Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Letterfrack Lodge

I had emailed Letterfrack Lodge to make a reservation a few weeks before coming. I reserved a bed in a female dorm for three nights and it was 18 Euro per night (February 2013). I stayed in a dorm, but there are also private rooms with or without bathroom.

In the reception of Letterfrack Lodge there is a telephone and a telephone number to the owner Mike. So when I arrived I called and Mike arrived within a few minutes so that I could check in. I was the only guest in the dorm for all three nights and I got a key to it so it was like having a private room. The room was clean and there was a bathroom with hot water in the shower, but the room was very cold. There were no reading lights and the lamp in the roof was not very bright.

I used the kitchen in the evening and sat in the common room eating. There are also sofas and a TV there. Breakfast is not included in the price so I had bought my own, but they served breakfast anyway the two first mornings I was there. As I had my own breakfast I ate from that but I drank the freshly brewed coffee that was provided, and instant coffee for the last morning when no breakfast was prepared. In the evening it was very cold in the common room, like in the dorm where I stayed, but someone staying in one of the private rooms said it was warmer there.

During my stay there were only a few more guests staying at the lodge, a few workers working temporary at Kylemore Abbey and one couple arriving one evening. Everyone else seemed to go out to eat at the pubs in the evenings.

Letterfrack Lodge is situated just 1-2 minutes’ walk from where the buses stop in Letterfrack.

Travel Tips for Letterfrack

Hosteling in Letterfrack

by LadyXoc

"The Hostel"

Built by a Quaker family in 1840 and then used for 100 years as a monestary. The accomodations were very inexpensive and I enjoyed the dorm-like atmosphere. The free breakfast provided in the morning was very healthy. Here is a picture of the room I slept in. Private rooms are also available. The monestary sleeps 50 and I do believe I saw a tent or two out back. Vanessa and I seemed to be the only Americans. There were many German and Swiss visitors during our stay.
It seems from other travel reviews I have read some people thought the hostel less than spotlessly clean. I camp a lot and live with three teenagers. I did not see anything offensive.
If your travel budget or your desire to be adventurous finds you wanting to stay somewhere other than a hotel or B&B then try the Old Monestary Hostel.
The peat fire heating the bathroom did wonders to dry my hiking shoes:)
website http://www.oldmonasteryhostel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=40

"The outside"

This is the hostel from the outside. From Letterfrack we went to the Connemara area to see Kylemore Abby.

Comments