Wellpark, Galway, Western Ireland, Ireland

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

How prentencious can you get ?

Philip Treacy may know a thing or two about hats, but it seems quite a jump to then give him a whole hotel to play with.

The public rooms have quite a 'wow' factor to them, with mad furnishings in pink, leopardskin and other such refined subtle colours and combinations. The effect can be fairly easily recreated in the comfort of your own home with a cocktail of illegal substances.

The rooms themselves are in more muted brown and bieges (arn't they all these days ?) whilst the staff wander around in jet black, looking like walking adverts for Guinness.

Unique Quality: The restaurant is well regarded, although portions are on the small side (a nod to nouvelle cuisine) but esquistiely presented and served. Costs an arm and a leg.

Don't count on the view - the rear looks out over the delights of a shopping centre, whilst the town view covers a murky stretch of water, a petrol station, a Paddy Power bookmakers and the local dog track.

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Just Gorgeous

Galway’s most infamous hotel, “the g”, is as beguiling as a stunning girl in one of designer Philip Treacy’s extraordinary hat creations. At times frivolous, always striking, and almost secretly practical, the hotel is a feast for the eyes. You will find yourself drawn into a reception that could be dreary on a rainy Autumn Galway day, with its use of black and chrome; however, gigantic bowls of fuchsia orchids lift the spirits.

A stunning salon in shades of old gold and cream provides the most restful public area in the hotel, with its huge marble fireplaces and glass tables that glisten from the inside like stars. A resident pianist entertins as you lounge and look out on Lough Atalya.

Smart ladies glide by into the pink room where morning coffee and afternoon tea are served. This is a pink room which really is BRIGHT, eye-shocking pink. It would be nice to say that the vibrancy of the décor is tempered by a swirling black and white rug, but in truth the feeling is one of being drawn down into a vortex of luxury and fun.

The evening will take you into the adjoining lounge, called the blue room, but which is in truth a combination of Eastern-looking jewelled colours of purple and gold and green. This room, and the adjoining cocktail bar, have tables with legs that cannot but bring to mind miniature electricity pylons or even twisted wire coat hangers. Heavily gilded mirrors give an overall feel of opulence. One might almost say that it was harem-like.

My bedroom was in the soft hues of gold and creamy white displayed in the main salon. The room was huge, with one long wall made entirely of glass. The bed was super-king size and so comfortable that I wished I could stay longer. A soft gold sofa and chairs at the foot of the bed embraced a glass table and faced a flat screen plasma TV which was set into the wall.

The bathroom was one of the nicest I have ever experienced with its oversized freestanding tub, the double shower, twin sinks, and Etre toiletries in large bottles (not the usual hotel miniatures).

Unique Quality: I would encourage you to indulge in several of the cocktails in the generous list served in the exotic cocktail lounge. You simply must dine in Riva at the g, the hotel’s restaurant. Lounge in the lounges, too, as you never know who you will spot. I spied a very famous American movie star and ended my wonderful evening in the company of some professional colleagues that I had never met before and who simply asked me to join them because they were, well, salt of the earth nice.

Finally, there is an Espa spa with staff who want to make your stay as relaxing as possible.

One thing I feel I should mention is that this is a hotel for fashion and fun and enjoyment. I chose it for a business meeting but I think perhaps I made a poor choice in that respect as both rooms and public areas are dimly lit and do not lend themselves to examination of documents. I had booked a room that was referred to as a “suite” on the hotel website as I thought I might take my meeting in the sitting room area. However, I ended up disappointed as the rooms are in fact junior suites with no separate divided room.

More about The g Hotel Galway

Best Lobster in Years

by SabrinaSummerville about Riva at the g

Riva is the name given to the upmarket but very fun restaurant at the amazing "g" hotel. They call it an Italian restaurant, but to me the menu was much more eclectic and so I have classed it as such.

I waited over half an hour for my table, and this was an annoying start. However, as my waiting place was the harem-coloured cocktail lounge of the hotel, and as I was sipping one of my absolute favourite blueberry martinis, this softened the wait for me.

When I was eventually led to my table I was pleased to note that tables are well spaced. I would prefer to have been by a wall or a window, but I imagine that those tables are coveted. As with all of this hotel, the decor was striking. The colours of the cocktail lounge are brought through to this dining rooom. Generously sized banquettes are used with vividly coloured chairs to seat larger parties.

