Friar's Glen

Mangerton Road, Killarney, County Kerry, Ireland

• tvdm's Profile Photo

Muckross magic

Friar's Glen is a very good Bed an Breakfast option. Although prices go up, this one is a delight for it's country living at its best!

Unique Quality: Hotel service for a B'n'B price.

Directions: Muckross, just a few minutes driving south of Killarney town.

More about Friar's Glen

Outstanding County House

by TripAdvisor Member AJSWestCounrtyUK

Friars Glen offers its guests excellent accommodation, our party stayed for 2 nights over the Easter holiday. The rooms were very comfortable, spotlessly clean and very well presented. The cooked breakfasts are excellent with a wide choice on offer.
The location is outstanding, set in the Killarney National Park and only 5 minutes away from the heart of Killarney.
Mary & John Fuller the owners have that very special friendly Irish charm about them and they have created a Country House of great charm and comfort. And we can unreservabliy recommend it and look forward to returning again soon.

Hidden gem with outstanding Irish hospitality

by TripAdvisor Member Yeegan

Killarney was the second stop on my girlfriend and my week's tour of southern Ireland and proved our favourite town. A fan of the English Lake District, we couldn't help but fall in love with the place.

In a vibrant tourist town, you are spoilt for choice for accommodation with hotel and B&B signs lining the roads. I had found Friar's Glen from tripadvisor reviews and the fact that this little country house survives in its quieter location speaks volumes for the service it offers. A lot of the bookings are repeat custom or recommendations and this is reflected in the comments book in the foyer.

Friar's Glen is off the N71, about 4km south of Killarney. To explore the area and appreciate what it has to offer, it's essential to have a car. There are quite a few car parks in town and they don't charge after 6.30pm, so it's a cheap trip into town for dinner at night.

Friar's Glen is in a lovely country location with views of nearby hills. The decor and furnishings are of high quality but very country house with a lovely lounge and fireplace with a real fire every evening. Our room was large and well furnished with a nice bathroom. The views from the bedroom and breakfast were of lovely countryside.

However, the thing which makes Friar's Glen special is the Irish hospitality. Bridget did most of the hostess duties during our stay though we did also meet Mary and John, the owners of the house and also the garden centre next door, which is well worth a visit. On our arrival, Bridget gave us a warm welcome and sat us in the lounge for tea and biscuits and talked us through the major sites of the area with accompanying map and instructions. She also recommended local places to eat and nothing was too much trouble - we had made enquiries about Skelligs chocolate which my girlfriend had been told about before our arrival and Bridget rang them up for more details without us asking.

Breakfast was a wide variety of cold and warm dishes. The scrambled egg is proper scrambled egg! As usual, the huge Irish breakfasts meant no space for lunch, even on the day that we tackled the 7 mile Gap of Dunloe walk.

Mary organised some excursions for us on the lake and through the Gap of Dunloe. We were very lucky with the weather and had some great trips around Killarney. The boat trip on the lake is great but bring a jumper as the wind off the lake made it chilly even on a sunny day. The walk through the Gap of Dunloe is a moderate 2.5-3 hour hike but has nice views. Only trouble we had was a vandalised phone box and an unhelpful lady at Kate Kearney's cottage at the end of our walk made calling the return taxi difficult but fortunately the staff at the Coffee Pot restaurant opposite the road were more helpful. We had a very leisurely 7 hour drive round the Ring of Kerry with stunning views round virtually every corner and an essential stop at the aforementioned Skellig Chocolate factory. Our last day was spent very enjoyably at the beautiful Muckross House and gardens which were beautifully kept and the house tour was well worth the admission fee. Muckross House was our favourite house of the trip and we were a bit disappointed by the nearby Bantry House and gardens, which weren't kept to the same standard as Muckross House.

Food--wise in Killarney, we would recommend Cronins and Murphy's for cheaper meals and big portions and Treyvauds for a special night out. Treyvauds offers a more varied menu with French flair making the most of good local produce and a great wine list. We tried to eat at the Lake Hotel and were disappointed to be told that they were keeping bar tables free in case their own hotel guests wanted to eat there when there were quite clearly a lot of empty tables.

A lovely 3 days in a lovely part of Ireland. Hard not to fall in love with Killarney when exploring it from a base like Friar's Glen.

A Place of Style and Grace

by TripAdvisor Member DreamAboutEurope

This was the first time I went to Ireland. I enjoyed every bit of it because it was a beautiful country, and people were all friendly and helpful. However, I'll always have a special place in my heart for Friars Glen. There, I found peaceful rest in my busy journey and got to know the best of the Irish people.

Friars Glen is situated inside Killarney National Park, which is home to Muckross House, Muckross Abbey, Torc Waterfall, and a few soothing lakes. The lobby and sitting room were cozy and stylish. Each guest room has a special name. Mine was "Oak". My room was immaculate and spacious, with views of the garden and a remote mountain with a rich history.

The owners of the B & B, Mary and John Fuller, are elegant people (especially Mary). They took care of my every single need, including drying my clothes, making phone calls on my behalf, and giving me a ride to Muckross House and to the bus station on the day of my departure.

Mary and John had two female dogs. After Mary introduced me to them, one welcomed me at the far entrance when I got back in the evening. I'm attaching a photo to show my new friend who wanted to keep me company.

