAdvisor Member Saraos

This is a lovely hotel, but be aware on a Sat night there is a live band playing downstairs (this week they played until 2.15). In a 1st floor room it was impossible to sleep. So request a 3rd floor room if you're not staying out late.

Didn't like the bathroom door mentioned by others either.

What a great place to stay - a real gem

by TripAdvisor Member Happy1travel

Booked the hotel on the strength of other recommendations on Tripadvisor and we weren't disappointed. Stayed for 2 nights with friends who were just as impressed. The Comfy rooms are small but good value, spotlessly clean and very chic. The service was excellent too. The hotel is close to the action but in a quiet spot and like people have said, parking a couple of minutes walk away is no hardship, especially when it's part of the package. All the good things people have said are true but we did not experience any of the minor irritations expressed by a very small number of others. I stay in hotels a lot and this one beats the pants off anything I've stayed in before. The biggest compliment I can give it is that we won't be staying anywhere else when we go back to Galway. One tip about booking. Use their own website and book for bed an breakfast. I'm not sure whether it was a time limited deal but it was considerably cheaper doing it that way.

oh my god what a hotel

by TripAdvisor Member WyattWestport

From the time we walked into the hotel, it was like coming home to granny’s for Christmas the front desk staff where so happy to see and help us. We parked are car outside the hotel, as the car park is a few seconds walk from the front door, it was the first time a hotel staff member every walked me to out side to actually give me good directions its so refreshing to see the Irish welcome is still alive and well.

The room was great and the funky bathrooms with the super cool doors I would love to know where they got them. We stayed in a classy room think it was 206 and that is what we got, what value for money, next time we will stay in a swanky suite, I had a wee look as the cleaning staff were working.

Breakfast was great, I had pancakes and my partner had the eggs ben, it was so fresh.

I would stay if you are looking for a plaice to chill out and have fun in the city the house is the one for you

cute, clean, snooty desk

by TripAdvisor Member TrustThis

When we arrived, per a driver, we were given a cold reception, had to almost force eye contact, check in people had snotty attitude. Got to wondering why we were there, after all, who was serving who? No assistance with luggage offered or provided. Expecting a well appointed room, compared to other photos, ours was small, spare. But clean. Did not particularly like glass door to bathroom, also the shower was glass and clever, but leaked all over the floor and we used most of our towels sopping up the shower leaks. Great, close location to Old Galway within easy walking distance. Had a beautiful breakfast buffet every morning, also ordered off the menu. Great, but tired, wait staff who were friendly and helpful. General complaint about this hotel is that the overhead music was odd, edgy, and way too loud in the lobby and restaurant.

Excellent location

by TripAdvisor Member MrsJoseph

The House Hotel in Galway was everything I expected. The room was luxurious but smallish. Fantastic bathroom - the door was a bit transparent but was out of vision so not really a problem. The food was great and the breakfast was delicious. The staff were professional, friendly and helpful and the surroundings and furnishings were extremely stylish. The location was ideal, I went out on my own and walked around Galway as the location was central. The parking was reduced rate and down the road. No problems with noise and you are ideally placed to enjoy Galway nightlife. Great hotel and great city!

Fantastic Hotel, will be back

by TripAdvisor Member dfmips

Just back from a weekend at "the house". Booked hotel purely on tripadvisor reviews & was not disappointed.
All staff are extremely pleasant & seem genuinely happy to see you, we were offered assistance with our baggage & receptionist was aware that I had booked hotel for our anniversary & was quick to congratulate us, a nice touch. An even nicer touch was the bottle of complimentary wine in our room!
If you can afford it, go for the "classy" room. Nice and spacious on the top floor. Rooms are v.nice, internet access through television & all the usual facilities you'd expect. Frosted bathroom door not a problem for us, we are married after all!
Breakfast is fantastic, you have to try the pancakes & bacon. The buffet was plentiful & all fruit was available, even at this time of year. We had strawberries & yoghurt to begin & before we sat down the waiter had removed the bowl to refill it, even though there was still plenty in it. Refreshing to see. We dropped in at lunch to leave some shopping bags & refresh, the bars lunch menu is v.good & we were pleasantly surprised. Before heading out for the night we had a quick drink at the bar & nuts were immediately made available to us, usually you have to pay for them in pubs across Ireland.
Location is fantastic, just a short stroll to the main bar area (Spanich Arch) in the city. Parking is not on-site but location isn't too far away & free so not an issue really.
All in all a fantastic hotel which we will be back to early in the new year.

Comments