Virginia's Guesthouse Kenmare

Dabs's Profile Photo

Comfortable B&B in town

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 5, 2009

Even with the slow economy, I was not finding a lot of bargains in County Kerry, home to the Ring of Kerry and Beara Peninsula. I wanted to get a hotel that was in between the Ring of Kerry and the Beara Peninsula and I finally settled on a double room in one of the more popular B&Bs in Kenmare, Virginia's Guesthouse.

We arrived in the early evening around 7 pm, there are two main roads in Kenmare so we drove up one and down the other and spotted Virginia's Guesthouse. There was no parking on Henry Street, so we headed back around the block and found parking in a free public lot. We used the phone in reception to dial the owner, 5 minutes later he was there to let us in and show us around. The owners, Neil and Noreen, are extremely friendly, we chatted a bit that night and then again over breakfast in the morning.

The location was perfect for us, easy to find, right in the center of town so you could walk to restaurants, shops and pubs, and a perfect location to finish up a day on the Ring of Kerry and start a new day on the Beara Peninsula

Cash only, they will take a credit card to reserve but expect you to settle the bill with cash

Unique Quality: Room-if you are looking for a frilly and flowery B&B experience, this is not your place. But if you are looking for a comfortable bed in a clean room, give Virginia's a try

Bathroom-plenty of hot water, shower only, heated towel rack

Breakfast-best part of the stay, they have you sign up the night before for a time and a meal selection so the food is ready when you sit down. Toast, juice, coffee, tea, followed by porridge, followed by your choice of several meals, I had the awesome banana pancake, David tried the full Irish breakfast. Yum!

Directions: Right in the center of town

Virginia's Guesthouse in Kenmare, Co. Kerry

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 26, 2005

Virginia's, adjacent to Mulcahey's Restaurant, is run by a friendly and cheerful couple, Noreen and Neil. This B&B is very clean, bright, cheerful, neat and welcoming. I had a great night's sleep, which is saying a lot considering the head cold I've got and experiencing an 11 hour time difference. You do hear your B&B neighbors and motor traffic a bit, but it's really not bad. Again, very clean, very nice, and breakfast -- scrambled eggs, toast, tea/coffee, porridge, even banana pancakes on the menu 'though I didn't try them, ham, etc. -- was very good. Just don't plan on shaving your legs while there -- or in most B&Bs -- unless you know a little yoga; shower stalls are small.

P.S. Great location; cute town. Really wish I'd taken a picture of this place; it's adorable.

Directions: Over Mulcahey's Restaurant

Irelands Warmest Welcome & Best Breakfast

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 1, 2005

The moment my husband and I walked into Virginias, we had a nice cosy feeling about the place. Neil welcomed us warmly and showed us around. You can tell that he loves this house, where he was born. Our room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. We had dinner in Mulcahys (downstairs) on Neils recommendation. That was something else! Fantastic! (The chef is apparently in the running for the top chef in Ireland with Food and Wine Magazine). Next morning, breakfast was spectacular. We had heard about it and we were not disappointed. Noreens Porridge was the best either of us had ever eaten (and now we know her secret). I had Poached Fruit in Cardomom Syrup. My husband had Blue Cheese Pears & Bacon and he loved it. Neil spent time with us after breakfast planning our ongoing route. We will never forget this lovely warm & cosy house and we will definitely return.

Unique Quality: There were no views or facilities as such at Virginias, but what we did get here was a very genuine welcome and a feeling that we didn't want to leave the place. Quite rare nowadays. Breakfast was by far the best we had on our trip.

Directions: Town Centre Location

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Virginia's Guesthouse Kenmare

• Free High Speed Internet

Kenmare Travel Forum

Need advice about Kenmare, Ireland? Visit the Travel Forum for Kenmare and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Kenmare hotel reviews