Castlerosse Hotel Killarney

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Castlerosse Hotel Killarney

Not at all impressed

by TripAdvisor Member GeorgiB

Stay in the Castlerosse hotel annually for a recurring family function, and I dread this experience every year. It is a drab, depressing, dirty and old fashioned building, the rooms are damp and musty, and I could hear the family in the room next door arguing as only a thin door seperated us.
The food is revolting, standard hotel muck, badly cooked, cheap ingredients. Expect to queue for up to an hour for your breakfast which they do not serve in the room...

Seriously, give this place a very wide berth, it is horrendous...

Monster Mash!

by TripAdvisor Member paullally1

If I was to die and find that Heaven was in fact the Castlerosse hotel, I don't think I would feel too badly short-changed! This week-long stay was my second visit, lured back by the hotel's wonderful location overlooking Killarney's Lower Lake, itself perfectly framed by mountains. What a joy to sit in the restaurant and watch the mist rising off the lake in the morning, or dusk falling in the evening! Throw in the leisure facilities, particularly the challenging and scenic 9-hole golf course, and entertainment in the form of Irish music most nights, and I could be happy here for a long time.
I upgraded to a lake-view room, not cheap at an extra 20 euro per night, but probably worth it to make the occasion more special. It was spacious and comfortable, with both bath and shower and of course that marvellous view.
Food was pretty good, although somewhat lacking in variety. Breakfast was a hot or cold buffet that never varied, and dinner a five-course affair with choices of all courses and which ended with tea or coffee served in a sizeable pot which was left on the table--a nice touch. The service, incidentally, was faultless despite the hotel being very busy for most of the week. The soups were always excellent, but the main courses, although beautifully cooked, were rather let down by the fact that the accompanying vegetables were the same every night and did not even vary according to which main course was chosen. This led to some bizarre combinations: carrots and broccoli may be a suitable accompaniment to some dishes, but they certainly do not go with fish (for example)! Even stranger was the fact that EVERY main course during the week was accompanied by boiled and mashed potato (no variations), which was a great shame as some of the options,like roast lamb and roast beef, positively cried out for roast potatoes or something similar.
I tried to get round this one night by ordering an a la carte option of steak and chips. The chips duly appeared, but so did the ubiquitous boiled and mashed! Is it a reaction to the Potato Famine, or what?
However, this was a minor irritation. There were others: the requirement to book an evening meal time the night before was a constraint I could have done without when my chief daytime activity was mountain walking. And the requirement to wear swimming hats in the pool, which I find most unpleasant, seemed frankly absurd.
A car is more or less essential as Killarney, astonishingly, has no bus service, and it's a brisk 25 minute walk into town. But as someone once said, the Killarney area shows what the Almighty can do when He's in a good mood. Don't miss it!

Golf Cottages great for families

by TripAdvisor Member AMurray

We stayed in the Golf lodges in September 2007 with our 19 month old son. It was ideal for a family with children. The lodges are lovely with great views of the lake and golf course (ask for a lake view lodge, slightly more expensive). There are two large en suite bedrooms in each lodge and a sizeable reception come dining room downstairs with great views. When you stay in these lodges you are eligible to use the swimming pool and leisure facilities which are nice, if not somewhat busy. I would definitely recommend this for families however it is a good walk from Killarney town so you would definitely need a car. There is a lovely playground about 2-3 mins drive away.

Give this one a miss

by TripAdvisor Member Sandie29Kilkenny

Overall I think there are many beautiful hotels in Killarney town which out rank this one by far. No entairtainment at night besides a sing song in the bar. I also felt my 16 month old baby was made far from welcome in the restaurent and bar and they also had the cheek to
charge €5.50 for his meal!! The Bar stopped serving food at 8 and the
restaurent upstairs was way too expensive and comprised of sea food. As we were never able to get to the bar before 8 we ended up having to go for our meals into the Gleneagle hotel which is a bigger, brighter, and friendlier hotel.

We had to pay to have a mountain view, and had to walk at least 1/2 mile everytime we went up or came back from our room as we seemed to be based at the very back off the hotel. The lobby was freezing in the night with both doors left often, so you couldnt possibly sit in it with a small baby. All in all I wouldnt return to this hotel as there are much nicer and better ones in Killarney. Very dissapointing
stay and in my opinion much better suited to older couples with no children and people who love golf!!

An OK experience

by TripAdvisor Member redcling

We stayed in one of the self-catering lodges over Christmas, which is not the best time, admittedly, to judge the entire hotel, as the main hotel was closed during this period. However, we had fairly high hopes of the place after reading other reviews on this site, and were sadly somewhat disappointed.

The lodge was freezing cold when we arrived, and most of the heaters had broken buttons, and no real instructions on how to use them. Only with all the heaters and the fire on full blast for several hours did the place warm up, but heating remained an issue for the whole week, and made the lodge quite uncomfortable and difficult to relax in at times.

We actually asked to move to a different lodge but never received an answer to this. We made our concerns very apparent to staff, who did little or nothing to help improve the situation. Clearly it's not ideal to leave all heaters on for so long in a place where you pay for the electricity used, on top of the set rate for the lodge itself.

