County Galway Hotels

Our Members Say

Letterfrack Lodge

I had emailed Letterfrack Lodge to make a reservation a few weeks before coming. I reserved a bed in a female dorm for three nights and it was 18 Euro per night (February 2013). I stayed in a dorm, but there are also private rooms with or without bathroom.

In the reception of Letterfrack Lodge there is a telephone and a telephone number to the owner Mike. So when I arrived I called and Mike arrived within a few minutes so that I could check in. I was the only guest in the dorm for all three nights and I got a key to it so it was like having a private room. The room was clean and there was a bathroom with hot water in the shower, but the room was very cold. There were no reading lights and the lamp in the roof was not very bright.

I used the kitchen in the evening and sat in the common room eating. There are also sofas and a TV there. Breakfast is not included in the price so I had bought my own, but they served breakfast anyway the two first mornings I was there. As I had my own breakfast I ate from that but I drank the freshly brewed coffee that was provided, and instant coffee for the last morning when no breakfast was prepared. In the evening it was very cold in the common room, like in the dorm where I stayed, but someone staying in one of the private rooms said it was warmer there.

During my stay there were only a few more guests staying at the lodge, a few workers working temporary at Kylemore Abbey and one couple arriving one evening. Everyone else seemed to go out to eat at the pubs in the evenings.

Letterfrack Lodge is situated just 1-2 minutes’ walk from where the buses stop in Letterfrack.

• Written March 24, 2013

Letterfrack Lodge

Clifden Town Hostel

I arrived to Clifden already at 9.15 and realised it was probably too early to check in, but hoped I could put my luggage in a storage room while walking the Sky Road. I entered Clifden Town Hostel but didn’t see anyone. At the reception there was a telephone and a telephone number to call, so I did so. I was told that I could put my luggage in the lounge opposite. There was no locked storage room and as the hostel was open and anyone could go into the lounge I didn’t feel comfortable about leaving my backpack there. I called back and was told I could put the bag in the dorm after check-out time at 11. Meanwhile I took a short walk around town and went to a café.

At 11o’clock I could put my backpack in a dorm. It was a four-bed dorm facing Market Street. There were no lockers in the room and no reading light. What was very god in the evening was that the room was warm (until then I had been freezing inside every hostel since I came to Ireland). The bathroom and showers were down the corridor. There was no key to the room and that was one thing I didn’t like as there were no lockers either.

When I was at Clifden Town Hostel in the morning I had seen as much as five people, all were checking out that morning. When I came back I didn’t see anyone, no guests and no staff until the next morning when the woman running the place arrived just as finished breakfast. I went early to bed but didn’t like the fact that I seemed to be alone in this unlocked building (they lock the front door later at night).

There is a common room and a kitchen. Breakfast is not included but in the kitchen there is coffee and tea to use.

For one night I paid 18 Euro (March 2013).

• Written March 18, 2013

Clifden Town Hostel

Kinlay House Hostel

I booked a dorm bed at Kinlay Hostel a few weeks before coming to Galway. The reason I chose Kinlay Hostel is because the location seemed to be good, they had got good reviews, they had female dorms with lookers and breakfast was included.

Kinlay Hostel is a large hostel with a big variety of dorms and private rooms. I stayed in a 6-bed female dorm with a bathroom. The toilet and shower was in the bathroom but the sink was in the dorm (which I didn’t like). Where I slept there was no reading light but at the two other bunk beds there were. Linen is provided and under the bed there were lookers. For the lookers you need your own padlock.

There is a kitchen which was very busy in the evening. In the morning you can’t use the kitchen, but the hostel serves a good and well organized breakfast which is included in the price. There were bread and scones, butter and jam, cereals and muesli, milk and juice, coffee and tea, and apples. I’m not sure at what time breakfast is served, but one morning I came to the kitchen already at 7am and it was ready.

There is a chill out area, and besides free Wi-Fi there are three computers to use, which I liked as I don’t have a laptop or iPad and I don’t bring my phone when I travel.

At the hostel you can book tours to Cliffs of Moher and to Connemara.

I paid 19 Euro per night (February 2013).

• Written March 17, 2013

Kinlay House Hostel, Galway

• Luke08 profile photo Luke08
  • Reviews: 2

Bay Veiw Camping: Best camsite in Galway City

This Camsite is Located in Salthill, just on the outskirts of the city.It provides clean and modern facilities.

Has an outstanding Scenic veiw of GalwayBay, and is situated within walking distance of the Atlantic Ocean.

• Written September 18, 2008

• Krumel profile photo Krumel
  • Reviews: 385

Sleepzone

Sleepzone is a centrally located, very clean and comfortable hostel. We paid €18 for a bed in a 6-bed ensuite dorm, and this price included a help-yourself breakfast with coffee, tea, toast, jam and orangejuice.

Can highly recommend it.

• Related to: Backpacking
  • Written June 27, 2006

• Marla_D profile photo Marla_D
  • Reviews: 55

Seamist House: Seamist House

This is a lovely B&B in the centre of Clifden. The rooms are comfortable & nicely decorated. The breakfast will keep you going for a good few hours anyway! There's the usual cereal, fruit, yogurts, juice, cheeses, homemade bread& jam, & you can choose from full Irish breakfast, American pancakes, scrambled egg & smoked salmon, very nice!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Arts and Culture, Beaches
  • Written June 10, 2006

• Timothycheng profile photo Timothycheng
  • Reviews: 3

Sleepzone Galway city: Sleepzone

It's been a excellent experience to stay in Sleepzone. We've stayed in a twin private room for 5 days. The room is in reasonable size and are well equipped with 2 tables, tables lamps, a large wardrobe, and heater. We actually stayed in the 3 bed self-catering apartment in which we shared the kitchen, washing machine and tv with only 2 neighbours.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written October 10, 2005

• rexvaughan profile photo rexvaughan
  • Reviews: 1138

Zetland Country House Hotel: Elegant Country House

This charming hotel was built originally in the early 19th C as a Sporting Lodge and takes its name from the Earl of Zetland who was a frequent visitor in those days. There is a large and charming sitting room with a fireplace and lots of comfortable sofas and chairs. The Pendergast family who run it are most professional and have a very cordial and capable staff of young people from all over. The dining room overlooks the bay and is furnished with antique sideboards and the family silver.

