Muckross Road, Killarney, County Kerry, na, Ireland

Satisfaction Average

Rated 16% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

Great place to stay and dance in Killarney Ireland

We have travelled from Australia five times in the last 7 years(2011) to the Ballroom dancing week which is held twice a year at the Gleneagle. We only found out about it from a friend who is Irish and has been many times. Most of the folk who attend are Irish so you get to meet the "locals",who I might add are delighted to welcome us.

The price for the week is a really good deal which includes meals,accommodation,dancing lessons, a gala night, and music in the evenings with a real band. The music makes you want to dance.

There are other types of dancing breaks as well which you will find on their website.

The rooms are very comfortable and spacious. If you arrive by train there is a bus to meet you at the station. There are ample car parks. There is also a bus shuttle into town ...if you are fit town is within walking distance. And of course Shannon airport is not far away as well as hire cars and taxis.

Yes I would recommend this hotel to a friend.

Unique Quality: You will find most of what you want at the hotel: pleasant surrounds , coffee shop (makes great Irish coffee).dining rooms, a gift shop, a beauty parlour, dance areas,and regular entertainment in the evenings. Often you see the jaunting cars go by on their way home... you can hear the clip clop of the horses feet ..their drivers tired after a busy day .

There is a venue in the hotel where international artists such as Daniel O'Donnell appear regularly.
    Trips to the Lakes, Ring of Kerry , and other attractions can be arranged at the Hotel as well.

Nearby is the sister hotel The Brehon which I was told is very nice, built recently , and probably a bit more upmarket . We are very happy with the Glen Eagle.

This is 2011 and the economic downturn is starting to bite. The Glen Eagle seems to be coping but I see signs of some cutbacks...esp in the dining room. Meals are cheaper and not as classy as in the past

Directions: Arrive by train and you will be met by the glen eagle bus.
    Drive along Muckross Road (out of town) and the hotel is on the left

More about Gleneagle Hotel

would recommend it to everyone

i have to say that the glen is great, like i`ve stayed their a couple of times well maybe more but just recently i had a conference that was being held there and i have to say top mark all around food was `out of this world` compliments to all their chefs,but also the kind, friendly faces of the staff that greeted us. Top marks again all around, i would definitely go back there again and would recommend all my friens to stay there as i know that they would be treated like `king and queens`, they really make you feel at home!! loved the experience!!

Hotel Yuck

Stayed at this Hotel for 1 night. Have also stayed here previously but won't stay here again due to the steady decline in the hotels standards. When we initially arrived we were given a double room. On arriving at our room we found a 1 page notification saying that the some of the people staying in the hotel had experienced a 'winter vomiting bug' and we should notify the hotel management if we experienced any symptoms of illness. There was a smell of vomit mixed with cleaning agent in the room. There was a lot of noise coming from some kind of girl party in the room next door(5.30 PM). We asked to be moved and were given another room after having to hassle the reception. The staff weren't interested in investigating the disturbance and gave no apologies but just tutted at my wife on the phone and asked us to come to the reception for the key. The second room had a nice view with a cigarette strewn balcony which we were able to see once we opened the filthy glass doors. This room had no warning for the winter vomiting bug. We later found out through other alarmed guests that they had no notifications in their rooms and had not been notified at the desk prior to booking into their rooms.

Our room was on the third floor with car park outside, the room was quite large but very dated and tired with peeling stained furniture, burned from cigarette ends. The toilet bowl was dirty.
The room was extremely hot all day and all night and the huge radiator was non adjustable. All the rooms had this problem as it was visible from the main road that all the balcony doors were open to cool the rooms.

Staff refused to bring sandwiches to our bar table and told us that we had to come back for them 'in about five or ten minutes'. When I went back for them three staff were huddled together making small talk and obviously not busy.

Leisure center grubby and also there was a 14 year old male with his mother in the ladies non-cubicled ladies changing rooms. Staff say this is allowed up to the age of 14.

No apparent policy regarding children in the public bar at night. Signs are visible but not enforced.

Breakfast was included in the room rate but there was a 15 minute wait the next morning before we were assigned a table and then we waited another 15 minutes before finally asking a waitress could she take our order. She said she couldn't and said she would send someone up to us. No-one arrived. the same woman re-appeared 10 minutes later with a pot of tea saying it wasn't really her job but she 'could see we were waiting a long time'. She also brought out a breakfast to us eventually.(Thank you).

The manager later denied that only the affected rooms had 'winter vomiting bug' warnings and put it down to the house cleaner not following instructions to place the note in all rooms. He said that they didn't notify people prior to booking into their room as the hotel didn't want to cause alarm to the public. He said the windows were dirty from the road and the rooms were redecorated every five years. He declined to view the room with us.

