36 Henry Street, Kenmare, ROI, Ireland

Booking.com AMOMA.com

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Comfortable B&B in town

Even with the slow economy, I was not finding a lot of bargains in County Kerry, home to the Ring of Kerry and Beara Peninsula. I wanted to get a hotel that was in between the Ring of Kerry and the Beara Peninsula and I finally settled on a double room in one of the more popular B&Bs in Kenmare, Virginia's Guesthouse.

We arrived in the early evening around 7 pm, there are two main roads in Kenmare so we drove up one and down the other and spotted Virginia's Guesthouse. There was no parking on Henry Street, so we headed back around the block and found parking in a free public lot. We used the phone in reception to dial the owner, 5 minutes later he was there to let us in and show us around. The owners, Neil and Noreen, are extremely friendly, we chatted a bit that night and then again over breakfast in the morning.

The location was perfect for us, easy to find, right in the center of town so you could walk to restaurants, shops and pubs, and a perfect location to finish up a day on the Ring of Kerry and start a new day on the Beara Peninsula

Cash only, they will take a credit card to reserve but expect you to settle the bill with cash

Unique Quality: Room-if you are looking for a frilly and flowery B&B experience, this is not your place. But if you are looking for a comfortable bed in a clean room, give Virginia's a try

Bathroom-plenty of hot water, shower only, heated towel rack

Breakfast-best part of the stay, they have you sign up the night before for a time and a meal selection so the food is ready when you sit down. Toast, juice, coffee, tea, followed by porridge, followed by your choice of several meals, I had the awesome banana pancake, David tried the full Irish breakfast. Yum!

Directions: Right in the center of town

• Virginia's Guesthouse in Kenmare, Co. Kerry

Virginia's, adjacent to Mulcahey's Restaurant, is run by a friendly and cheerful couple, Noreen and Neil. This B&B is very clean, bright, cheerful, neat and welcoming. I had a great night's sleep, which is saying a lot considering the head cold I've got and experiencing an 11 hour time difference. You do hear your B&B neighbors and motor traffic a bit, but it's really not bad. Again, very clean, very nice, and breakfast -- scrambled eggs, toast, tea/coffee, porridge, even banana pancakes on the menu 'though I didn't try them, ham, etc. -- was very good. Just don't plan on shaving your legs while there -- or in most B&Bs -- unless you know a little yoga; shower stalls are small.

P.S. Great location; cute town. Really wish I'd taken a picture of this place; it's adorable.

Directions: Over Mulcahey's Restaurant

• Irelands Warmest Welcome & Best Breakfast

The moment my husband and I walked into Virginias, we had a nice cosy feeling about the place. Neil welcomed us warmly and showed us around. You can tell that he loves this house, where he was born. Our room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. We had dinner in Mulcahys (downstairs) on Neils recommendation. That was something else! Fantastic! (The chef is apparently in the running for the top chef in Ireland with Food and Wine Magazine). Next morning, breakfast was spectacular. We had heard about it and we were not disappointed. Noreens Porridge was the best either of us had ever eaten (and now we know her secret). I had Poached Fruit in Cardomom Syrup. My husband had Blue Cheese Pears & Bacon and he loved it. Neil spent time with us after breakfast planning our ongoing route. We will never forget this lovely warm & cosy house and we will definitely return.

Unique Quality: There were no views or facilities as such at Virginias, but what we did get here was a very genuine welcome and a feeling that we didn't want to leave the place. Quite rare nowadays. Breakfast was by far the best we had on our trip.

Directions: Town Centre Location

More about Virginia's Guesthouse Kenmare

Fantastic

What a fantastic experience!

When my husband and I decided to get married in Kenmare, we knew that we wanted to stay in a bed and breakfast with our family and friends. Virginia’s Guesthouse turned out to be the perfect place, located right in the heart of the town. From the wonderful hospitality to the impeccably decorated rooms to the outstanding breakfasts – our stay was the perfect vacation/wedding get-a-way! Noreen and Neil made us feel like extended family even going beyond the call and helping us plan our wedding. It was because of Noreen and Neil that our stay turned out to be such a special one! Thank you for the life long memories! Marguerite and Doug - USA

Loved It !

My wife and I stayed at Virginia's for two nights in May. It is in a great location. It's in the center of Kenmare which is a fine home base for the surrounding area. Next time our stay will be longer.
We arrived at Virginia's late afternoon with a flat tire. Neil immediately took control of the situation. He called his sevice man and stayed at the guesthouse into the evening until the tire was fixed and put on the car. The following morning he guided us to a great hiking area nearby. Neil is a gracious host who seems to enjoy his business.
Noreen makes one of the finest breakfast around. The homemade porridge, marmalades and brown bread are not to be missed. The rooms are clean and comfortable.
Neil and Noreen are friendly, enjoyable hosts who take pride in running their establishment. In our two week vacation, Virginia's was one of the finest accomodations we encountered.

Neil and Noreen are the best

We stayed for only one night, but I hope to go back soon. Wonderfully friendly hosts, with a great breakfast and superb location in the heart of Kenmare. Our room overlooked the street, but still seemed quiet. Highly recommended.

So Good We Went Back For More

My husband and I recently spent a week in Ireland, starting off in Shannon and driving South, stopping off for nights here and there. Our favourite town was Kenmare and our favourite Bed and Breakfast was by far Virginia's. Our room was lovely & clean, we felt very much at home here and breakfast was by far the best we had the whole week. On our way back up to Shannon, we changed our itinerary so that we could spend another night at Virginia's, we loved it so much. We will definitely go back, but next time for longer.

Simply Superb....

by TripAdvisor Member Stu

When you find somewhere that gives you quality from start to finish, yet still provides that personal touch, you want to tell others. My wife and I had just one night at Virginias, and we were both sad to leave. The room was first rate (the photos on the website don't really show you the attention to detail), the food delicious, and the location perfect. The best part of the stay for us though, was our hosts, Neil and Noreen. Friendly and helpful, yet unobtrusive. You can find b&b in the area for a few euros less, but you would miss out on a real treat if you do. Will return without hesitation if we go to that part of the world again.

Perfect In Every Way

by TripAdvisor Member sftraveler155

My husband and I traveled Ireland with my mother in September and had a perfect two-night stay at Virginia's. We wished it could have been longer. We both had lovely rooms and the breakfasts were excellent. As everyone else has said, the real 'extra' was the hospitality of Neil and Noreen. We felt like we had made new friends! We found nothing close to this in any of the other B&B's we found on the rest of our trip. Thanks, Neil and Noreen, you're the best!

Fabulous find, great value, warm welcome, gourmet breakfast

Lovely welcome from Neil, we felt like family rather than paying guests, but in no way obtrusive.

Lots and lots of channels on the cable TV.

Generous breakfast.

Powerful shower.

Just like all the others said: we too wish we stayed for longer.

Comments