Annascaul Road, Dingle, Dingle Peninsula, Ireland

Expedia.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• ciaran12's Profile Photo

Dingle's best hotel

The Skellig is a lovely hotel. the staff are all nice and most of them are locals. Their is usually entertainment at night in the Blasket Pub which is in the hotel. It has a very nice pool but usually their are loads of people in it. The Hotel has two Kids clubs one from 0-4 and the other is 4-16 (Kids aged 10 or over would not like it at all). The hotel is right on the beach and a 5 minute walk from downtown Dingle.

Unique Quality: Brilliant views of Dingle Bay and a round tower, which name I dont know. Sometimes you can see Fungi (The Dolphin) from the hotel, try and get a room with a view of the Bay.

Directions: Right beside the beach.

More about Dingle Skellig Hotel

Loved the Dingle Skellig

by TripAdvisor Member Teddy020

I was reading some reviews of the Dingle Skellig Hotel and I felt I really had to respond; I spent an absolutely wonderful few days in Dingle recently with my husband. We were completely pampered in the Spa – which is totally childfree! There was also a section of the bar that was adult only and it was perfect after dinner. Eventhough there were plenty of children around the Hotel, they didn’t interfere with us, and we were able to enjoy it all in peace.

Harbor Walk to the Lighthouse

by travelfrosch

A fun thing to do, especially if you're jet-lagged (as we were), is to take a walk along Dingle Harbor. You can't go wrong traveling either way -- past Ventry Manor to Eask Tower, or to the Lighthouse. We chose to do the latter. Despite the heavy rain when we did it, the views were magnificent. Supposedly, it's also a way to see Fungi the Dolphin for free, but it was too stormy for us to tell dolphin splashes from whitecaps. Be sure to bring Gore-Tex coats and good boots, as rain can start at any time, and the trail is likely to be muddy.

From the main road, turn right just past Bambury's Guesthouse and just before the town limits. Continue past Skellig's Hotel and on to the Coast Guard Station. Turn left. You should be where Sara is standing in the photo above. Walk past the wall and continue along the path to the tower, and on to the lighthouse. Give our regards to the cows and sheep you encounter along the way. Enjoy!

Overpriced and shabby. Could do with a serious revamp.

by TripAdvisor Member surfer87

On its website, the Dingle Skellig has four stars, so I had reasonable expectations. However, like other reviewers, I was very disappointed at how tired the decor was and the shabbiness of the rooms. I had been told in advance that it was a family-oriented hotel; I feel sorry for families if this is what is considered the best that is on offer to them. I would advise couples looking for a relaxing/romantic break to avoid this place and instead try a smart/upmarket B&B. Breakfast was lacklustre foodwise. It was also noisy and served in an extension that was similar to a hall in a primary school. All of this for what wasn't exactly a cheap price (180 for a night). This place is probably guaranteed business because it attracts families who may not be very welcome elsewhere and also because it is one of the few (only?) hotels in Dingle with leisure facilities. This is a pity because there is obviously no incentive for them to smarten up their act.

blissful getaway

by TripAdvisor Member CorkPants

Spent a weekend in April with my boyfriend in the Skellig Hotel. I must say it was my first time taking a weekend break in ireland, rather than going abroad to a European city, and i really enjoyed it. How could you not love being pampered ??!the spa was very relaxing and what made it even better were the views surrounding the hotel. You can admire them while taking a well earned soak in the heated hot tub!
to add to the experience staff were very friendly and helpful, especially the receptionists. Dingle is a lively and family orientated town, just like the Skellig

So much potential, not lived up to.

by TripAdvisor Member Davey4910

On paper, the Dingle Skellig should be an automatic choice to spend a few days discovering the beautiful Dingle Peninsula. Unfortunately, it doesn't live up to it's own hype, and leaves you feeling let down and confused that something that could be so good really isn't what you expected.

Check in was efficient and friendly. We stayed in a standard room which was spacious and had a nice flat screen TV. The view was also lovely, looking over cow fields and, in the distance, the Dingle Harbour. The hotel is a 10 minute stroll in to town, either by an unsteady path by the water, or by footath on a road. Unfortunately thats where the good points end.

One reason I stayed in the Skellig was to be able to go for a swim. Disappointingly however, swimming hats are essential??!! Maybe i'm being harsh, but I don't go for a relaxing swim to have to put a tight rubber cap over my head. A quite ridiculous rule.

The bar areas are tired and worn. The views out in to a courtyard were spoilt by dusty windows, and the cocktail bar doesn't serve cocktails. Strange. The television in the bar has next to no picture at all, and remained that way for the whole of our stay, surely someone has noticed?

Breakfast was below average. The pudding was deep fried and dry, the fried eggs were hard, and the sausages were standard 'catering suppliers' fayre. The excellent view from the restaurant went someway to making up for the disappointment however.

The restaurant menu is a good 15 euros more than you would pay in town, but we didn't try it, breakfast hardly inspired confidence in the quality of food.