You have been warned!!!

quite possibly the worst hotel in Killarney

We have just arrived back from a wonderful weekend in Killarney which is possibly the most relaxing place in Ireland, time just seems to standstill! You can imagine my disappointment on arriving at the Gleneagle, my first impression was okay well its a bit dingy but I will reserve judgement until I actually see the facilities! The reception staff were pleasant enough, didn’t wish us a pleasant stay but that didnt bother me too much! The complete Hotel is in need of a very serious overhaul! Firstly we couldn’t find the lift, which would take us to our 3rd floor room, we were directed down to which I thought was the cellar, old old dirty corridors! Got to the lift to discover we still had to drag our bags back along a very long and extremely hot, stuffy and smelly corridor.

The room was atrocious with a strange smell in the dilapidated bathroom, the room is in desperate need of co-ordination, the windows are dirty, the hot water was absolutely scalding and the radiators wouldn’t adjust at all! The heat in the room was insufferable. The entire room just disappointed us. We were very eager to get out and about.

The hotel in general reeks of damp on the ground floor and is not so subtly masked by a very cheap air freshener making the foyer awful to relax in. The front foyer (the original foyer with the cars) reeks of cat urine and is unbearable to walk through. The chestnut bar also smells. The ballroom is pleasant enough but again outdated and cold. The leisure centre is grotty and could do with a thorough clean. The windows throughout the common areas are dirty.

On checkout the receptionist answered the phone in the middle of settling my bill, handed me my receipt and didn’t say thank you or have a nice day or even a hope to see you again!

On the upside the breakfast room is brighter, airier and fresher than the rest of the hotel, the food is very very average with the usual dirty teapots (you just cant beat a shiny teapot) and the staff seem to be a little friendlier.

We saw a show in the INEC, which was fantastic, but again the surroundings not too great. The function room was cold and seats uncomfortable. The toilets in the INEC didn’t have lights!!!! They had a candle in each stall, which I found absolutely ridiculous; I couldn’t even see the toilet let alone trust to use it.

I would recommend you look elsewhere, there is so much better out there. It seems the Gleneagle are interested in as many guest as possible with little effort.

Wonderful, efficient staff

Have just returned from a seminar which was held in the Gleneagles, Killarney and my abiding thought about the hotel is simply how wonderful the staff are. Nothing was a problem, and they went about their duties in the most helpful and courteous fashion.

The rooms themselves were what you'd expect in a three star hotel. Clean, but pretty basic. Was a little disappointed there were no tea making facilities in the room - although the obligatory cuppa could be ordered to the room 24 hours a day, which was some consolation for the caffeine impaired.

The function on Saturday night - at which 1,000 people sat down to dinner - was served with expediency, and with a smile. Again a credit to the staff, who gave silver-service. The bar staff were also working well into the early hours, without complaint.

I had a great weekend in the Gleneagles, and look forward to returning to the same seminar, in the same venue next year.

Good stuff!!

by TripAdvisor Member ballierbabe

I stayed in the Gleneagle pervious to my recent visit; the overall product was good however at 11am in the morning the accommodation staff tried to come into the room while we were in bed! I bit annoying as there was an obvious lack of interest of checking their online system to see if we were still in the room and also with that the check out time wasn’t until 12 noon! I am not going to give a bad rating, as it is a good hotel just lacking in minor areas. On arrival to the hotel I was left waiting while the reception staff had a conversation without acknowledging me at all. I was a little annoyed over this as the reception is the first point of contact with clients and it is imperative to create a good first impression.

This Hotel would suit families, as there are many things to do in the Hotel. The hotel is clean and the porters are efficient!

Over all it is very good! Would recommend it to a friend.

Fight Nite

by TripAdvisor Member Indeed

We only stayed here for 1 night as we were attending a concert, never again, very busy, lunch in bar, dirty tables, waiters over-run, children running around, checked in, room unmade, bathroom filthy, we stayed towards the back of the hotel, new wing? dead flies on window sill, requested new room, 1 hour delay, requested more pillows, had to go back to reception an hour later to request again, went to concert an hour later and pillows on floor in front of door on return.

Went to bar and my partner was accosted by a hen's party, drunken women running around with devil capes, falling over tables and chairs, security in presence but unwilling to take charge. Complained to reception but ignored!

Leisure centre was mostly closed, main pool open, cold & dirty.

Disaster!

by TripAdvisor Member A7

I have just returned from a three night stay in this Hotel and have no intentions to ever return. I travelled with a group of seven people and there was no sign of any sort of help with luggage on arrival for the less mobile members of the group.
We paid up front, but this did not stop the receptionist causing a scene this morning as she insisted we still owed a balance of over €200. This wasnt the first attempt to be overcharged; our first night in the restaurant, a waiter claimed we had "forgotten" to pay for one meal, even though he had just handed us back our change and a receipt for seven meals!
The rooms were just awful, so old and dull with pictures hanging off walls, in each of the three rooms we had. Doors, windows and walls are paper thin so disco music could be heard until at least four in the morning, and im not showing my age here - im only 23! Doors are so bad, all conversations held in the corridor could be heard.
As with other reviews, we also had a fifteen minute wait to be seated for breakfast and then a further wait until your order was taken. The €5 charge still stands too for breakfast in bed.
The highlight of the weekend was returning to my room to find the accomodation staff in the room with a bottle of cleaning detergent in one hand and the tv remote in the other enjoying some programme and did not seem one bit alarmed by our return and continued watching it!!!! Classic!!