There are good points about this hotel - a lovely location, easy to walk directly in to the National Park from the hotel itself, and close to the town. Having full use of the swimming pool and small gym is also a bonus. The leisure centre is not exclusively for the hotel however, and can get quite busy with children and other visitors. The lodge was a good size, with a nice big kitchen - though this was only minimally equipped with the most basic level of stuff you'd need for a week's self-catering. The walls in between the lodges are quite thin, and we were woken several times by noise from the next door lodge.

Although the staff at the main reception were always friendly and helpful, the lodges and hotel have certainly seen better days, and are pretty shabby around the edges. All in all, I think there are nicer places to stay for the price in Killarney, though this place is probably a good option for families with young children.

It may be a completely different experience once the main hotel open again in the New Year. During our stay, the restaurant was also closed, and there was obviously no entertainment in the evenings.

Nice Place, shame about the management

by TripAdvisor Member Donabate

Stayed in one of the little bungalows, very clean and comfortable with excellent space for 4. Location is very scenic and of course Killarney and the surrounding area has much to offer. I remember staying in 2002. I'm still bothered by the reaction of the Manager in post at that time when I approached reception to inform them that my 6 months pregnant wife had tumbled in a pothole (later treated in Tralee A&E for a fractured ankle) whilst strolling along the path through the golf course at the rear of the hotel. Without bothering to emerge from his little office to the side of reception he instructed the receptionist to inform me that the path had nothing to do with him! No enquiry or concern as to his guests welfare. I'll always remember Castlerosse, but not just for it's views.

great wedding

by TripAdvisor Member amgar

We have just had our 100 guest wedding here ! It was a fantastic day ,staff were always helpful and friendly .food was fantastic ,even catering for that number! Reception room was fab with stunning views for photos etc.Also family and friends stayed at the hotel and were also happy . Its a relaxed,family orientated hotel I think ,no notions etc which suited us.Also it was great value.We're grateful to all the staff of Castlerosse .Cant wait to go back. We were also given lists of bands etc so minimal effort for us !

Nice location but terrible food

by TripAdvisor Member milliars

Myself, wife and one year old stayed for a weekend. The hotel location is wonderful with great views of the lakes and mountains. The room was just OK, a bit functional. My real complaint is the food. Breakfast is simply awful. It's obvious the hotel uses cheap ingredients. Breakfast is a buffet with a poor selection of fried food including very substandard sausages. The butter and jam spreads were terrible, cheap mass produced rubbish. The bar food, while edible is well below what should be expected in such a hotel. We had a main evening meal in the hotel restaurant. To begin with my starter consisted of three thin slices of chicken on a limp salad with no dressing, barely edible. My wife's starter of a ham type dish was simply inedible. My main course of beef Stroganoff consisted of beef slices on rice with some type of juice - awful. My Wife could not even bear to eat her Pork dish. Desert was edible...barely. We did complain to the restaurant manager but all she did was replace my Stroganoff with an almost equally repulsive one. We complained the next morning to the hotel manager before checking out and he refunded us 50 Euro. All in all not a good experience. A pity because the hotel location is great.

Great stay, great price, lovely welcome

by TripAdvisor Member Eileen77

I stayed in the cottages for a weekend away in May. On arrival at the hotel we were showed to our self catering cottage on the grounds of the hotel by the very kind girl at reception. We were very happy with the accommodation - 2 large bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living room and kitchen. We had breakfast and dinner in the hotel and we were impressed especially after reading some of the reviews. We thought the breakfast was great. Buffet all you could eat and the staff were really nice. It really filled us up for the day. Dinner was very tasty and good value for money. Although we didn't use the leisure club the pool and gym looked clean and very spacious. Overall I thought the hotel was lovely and we got very good value for what we paid. The views from the restaurant and bar were fantastic and there is a path thru the golf course into the park that will take you into town. I would recommend this hotel to family/friends.

Pleasantly Surprised

by TripAdvisor Member Titiangold

Although slightly worried about the negative reviews on Tripadvisor we went ahead with our booking - mainly due to the activities on offer at this hotel.

On arrival I loved the location and our room was at the back of the hotel facing the golf course with views to the lake & mountains beyond. We were never bothered by noise from other rooms or the main hotel & the room itself was perfectly adequate for our stay.

Breakfast was fine with plenty to choose from - all the usual suspects present - and the restaurant was never busy so we always got a window seat (I was surprised since we stayed over a weekend). We didn't eat in the restaurant at night but did have bar meals a couple of times & the food here was ok. Not a huge selection & the kitchen seems to think that potato wedges are a vegatable & the dishes are a bit overpriced.

From the activities available we played golf & would advise that if you have to hire clubs etc. this is a costly pursuit. Green fees, club & trolley hire, balls, tees for two came to EUR 60. Tennis is free however along with the gym & pool.

This hotel is excellently located to explore Killarney & the surrounding areas & all in all we had a great short break here.

No nappies!No nappies!

Dining room at breakfastDining room at breakfast

View from above steep slope towards the coastline.View from above steep slope towards the coastline.

houses along the Ring of Skellighouses along the Ring of Skellig