Arus Antoine B&B

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Killarney

Staigue FortStaigue Fort

Muckross HouseMuckross House

Two Tasty Bites;-)Two Tasty Bites;-)

a village of the stone-age in Dingle islanda village of the stone-age in Dingle island

killarney

by okoshi

Will be in Killarney for a week hopefully to just relax and hike. Are there any recommended eateries and pubs ?

by zuriga

Buckley's pub in Killarney is a good one. You can call to see what night they have live music sessions.. we had a great evening there.

Hi there,

I am such a huge Killarney fan and I envy you no end for the opportunity to visit.

Unfortunately Killarney has earned itself the name of Ireland's most touristy town and many of the pubs live up to this reputation. But I still enjoy most of the pubs all the same.

Try the Danny Mann - especially if you're there on a Monday or Saturday when Spailpin performs. Those guys rock.

Murphy's, O'Connor's and Sheehan's are also very nice pubs and if you want to try something not all that Irish but still very cool, go for the Kube.

Have yourself a great time.
Déwald

By the way, for the best view you can get over Killarney and the Lakes, go to Aghadoe. It's a nice viewpoint about 15mins drive from Killarney.

by healy_ger

The grand hotel is a good place to go during the week, a lot of tourists go there. There is usually traditional irish music in the bar, there is also a night club if you're not interested in that. Courtneys is also one of my favourites, a chilled out pub, great place for a pint. Gabys is probably the best restaurant in the town, it is a little more expensive than the others. The Flesk is also good, they usually give big portions which might be needed after a day's hiking. Hope this is of help to you.

by Deefstes

I have to add my two cents worth regarding the Grand Hotel. I used to live in Ireland for two years during which time I visited Kerry and Killarney on numerous occasions (being a super fan of the place).

So early this year, after a business trip to the States, I visited Ireland on my way back home to South Africa. Naturally I made sure that I include a visit to Killarney on that trip.

I took my sister who was also visiting at the time and a friend with and we popped into the Grand Hotel hearing Irish music playing inside. Imagine my shock of horror when I found that the only Irish people in the pub where the bartenders, the musicians and my friend. The rest (bar myself and my sister) was American acting very American. For a moment there I found myself right back in the States where I just escaped from.

Needless to say, we promptly left the Grand Hotel for greener pastures. So as far as I'm concerned the GH will not see me again anytime soon and neither will it get any references from me.

Déwald

by Celticfawn

How wonderful!
Buckleys is super - most nites there are locals playing. GH holds trad cailles behind the bar - Americans will be in the bar area with country western music and the locals will be out back.
Mustang Sally's is good for a quick bite. Danny Manns is full of tourists but they do have some good musicians.
If you have a car drive down to the Dingle and eat at the Stone House (just south of Ventry)- really is special!
Buy picnic supplies at the supermarket - They have a great pack there to carry your food and drinks.
Don't miss the great waterfall in the Blackwater (the back way in to the Gap)
The climb up above the Torc Waterfall is grand too.

Travel Tips for Killarney

arrange an "Irish trafic jam"

by globetrott

All over Ireland you may see plenty of postcards about an "Irish Trafic-jam" with plenty of sheep in the streets and of course you might get the idea to make your own pics of it...
Dingle is a good place for that, even though it mostly will never happen the way you expect it, so have your camera handy, just in case...
Simply try to be quicker in finding a great place to take the picture, than I did ! I simply was 2 minutes too late to climb up one of these side-walls, but I was lucky anyway somehow...
Believe me, if you want to arrange such a picture by waiting at a crossing for some sheep, it SIMPLY WILL NOT WORK, it might be the best to arrange such a picture with the help of the local farmers !
I took this picture in one of the side-roads in Dingle-island.

Garlic Burgers

by mrdarius about ???

Ok ok ok...maybe one shouldn't eat at burger joints while on vacation in Ireland, but we had just left Tatler Jack and it was late and we were starving. I can't remember the name as of right now, but it was very similar to McDonald's, but much better. If anyone who has been to Killarney or lives there knows the name of the place I'm thinking of, please let me know. GARLIC BURGER!! I'm drooling as I write this. On our way out of Killarney, we even picked up a couple of these burgers for the road. So good! Great drunken hungry food.

You can take a jaunty ride...

by kathycollins

You can take a jaunty ride through the Gap of Dunloe. No cars are permitted there in summer (though our B&B host took us through when he visited a friend who lives back there!) It is an awesome valley. You won't forget its beauty!

Meeting of the waters

by Deefstes

The three lakes of Killarney all mix into each other at the "meeting of the waters". The whole area is splendid and there are lovely walks that you can take.

The birdge on this picture is where the waters actually meet - even though I don't quite understand how you draw a border between two lakes if they flow into each other.

The tourists flock here as much as the sheep.

by feline01

I love this part of Ireland. It is green, clean, and quiet (away from the coach tours). Great outdoor opportunities await from an easy walk though the parklands surrounding Killarney to a bike ride around the Ring of Kerry. It would be difficult to find a crappy pub and the locals are friendly and helpful. Killarney has a fantastic youth hostel set in beautiful grounds. Dingle Peninsula is a photographer's dream. Views of the Atlantic dotted with islands that contain ancient stone ruins. Sheep and puffins in every shot. And did I mention that the pubs are great? Just be prepared for rain and you can't go wrong.

Comments