I started everyday with a nice Irish breakfast, including fresh fruits, yogart, cereal, and oatmeal. Then Bridget, Mary's assistant, would take my order for the *real* meal. I'm attaching a photo of my meal for your entertainment - smoked salmon, eggs on toast, tomato, and mushrooms. I'm also attaching some photos of the dining room with a view of the mountain. While I was having my breakfast, other guests would engage me in friendly conversation. I could also hear Mary and Bridget talking in the kitchen, which sounded like "angel talk", because it was all about how they could serve my needs so that I could have a successful day.

On the wall of the dining room, a previous guest drew a cross with a "Saint Mary" label. It was an excellent summary. Mary IS a saint, who has wisdom and puts other people before herself. Thanks to mu gracious hosts, my experience is one that will be cherished.

Really impressive

by TripAdvisor Member hea27

Rate: 50EUR p/p/night B&B
Location: lovely country feel, less than 10 minutes drive from Killarney, near the National Park. Next door to a Garden Centre.
Rooms: very spacious, new, spotlessly clean, bath, large comfy bed.
Breakfast: delicious home cooked meal from the menu, best muesli in town, fresh fruit etc. Very filling!
Reception: very helpful friendly and professional

Marvelous

by TripAdvisor Member chas58

Friar's Glen was absolutely the best B&B we stayed at in Ireland. (We liked all the others too) The setting and the building are beautiful and the rooms are elegant and comfortable. Everything is perfectly maintained and spotless. Breakfast was abundant and delicious, served (by the delightful Bridget) in an airy, glassed-in room overlooking the garden and the hills beyond.

The location near Muckross House and the Killarney National Park, and just a short drive to town is ideal. Mary is a gracious, warm hostess. She served tea and biscuits after we arrived and sat with us in front of the peat fire to chat and offer suggestions about restaurants and activities. We immediately felt welcomed and "at home". It was as if we were talking with an old friend. If you plan to be in Killarney you MUST try to stay here. When we plan our next trip this will be the first reservation we make.

Gold Standard in Irish B&B's

by TripAdvisor Member LadyRev

We intended to spend a couple of nights in Killarney but this B&B changed our minds and we stayed almost a week. The house is beautifully appointed and our room overlooked the lovely mountains of Kerry. Situated within the national park, it offered unrivaled scenery and tranquility yet is only minutes from the center of Killarney Town. Our host was not only hospitable but anticipated our needs. The breakfast menu offers the full Irish breakfast (delicious!) as well as a number of other sumptuous and beautifully presented options. If you want a welcoming home away from home, check out Friars Glen. We can't say enough about the attention to detail and luxury of this 4 star B&B. This place will be our home base whenever we return to Kerry. It was truly one of the highlights of our trip to Ireland.

Loved it

by TripAdvisor Member seasoned_traveller01

Although we had been to Kerry several times before we had never spent much time in Killarney. We chose Friar's Glen based upon tripadvisor's reviews. We were not disappointed. We were greeted by Mary herself and over a cup of tea and biscuits she discussed with us what was available locally. Although there were many things going on, you always felt that Mary was giving you her undivided attention.

Previous reviews have given the details on Friar's Glen. Having stayed in B& B's and hotels all over the world we felt that there really was not anything that was missing. Because we were travelling with my elderly mother on this visit we had rooms on the ground floor but they were very quiet and everyone enjoyed a good night's sleep. Next time we go we are hoping to try one of the upper rooms that overlook the park - being able to look out of your window and see the park would be icing on the cake.

Being in the park was an added benefit. My mother saw several deer and we sat out with coffee after breakfast and enjoyed watching the birds. We also had a visit from Holly, one of the resident dogs. What a character.

The guest lounge had a wonderful peat fire and a good selection of magazines and books to read. There are glasses available if you want to BYOB.

We had been debating whether or not to go to Muckcross House and gardens but based on Mary's recommendation we did visit the next day. It really is worth a visit. The house is interesting and the views in the gardens are spectacular. We were very fortunate in that when we were there (end of May) the rhododendrons were in bloom in the gardens and they were magificent. Muckcross House is in the Killarney National Park and so the park and the gardens are free. There is a small charge for entry into the house. We also took an evening stroll around Muckcross Abbey. The abbey itself is in ruins but the surrounding park is worth seeing. Interestingly the wild rhododendrons in the park are considered a pest as they choke out other plants. I can only say that we really enjoyed seeing the profusion of mauve blossoms.

Our only regret is that we only spent one night in Killarney and at Friars Glen. We would definitely like to stay longer next time that we are in Kerry.

Wouldn't know, Wont reply

by TripAdvisor Member Canadian11

I read the reviews and went to the website, the place seems lovely. I'm not sure if anyone has had this issue but I can't seem to get anyone to contact me. I've sent emails about reservations, but no replys. This is the first B&B that didn't written back within 24 hours. Even the B&B's that didn't have room were polite enough to answer.

Worthy of it's #1 position

by TripAdvisor Member BPJBiggleswade

Simply the best place we've ever stayed at. We stayed a couple of nights & wished it had been longer. We can't fault the place or the people. The room was perfect as was the lounge & dining room. Breakfast was a treat - so much choice. We were expecting a high standard after reading other reviews & weren't disappointed. The only downside was that we didn't get to meet the dogs. We would highly recommend Friar's Glen. B&M.

Comments