Killarney Plaza Hotel And Spa

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Stylish City centre Hotel

I was more than pleasantly surprised by the high standards that prevail in this lovely hotel, which is right in the middle of what must be the most famous of all Irish towns.

I pulled up outside the pretty white painted building and a helpful and friendly bellboy immediately appeared to take in my luggage. Carparking was below the building and there were ample spaces available.

I crossed the gleaming marble lobby and at the stylish checkin desk they were expecting me and had my room key ready.

The room was on the fourth floor, which is the top floor, and the ceiling was quaintly hipped into the roof. There was a Queen sized bed plus a single and plenty of both workspace and storage space. The room was attractively decorated in warm reds and golds.

Little has been spared in the decor of this hotel. Green marble abounds in both counter tops and walls. Gleaming brass gilds stair banisters. A huge stained glass window graces the upper lobby. The whole feel is one of spacious elegance.

It's very popular with American tourists - but then, so is all of Killarney!!

Unique Quality: There's a gorgeous Molton Brown spa on the lower ground floor with a very extensive spa menu. The spa also stocks Molton Brown products for sale to the general public.

The swimming pool is adequate though the water is shallow at 3ft. That saying, it makes it ideal for families.

There's a piano bar with live music every night, and it stays open until 3am. In addition to this there's a huge bar on five different levels called Cafe du Parc. That deserves a tip all of its own.

Breakfast was yummy and served in a beautiful dining room. I had a window side table and could look out at the jaunting cars clip clop by.

Directions: Right in the town centre, opposite the Cathedral.

• Killarney Plaza Hotel

I stayed at this hotel this Novemeber and it was an excellent value. Comfortable rooms, nice marble bath, outstanding pool/sauna/steam/exercise facilities. I got a masage at their Molton Brown spa on my last day and it was fantastic. This is a solid place to stay with your lady.

Unique Quality: Awsome underground pool/sauna/steam facilities. Great Molton Brown Spa. Nice all marble bathrooms with excellent Molton Brown products.

More about Killarney Plaza Hotel And Spa

Five Levels of Fun

by SabrinaSummerville about Cafe du Parc

As a resident in the very elegant Killarney Plaza Hotel, I really wasn't expecting cafe du Parc, tucked away as it is in the basement of this gracious establishment.

Cafe du Parc is a pub and nightclub on five different levels, though each and every room has a theme that is hip and happening.

Chairs are upholstered in cowhide and are soft and welcoming. You'd almost sleep there if you weren't intrinsically drawn to the loud music that throbs from the speakers. There's a live DJ every night and the place is usually crowded.

On the night I was there it was surprisingly quiet. One of the bouncers explained that the crowd had been temporarily drawn to a new club that had recently opened, but that in general they have to turn away the masses that queue at the door to get in!!! Smart casual!

Molton Brown Spa

by SabrinaSummerville

As Killarney is the tourist capital of Southern ireland, it has many excellent hotels and most of them have equally excellent spas.

The one that I visited recently was the Molton brown spa at the Killarney Plaza hotel. It's situated at the lower level of the hotel and is a haven of peace and quiet. Treatment rooms are in little spacious capsules of delicate scent and they are so exclusive that you're not even allowed have a look unless you're having a treatment.

The treatment menu is divided into the four seasons, with therapies complimentary to each season.

There's also an extensive stock of Molton Brown products which are for sale to both spa users and members of the public.

Molton Brown doesn't come cheap, but you get what you pay for!!! I have to recommend the Heavenly Tigerlily body shimmer perfume and oil range!! It does what it says on the tin, and leaves you feeling scented and shimmery.

Very disappointed

I decided to book into the Killarney Plaza this Easter because I had previously visted the Hotel and had been extremely impressed by its decor etc and I had also read some rave reviews on Trip Advisor. I was however extremely disappointed with the standard of service. The Spa was fabulous. I couldn't fault it and I would highly recommend it.The problems however began with room service. It was simply terrible. Our first order took over an hour to arrive and had to be sent back twice because the order was completely wrong. Breakfast in bed did not fare much better. My family our vegetarians and despite ordering no meat we were faced with bacon, sausage and black and white pudding on no less than three occasions!!! In the end we simply gave up trying to get our correct order. When I ventured to the restaurant for breakfast i did not fare much better. I had to queue for over an hour on Easter Sunday Morning. Dinner that evening was no better. We had been told that the only table available was at nine. Having three small children, I was anxious that we should be served as quicly as possible, but again after awaiting over an hour for our starter, we asked to speak to the manager who thought we were awaiting our main courses. The appeared to be no accountability. No one really in charge. No one was really bothered. When I asked for the bill on the fourth morning it was incorrect. we had been overcharged by fifty eight Euro. More upsettingly we had been charged for wine that we hadn't even ordered. My husband is tee-total. When I spoke with reception about the problems with room service they were not unduly concerned. At the same time a gentleman was asking why he had paid for an executive room and been placed above the bar. He had apparantly been unable to sleep. Again the staff were not particularly bothered. I had really been looking forward to my stay at this hotel, but I really would not be able to recommend It. I would however thoroughly recommend the Spa.

A breath of fresh air

I spent two nights at this hotel as a part of a Brendan Tour. It was by far the best hotel we stayed in the entire week. The lobby was beatiful, the rooms were well appointed, very clean, and a good size for two people, the restaurant served quality food and didn't flinch when we asked for separate bar checks for the 10 people at the table. I did not use the spa but the brochure made it look wonderful. I was tempted to skip the rest of the trip and just relax at the hotel.

A relaxing haven

We stayed here unexpectedly as the hotel we normally stay at was closed for the winter season. We chose the hotel mainly for its location but were pleasantly surprised by our choice. The staff are extremely friendly from the moment you arrive, and are particularly professional in everything they do. We ate in the restaurant twice and thought it excellent, again with great staff on hand at all times. There is a choice of bars and the piano bar was a lovely quiet haven, with a piano player one night giving the place a great atmosphere. The pool was lovely, and the spa is a must, for any visitor. All in all we loved our stay and can't wait to go back sometime soon, as it is an ideal escape.

A Great Valentine Break

by TripAdvisor Member Charlie_Boswell

My Wife and I stayed here for Valentines Night and for a last minute booking we were delighted with the quality of the accomodation. We really could not fault the Hotel, Staff or leisure centre.

The Swimming pool was dimly lit which gave it a very romantic feel. The Hotel is superbly located in the centre of the town with some fantasic scenery only a stones throw from the front door.

If I could fault it on anything the food in the restaurant was not up to the same high standard that the rest of the hotel sets, But all in all a great place to stay.

An oasis in Killarney-- we hated to leave

by TripAdvisor Member whitraew

Although the Plaza isn't the cheapest hotel in Killarney, it has huge benefits. The rooms are large, clean, and stylishly decorated. The views to the park and mountains are wonderful. The service is professional. The location is lovely for walking and shopping in town.

The Plaza was our favorite hotel of our trop. Upgrade to an executive room for a wonderful treat. We'd love to go back some day.

Comments