Like lipstick on a pig

by TripAdvisor Member GoodTravelers

Gleneagle looks OK if you squint your eyes and don't examine the details too clearly. But the sad truth is that this is a rinky dink establishment that is trying to masquerade as a posh hotel charging luxury prices. Like putting lipstick on pig. Worse, the price charged was way out of line considering the dismal lack of amenities.

First, the good stuff: the location is very convenient, and the views are beautiful. It was generally clean and tidy and the staff people were all very friendly and professional.

Now, the rest of the story:
1) the entrance lobby smelled moldy and damp, as if the carpet hadn't dried properly after a flood. yuck.

2) It was a long, epic trek to the proper elevator for our room/floor. There are several sections of the building, and you must take a specific elevator to get to your room. Ours was waaaaay at the far end of the building, through several hallways with heavy doors in between them. Not too convenient when dragging luggage.

3) Parking was very tight; when we returned after dinner the only parking available was at the rear of the building on an unpaved gravel lot. It was totally deserted, and the only access to the inside was through the front door, so we had to walk through the dusty lot and all the way around the building.

4) The room was sparse and shabby, especially when considering the room cost 150 euros a night (about $193). There was no CLOCK in the room! There was no TOILET PAPER DISPENSER -- just one partial roll of T.P. sitting on the toilet tank. (and that was the only T.P in the room) No facial tissues anywhere in the room. The "bath mat" was made of paper -- yes, PAPER -- and was smaller than 18" square.

5) The paper thin walls allowed us to hear other guests' voices, plumbing sounds, and doors slamming all night long.

6) Breakfast is served only from 8-10am. When we arrived at 9:30, the lobby was overflowing with people waiting to get into the dining room. We waited nearly 20 minutes for a table. Breakfast itself was acceptable -- standard full Irish breakfast. They should reconsider having only a two--hour window to serve people in so many rooms!

I gave Gleneagle a "2" (rather than a "1") with one big qualification: Understand that the amenities are more "budget motel" than pricey hotel. So, if you can get the room for a great price, and don't mind a motel environment, go for it.

Don't waste your money and your holiday!

by TripAdvisor Member Nikki1234

We statyed in this hotel in July 2006. It was the second week of our holiday, our first having been in a lovely hotel in Portugal. We decided to go to Kerry to see some of the sights Ireland had to offer. We booked our 3 night stay the day before and headed off expecting some relaxation and wonderful views. We got one out of two. Spectacular part of the country, shame about the choice of hotel. I knew from the minute we arrived, something was up. Im not a snob but when you book a hotel and the website gives you some false hopes, then you are bound to be disappointed. The whole way down the road were rows and rows of fabulous looking hotels ( including a gorgeous new hotel right beside the gleneagle called the brehon) and could have only wished we booked one of them. Unfortunately my other half is a little more forgiving and we stayed for the 3 nights, as we had already paid for them. ( I would have paid any money to change hotels!) The reception and lobby were old and tatty, leading up to the room ( which was on the 4th floor) was no better with peeling walls in the corridors. I wasnt expecting much from the room, lucky that as it was mismatched and grubby. I didnt want to walk on the carpet in my bare feet and certainly didnt want to sleep with those blankets on me. Luckily it was summer and it was hot! The balcony was like a prison with bars surrounding both sides, the bathroom was old and not what you expect from a hotel these days. We were woken at 5am on our final morning with screaming from outside ( a group of people from the nightclub hanging around). Bearing in mind that I am only 25, i like to enjoy myself also but just found this the last straw in a very disappointing hotel! On a slightly brighter note, the breakfast was fine, more than i expected anyway. Also found the leisure facilities disappointing and a bit grubby also. I will stay anywhere once its clean but needed some coaxing to stay here and wouldnt advise anyone to book a break away here because its not relaxing, not clean and not nice !

GLENEAGLE HOTEL - INEC - VENUE INFORMATION - URGENT!!!

by Suzanne_M

Hello my dear VT friend,
HELP!!!
I recently posted something about THE GIPSY KINGS performing at the GLENEAGLE HOTEL on August 14, 2004. They will be performing in their auditorium, INEC. There is a map on the Ticketmaster Ireland website but it is difficult for me to evaluate if this is a big amphitheatre or not.
SO, it is BIG or SMALL? Because if it is big, then I will purchase the best ticket I can afford. If it is not that big, like the Opera House in Belfast, then I can get away with buying a mid-priced ticket.
Thank you in advance for you help in that matter.
zuzu

Re: GLENEAGLE HOTEL - INEC - VENUE INFORMATION - URGENT!!!

by orlikins

They have the sizes and dimensions of their ballroom and other large convention rooms posted up on http://www.inec.ie - have you checked that site yet?

O.