This is an elegant accommodation in a naturally beautiful setting on Cashel Bay. The grounds have some mature plantings and some natural flora which make it a charming setting as well. It is well named as it is in the country and not really close to any town of any size.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written August 13, 2005

Zetland House Gardens

• globetrott profile photo globetrott
  • Reviews: 7702

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Asford Castle in Cong: One of the "Leading small hotels in the world"

Ashford Castle was the hotel where all of the famous actors of the movie "The Quiet man" did stay, while the movie was made, and a lot of secenes were also made in the gardens and the giant park of the hotel, like this small hut along the river flowing through the hotel-park.

Ashford castle dates back to the year 1228 and it is the only luxury hotel in that part of Ireland and their park is open to the public, even the bustour for all fans of the movie will stop there.
Click on my link below and see their great web-page with lots of excellent pics and they even have a toll-free telephone-number from the USA !

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Luxury Travel, Adventure Travel
  • Written July 6, 2005
Tip Photo

in the park of Ashford castle

• Marpessa profile photo Marpessa
  • Reviews: 535

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Corrib Village: a cool 'village'

From June to September the Corrib Village is used as Bed and Breakfast accomodation. I stayed here for two nights. The room was a good size, although not a heap of room, but enough. The bathroom was good, fairly new. There was also a TV.

During the summer they run a free shuttle bus from Corrib Village to Eyre Square, Galway. Continental breakfast is included in the price.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Backpacking
  • Written September 16, 2004

Corrib Village

• dassi profile photo dassi
  • Reviews: 76

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sleepzone: The best hostel I have stayed in.

I had the pleasure to stay in the sleepzone for some time when I stayed in Galway in the year 2001. I stayed ther for about 2 months I think and I just loved it.
It was not opened officially untill sometime after I came in there.
Deffenatly the best hostel I have stayed and I highly reccomend the place.

This hostel is just THE HOSTEL to stay in, you have everything :friendly staff, nice rooms Breakfast included, nice showers and toilets, good cooking area and good dining room.It was always clean and tighty. And what I did like the most good fast internet conection. And now I heard that they have free wireless. From the Sleepzone you only have a few minutes walk to the whole thing, shops and nightlife and the night life in Galway is just greate.
Deffenatly the best hostel I have stayed and I highly reccomend the place.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written August 24, 2004

• sue_stone profile photo sue_stone
  • Reviews: 2318

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Griffin Lodge: Central Galway B&B

We stayed for one night in Galway at Griffin Lodge.

It is located only a 5 minute walk from the heart of Galway.

Our room was nothing fancy, but had a huge bathroom and was more than adequate for our needs.

Breakfast was tasty.

The manager, Anne, was incredibly friendly and helpful with suggestions and sightseeing options in the area. She really made us feel welcome.

It was in a really convenient location for Galway sights.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written July 11, 2004

Griffin Lodge

• eden_teuling profile photo eden_teuling
  • Reviews: 2297

STATION HOUSE HOTEL: A LANDMARK IN CONNEMARA....

Once in Connemara, this is a wonderful place to stay!
Clifden is wonderfully situated on the main Galway to Clifden Road.
Thje hotel is built on the site of the former Clifden Railway Station.

Tastefully developed it features 78 perfect rooms and also a Bar, aswimmingpool, sun lounge and more......

The Station House is located in a region abound with activities: hill-walking, climbing, water sports, angling, Golf and Cruises to the Aran Islands or Killary.....

everything you could wish for in wonderful surroundings....

• Written October 30, 2003

RAILWAY STATION HOTEL

• eden_teuling profile photo eden_teuling
  • Reviews: 2297

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

WESTWOOD HOUSE HOTEL: COUNTRY SURROUNDINGS IN THE CITY....

This **** Westwood House Hotel boasts a PRIME location on the edge of Galway City and at the gateway to CONNEMARA (see my CONNEMARA PAGE).

It is situated amidst lovely green and yet it is only 5 minutes from Galway City Centre, the University and the seaside resort of Salthill.
Perfectly situated for those wishing to experience excitement of the city and/or the rugged and more tranquil landscape of Connemara, which is really wonderful ....I can recommend the hotel as well as CONNEMARA to you.....

There are 58 rooms, all perfectly fine, extensive lounge areas and the FAMOUS MERIDIAN RESTAURANT.......

There is a split-level bar and other extras....

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written October 30, 2003

WESTWOOD HOUSE HOTEL

• Krumel profile photo Krumel
  • Reviews: 385

Sandy Beach B&B, Mweenish Island

If you want to get away from it all, this is certainly the place to go to. Mweenish Island near Carna in southern Connemara is waywayway off the beaten path, but believe you me, the scenery you are driving through in order to get there, and the view from your room are well worth it. The landscape is what you imagine Connemara to be like: mountains with little lakes strewn among them, and every once in a while you get a glimpse of the sea. And become hardly anybody strays so far off the main road between Clifden and Oughterard you are likely to have all this all for yourself.

The first picture in the "Connemara Coast" travelogue is the view we had from our room.

• Written July 12, 2003