All in all we had a comfortable stay, but the hotel has so much promise that you can't help feeling disappointed that it wasn't the excellent hotel you hoped it would be.

Shabby, Tired and Noisy

by TripAdvisor Member ITALIA1234

I had my wedding reception in the Dingle Skellig in 2004, and have very fond memories of a beautiful hotel. My husband and I decided to return there for a 2 day break at the beginning of April. On arrival, I requested to upgrade to a suite, and was offered a choice of the Presidential Suite or an Executive Suite. I took the keys for both to check them out. The Presidential was the one we had stayed in for our Wedding. I could not believe how tired and old it looked. The decor was worn and the windows (in the Presidential suite, you have 3 walls of windows in the living area) were filthy. We made a quick decision not to take that at €100 extra per night! We then checked out the Executive suite which appeared much better and agreed to take it at €60 extra per night. Here’s where the story begins.....
The Bedroom: All 3 soap dispensers in the bathroom were broken, so we had no soap. On the 2nd morning when I looked in the cupboard under the sink in the bathroom, water came flowing out once I opened the door! I put some towels on the floor and left the cupboard doors open so that the chambermaid would see it. If she did, then she did not report it, because it was the same when we got back. When you turned on the tap, the water flowed out on to the floor!! The toilet seat would not stay up - a pet hate of my husbands. The blankets had several 'big' stains and one of the bedside lockers had a sticky glass stain on it which would have come off with the wipe of a damp cloth. Who checks the chambermaid’s work I wonder?? I would hate to see the standard bedrooms. They must be awful.

The Bar: Very, very tired and full of crying babies and children running around. Nice friendly staff though.

The Restaurant: Dirty! We had 4 sittings in the restaurant, 2 for breakfast and 2 for dinner. Each time we had a different table and each time the wall (which the table was up against) was grubby with splash marks. A wipe of a cloth with a bit of CIF would have sorted the problem easily. This was quite off putting to look at each time. Food was ok. We asked for an A La Carte menu but were advised that there was not any! Only the same set menu available each evening with limited choice. I would recommend the bar food more so than the restaurant.

Reception Area: Tired and one of the windows is damaged (totally fogged up). This did not happen today or yesterday. Why hasn't it been fixed??

Overall: We were disappointed with our stay. We were so looking forward to returning the Skellig. We will not be returning there until such time as it has undergone a complete MAJOR refurbishment. The Management there has to realise that enough is enough. You cannot get as long as they have got without refurbishing. The amount of children 'let loose' by their parents was extremely frustrating! Have people lost all control of their children? Again, I blame the Management for not intervening and asking people to control their kids. I saw one child in the restaurant running straight into one of the waiters who had a tray full of bowls of hot soup……..

I filled out a comment card before I left and asked reception to give it to Graham Fitzgerald the Manager of the hotel. Mr Fitzgerald sent me a letter last week thanking me for my comments and looks forward to seeing me again at the hotel. He’ll be waiting…………..

Too Many Kids!

by TripAdvisor Member kshelden

The hotel is described as "family oriented". What is really means it is completly overun with small children. We stayed here for two nights the first week of April. Almost everyone except for us had at least 3 children under the age of 6. There were so many strollers and crying infants in the breakfast room. Older children were allowed in the bar until late. We couldn't begin to use the pool because of the number of children. Children were running around the halls and making huge amounts of noise. The main dining room is so noisy even at dinner you can hardly hear. The rooms are shabby and way over priced. We spent 10 days touring Ireland and this was the only hotel that I would never go back to again. The beautiful view does not make up for the unpleasant atmosphere.

Over-Rated

by TripAdvisor Member MDH_CoClare

Stayed Fri-Sun in what the hotel calls an 'executive suite'.... no remote for the TV, and on two consecutive days I had to ask for bath-towels. Lots of kids, which I have no particular problem with, but the hotel makes absolutely no effort to reserve even a small area of the bar for adults (signage about children not being allowed after 6:30pm in the so-called cocktail bar, appears to be an 'optional thing'). Great views from the restaurant, but the food is average at best. Breakfast is particularly poor (and noisy), and dinner just isn't worth the effort. Better idea to take a short stroll to one of the great restaurants in Dingle itself. Staff in general are quite stern-faced and not particularly friendly, and overall the hotel and bar is over-priced. Would I go back there again?.. No. Would I recommend it?... if you have young children.. the pool facility is great and there's always something going on to keep kids entertained.

What a place!!! Excellent!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Baz1409

I recently enjoyed a lovely break in Dingle; we availed of a great last minute offer seing as the weather was looking good. We had breakfasts in the Hotel, but we tried out a few of the fab restaurants in Dingle for our dinners. But I must say the most amazing part of our trip was the scenery - we took a drive around Slea head - it took us the whole day as we stopped at every beach and viewing point - it was just amazing!

Comments