Upper Newcastle, Dangan, Galway, Western Ireland, Ireland

Westwood House Hotel
Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Westwood House Galway

I was booked into this hotel as part of a conference package on 17th and 18th of February. The bill was paid in full at the time of booking. When I arrived at the hotel at 11.15pm I was informed that my room had been given to a family with a sick relative in the local hospital. The hotel had tried to contact my office about this, however this was after office hours and I did not receive the call.

I was moved to another hotel which was very nice but was not one of the conference hotels. I was the only conference delegate staying in the hotel. Westwood House did provide taxis between the other hotel and their hotel to allow me avail of the coach service between NUI Galway and Westwood House. However I feel that I was treated very badly by the Westwood House Hotel, the hotel entered into a contract to provide accommodation on 17th and 18th of February when they took the booking and full payment. While I acknowledge that the other guests were dealing with a difficult situation the hotel should have honoured their contract with me. Not only did NUI Galway select this as one of the conference hotels for delegates they also held the conference dinner in this hotel.

• WhispersWest's Profile Photo

Victorian Charm with Every Modern Convenience

We chose the Westwood House because of its seeming remoteness while maintaining a close proximity to City Centre. Decidely Voctorian in it exterior trimmings, it is thoroughly modern on the inside.

The staff was pleasant, efficient and well versed in things to see and do in Galway. Our room was well decorated with internet access,which was an added bonus. The bed linens were so luxurious that I had to be pried from my bed. The bathrooms are phenomenal with heated mirrors, strong showers and fluffy bath towels. The breakfasts were phenomenal. They even served REAL coffee.

Our two night stay here was our one splurge, as it is pricey for budget travelers but worth every penny.

Unique Quality: Heated Bathroom Mirrors
    Comfortable, sink into beds
    Non-Smoking Rooms which are not in the center of smoking rooms
    Lifts
    Disabled Access and Special Rooms

Directions: Located on the periphery of Galway city in the University quarter, on the Galway-Clifden Road

• lina112's Profile Photo

Great Hotel

I slept on my friend´s house so i did not use a hotel when I was in Galway. My friend was working in this hotel and she said that is the best hotel in Galway.

More about Westwood House Hotel Galway

COUNTRY SURROUNDINGS IN THE CITY....

by eden_teuling about WESTWOOD HOUSE HOTEL

This **** Westwood House Hotel boasts a PRIME location on the edge of Galway City and at the gateway to CONNEMARA (see my CONNEMARA PAGE).

It is situated amidst lovely green and yet it is only 5 minutes from Galway City Centre, the University and the seaside resort of Salthill.
Perfectly situated for those wishing to experience excitement of the city and/or the rugged and more tranquil landscape of Connemara, which is really wonderful ....I can recommend the hotel as well as CONNEMARA to you..... There are 58 rooms, all perfectly fine, extensive lounge areas and the FAMOUS MERIDIAN RESTAURANT.......

There is a split-level bar and other extras....

Wonderful Stay at The Westwood

by TripAdvisor Member Dublinella

I'm just back from a wonderful stay at the westwood house hotel. My partner and I stayed there for 2 nights and really have no complaints. The decor was quirky, the rooms were very clean. The staff were all very friendly. Fantastic breakfasts as well. The pub was again clean and friendly. The room we stayed in was spacious, had a good sized tv and wardrobe. The bathroom en suite was very large and clean. I really enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend. Only €9 for a taxi home at the end of the night too!!

Absolutely recommandable!!

by TripAdvisor Member suecurly

Very cozy and absolute clean rooms! Price is alright for Ireland! Before leaving Irleand we also stayed in Dublin for 1 night in a hotel, the price difference was 10 Euros less there - the room was old and run down in the dublin hotel, no comparision to the Westwood house hotel! We would come back! Thanks to the staff!!!

Superior Room

by TripAdvisor Member Fidge9

We are just back from a two night stay in the Westwood House Hotel. The room was fabulous and the service was excellent. Lovely big bed which was very soft and the carpet was SO soft!! Nice bathrobes and slippers and the decor was very funky.

We ate in the bar and had breakfast and both meals were very enjoyable - nice food and friendly staff.

The hotel is five minutes drive from the Centre of Galway and a taxi only costs nine euro if you are having a drink.

The only problem I had was that you can't turn the room lights off when you get into bed - you have to knock them off with the "Master" switch over by the door!!

I would definitely recommend the hotel to young couples.

Mediocre service and noisy

by TripAdvisor Member Dubskin

The Westwood House Hotel is out of town and about a €10 taxi ride away from city centre. I stayed for 2 nights on a business trip. The check in was smooth and effortless and I proceeded to my room on the first floor of the building (Room 105). The room is large-ish and obviously catering for families as there was a double and single bed. The décor is country hotel but there is a worktop with free internet access, flat screen TV and tea/coffee making facilities (no mini bar).

The bathroom is large but lets the entire room down by the overhead light not working (never fixed during the stay) and mould surrounding the bathtub. The choice of toiletries was limited to shampoo and moisturiser. No bath gel to be had.

I decided to order room service but was left waiting for 45 minutes, when I called I was told their printer was out of order. A call back to let me know would have been nice. What arrived was different from what I ordered and not very good at that. The food (steak) was cold, except for the chowder (which I hadn’t ordered).

When I informed the front desk they took the wrongly delivered order off the bill (but as I discovered later added another room service charge for the deduction, madness).

The real problem with the hotel is that it is catering for social functions (weddings etc.) right under your bed. On the second night no sleep was possible until after 2.30 am as it appeared as if I was sleeping in a bed on a dance floor. When I called the front desk I could only get a grumpy duty officer who told me that I should complain in the morning.

When I came down the next morning at 8 am some people from the wedding were still being served drink in the bar while I was having breakfast. Not a very reputable thing to do for a hotel. It looked more like an early house from my breakfast table and I could see straight into the bar where the cleaners circumnavigated the drunks. On the breakfast note, food was good though served by someone who barely spoke English (unfortunately a growing phenomenon in the Irish hospitality industry).

When I checked out I mention all of this but was just handed the names of the manager if I wanted to complain…. One way of getting rid of the paying customer I guess.

As I said to the receptionist the Westwood House Hotel needs to choose whether they want an entertainment venue or a hotel but with the way the place is built and the lack of sound insulation they cannot have it both ways. Of course they earn a lot more from one wedding compared to my 2 nights at € 119 a night. But they sure lost a potential regular customer (not to mention the other 8 colleagues of mine who were staying there at the time, 2 were sent to another hotel due to overbooking).

great hotle for the family!

by TripAdvisor Member alivl

great hotel, room very spacious, and no extra charge for my 2 kids aged 8 and 10, and a camp bed provided with no hassle. Beautiful breakfast and spotlessly clean. Check out the deals online, we paid 99 euro for the 4 of us! Will be going again!

perfect in everything.

by TripAdvisor Member Big_John_Inthesmoke

Traveling round Ireland we stopped in at the Westwood House.

This has to be one of the best hotel i have ever stayed in.

With the traditional Irish wedding at reception on arrival to 4* breakfast served in the morning.

The room was unbeleivable and breathtaking.

Thank you to the hotel - they should all be like this one.

WESTWOOD HOUSE HOTELWESTWOOD HOUSE HOTEL