Service is very pleasant, although again is slow. I was seated at 9.35pm for a 9pm sitting and didn't finish my meal until almost midnight, even though I was dining alone. You would not want to be in a hurry. I started with the foie gras, for which I have an absolute passion. I was gutted - it was presented well done. Everyone knows that foie gras should be like caramel on the outside and liquid inside. I was hungry, so I ate. It reminded me of the liver my Mum used to cook for us as one of her thrifty dinners when we were kids. When the waiter cleared my plate I told him of my disappointment. I usually keep my mouth shut, but overcooking foie gras is an insult to cooking. He looked at me strangely and apologised, saying that most of their customers ask for it well done. I had never heard of this before. Maybe it's a Galway thing..........

My main course was better - in fact I might have thought it was from a different kitchen! It was the most superb grilled lobster; a HUGE lobster, buttery to the taste and served with completely divine baby new potatoes which were drenched in butter. A crisp side salad accompanied this dish.

My dessert was also wonderful - pumpkin creme brulee (as it was Halloween week) with a cinnamon apple sorbet. Absolutely divine!

I enjoyed a 2002 Tokay Pinot Gris with my meal. It was perfect, although initially not chilled properly. I also had to ask the wine waiter to top it up between courses as they kept the bottle out of sight and out of reach and he was quite elusive.

Yes, in spite of my little cpmplaining I would certainly return.

will not be back

Just returned from a dreadful weekend at the G hotel,
Hotel does not cater for families at all. We found the staff very unprofessional and times i wondered if they knew what they were doing.
The food in the restaurant was very poor and service was slow.
The price for the weekend was certainly not worth the money.

We will not be returning to this hotel in the future.

Mixture thoughts

by TripAdvisor Member ET

We had mixture thoughts of the G hotel

Staff - Big thumbs up for being extreme professional, helpful and friendly
Decoration - No doubt for being very modern but we don’t feel comfortable.Something about the quirkiness makes us unease…
Room - Modern..Spacious ..thats about it..But hey - You can also buy the 'Anya Hindmarch' look-alike laundry bag for something like 30 euro... what a way to make money :)
Spa - The thermal suites definitely exclusive and the relaxation room is divine< Place where you can finish your book without distraction
Breakfast - No buffet breakfast was just a huge disappointment for 5* hotel .The only reason that I can think off is the level of customer are quite low for buffet..
Location - Behind a retail park and near a roundabout …Not great..but you can walk at along the lake 5 mins from the hotel
Price - Definitely pricey for what we got
Overall - Go for the experience ...for us...not going there again :)

little oasis of indulgence

Mine was a small stay at the G, but nonetheless a very rewarding one which is only making me more eager to return. Found the staff to be very friendly and accomodating on arrival with a very personable attitude. Rooms were immaculate - so much so that didn't want to leave them!!! The spa was wonderful and very private which is what one wants. Really enjoyed lounging in the bar with champagne cocktails - This was pampering at its best and the whole atmosphere of the Hotel made it feel special to be there.......we were really disappointed not to be staying longer!!!

5* all the way @ the g!

by TripAdvisor Member itchyfee2008

We enjoyed an excellent short stay at the g and what can we say, we received 5* treatment all the way! We were greeted by helpful and friendly staff who couldn't do enough for you! We were lucky enough to stay in a suite - what luxury, from the double showers, wonderful branded toiletries, open fire, flat screen tvs, well stocked mini bar and not forgetting the most comfortable bed on the planet!! We had a superb view of the lake which we enjoyed over breakfast in our room - and boy what a breakfast! I plumped for the healthy option - which consisted of the MOST delicious fruit muesli ever - I want it everyday! Smoked salmon on a slice of brown soda bread and topped with cottage cheese and if you have any more room left you also get a yummy fruit plate - no small portions here and lots of choice!

The design and decor of the hotel is truly outstanding, with something for everyone from the serene solange to the vibrant and sassy pink room (my fave) to a more conservative purple room - lots of choice and facilities on offer here - and don't forget the g'spa which uses yummy ESPA products - what more could you want from a hotel! The attention to detail is superb right down to the sparkling and inventive use of thousands of swarovski crystals in the tables and reception desk surface! This hotel makes a statement by using strong design, but it is done with such class that it all works so well together. Dark hallways to create an air of mystery, light and opulent decor in the rooms for peace and tranquillity - wonderful!

Oh and I almost forget on entering the room there on the table were the most delicious fairy cakes I have ever had - the food at this hotel was simply outstanding!!! We can't wait to go back for a longer stay! Well worth the visit!

There should be more hotels like this.

by TripAdvisor Member tolry

The two best things about this hotel are the lovely staff and the amazing design. Upon checking in we were taken on a tour of the hotel and some of its design features. At all times each member of staff was friendly and very helpful. It was as if no request was too much. The rooms are very, very luxurious (and we were in the standard), with great space and comfort. The beds are great. The bathrooms are spacious with wonderful attention to detail. The spa is out of this world!
The G is not cheap, but neither is it overpriced. We got excellent value for money considering the high level of service and luxurious design. It is very different and you need to enter its 'design space' with an open mind. Yet the staff are down-to-earth and unpretentious. There are some small glitches to be ironed out (eg, co-ordination in dining room service) but these do not take from the overall experience. The food is well thought out and delicious. However, 1 or 2 of the fish dishes (eg turbot and black sole) are overpriced. Nice wines, but could do with a few more choices in the 30-40Euro bracket.
Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our experience. I think the staff's helpfulness was the best point, and the beauty of Philip Treacy's design make it a hotel with a difference.

Nice Change

by TripAdvisor Member Croker95

This hotels decor is its main talking point, and rightly so. You either love it or find it a bit loud. I stayed with my wife for one night and we loved it but for a longer stay it may get a bit much. The spa is amazing and the staff great but the food and service a bit of a let down. The food standards are not up to 5 star and the staff are still not fully up to speed but I believe its not open long.

Sexy Decor, Beautiful modern espa spa, Great service!!!

Just returned from "the g". We were offered a double upgrade on arrival, given a quick tour of the hotel including sea horse aquarium, marylin monroes actual photograph from her own bedroom, the beautifully opulent reception rooms and bar etc.
Bedroom was lovely especially the double shower! Plasma TV with colour change background in the wall, superbly comfy bed, tastefully decorated room. Wondered what the room we should have got was like two grades down as the one we upgraded to was still not v large.?
Spa was great, very dramatic decor, very modern. Treatment rooms with choice of lighting colour, super comfortable treatment beds and talented therapists. Quite pricey but great for a special splash out occasion.
Went to hotel Restaurant on first evening and they had not got the wine we had ordered. They offered us a taste of another wine for free and spent time going through others we might like! Exceptionally good service beyond call of duty. Would however recommend getting out to dine in Galway. It has so much to offer its good to get into the city and find a restaurant. We noticed there was such a buzz in the city; such a good atmosphere.
Breakfast yummy!!! Birchers meusli, fruit platter, award winning sausages etc.
Staff's friendly service made us feel very at home. Would definitely recommend x

"g" at "the g" Hotel"g" at "the g" Hotel

House Hotel or G Hotel in Galway?

by dbdnyc

Don't know what the local transport is like. We are trying to decide between these 2 hotels. One is in the middle of town (House Hotel) and the other G Hotel is only slightly more in price but looks amazing, however it seems to be on the outskirts of the town. If anyone knows these places, could you suggest what is the better choice for 3 days as a base. We plan to go to Aran Island by ferry and Connemara. Thanks for any feedback.

Re: House Hotel or G Hotel in Galway?

by WhispersWest

Of the Two, House Hotel is closer to Eyre Square and all its environs. It is set in the Quay district. It is smaller and more intimate than the "G", as well. The "G" is a twenty-five minute walk to city centre and is set in a business park.

You might be interested in either the Park House Hotel, www.parkhousehotel.ie, or the Hotel Meyrick, www.hotelmeyrick.ie, as either are on the same par as the two at which you have already looked. Their benefit is in being in City Centre. The Hotel Meyrick overlooks Eyre square and is close to the train station, as well. Of the two, Hotel Meyrick has always been a favorite, as it has a rich history and the staff is attentive without being overbearing.

useful info

by dbdnyc

This is very helpful. I just found a great deal at Harbor House - www.harbour.ie/location.asp. I compared prices and availability on the ones you mentioned and Harbour house is about $50 cheaper a night (on the one website only) and seems good location. Do you know this hotel at all? Would you say it's good too? Thanks very much again!

Re: House Hotel or G Hotel in Galway?

by WhispersWest

Though I have not had the opportunity yet to stay at Harbour Hotel, I have been given a tour. It is right in City Centre and very modern. The rooms, if I recall, are furnished in amore modern style but the beds seemed comfortable. I did enjoy their bar. I believe it is teh "K".The potato skins were delicious and plentiful. I made a meal of those and a dram of whiskey. I am not sure which website you found, but you might check their site, as well, http://www.galwayharbourhotel.com/.

Slan Beo, Bit

Thanks Bit!

by dbdnyc

You've been most helpful. We just booked everything. We like modern so we're all set! Again if you ever need any info/guidance on London or NY, give a shout. My email is post2mehere@hotmail.com - 'I'd be most happy to return the favor!
Cheers!