Lake Shore, Muckross Road, Killarney, County Kerry, Ireland

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• WBeall's Profile Photo

Very Historic!

The Lake hotel is a very nice and historic hotel. The floors make very loud noises when you walk (ANYWHERE) and there are a lot of gaps in the windows and under the door so it gets very chilly at night and the elevator was broken so we had to carry all 4 of our HUGE bags up the stairs with no help. Besides those VERY small complaints, I would have to say we really enjoyed our stay at The Lake hotel. When we arrived, we were greeted with a beautiful blonde lady working the front desk. She was extremely nice and helpful, she did apologize for the elevator not working several times. Since it was our honeymoon, they had rose petals, fruit and chocolate set up in our room, it was a really big room and bathroom. The bathroom had a large window in it that was foggy so people can’t see in but I was still skeptical. We then went into the bar/restaurant area to have something to eat and were welcomed by a super nice bartender. He actually set us up with something to do the next day and told us all about Killarney and where we should and should not visit. We were actually a little lost with what to do so this was a lot of help. When we were done eating and drinking (of course) we walked outsite and was greeted but a VERY large deer. He was making a lot of noises and was actually really pretty. The view at this hotel is breathtaking, when we woke up in the morning I just could not believe there were view that gorgeous. They do have WI-FI but the router is in the main lobby and that was about the only place you could get good reception. They do NOT have WI-FI in the rooms. There is also a office area with computers you can use. The breakfast was 12 Euros and consisted of a Hot and Cold breakfast bar. This hotel was a great place to stay on your honeymoon because it was very romantic. There were several families from around the surround areas that come and stay at this hotel once a year.

Unique Quality: Large rooms,
    Large bathrooms with up to date amenities,
    Small TV with very few channels,
    Free Wi-fi in Public areas only,
    BEAUTIFUL views,
    Good but pricey breakfast,
    Wonderful staff,
    bar (with music on the weekends)
    restaurant,
    Several lounging areas,
    Castle ruins on property,
    Killarney natl Park is walking distance.
    I am sure I am missing stuff but this was a great hotel just old.

Directions: Next to the entrance of Killarney National Park,
    Short drive into the central Killarney

• MikeStarr5's Profile Photo

A Perfect Setting for a Lovely Hotel

The Lake Hotel is absolutely charming and you could not wish for a better setting as it nestles on the shores of the world famous Lakes of Killarney.

It is a 4 star hotel which apparently was built way back in 1820 but in spite of its great age, the Killarney Lake Hotel has all the standard modern day facilities and it is only about a mile or so from Killarney town center.

We only stayed a few nights but there is plenty to do locally if you are staying longer, for example the Killarney National Park, Golf Courses and of course the ubiquitous cycle and walking paths.

If you are feeling even more energetic you can also try horseriding, climbing, fishing and many other outdoor pursuits right on the doorstep.

Not having much time, we simply used the hotel is our base for from which to explore the beautiful Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Peninsula and of course Kerry's many other fine attractions.

Unique Quality: I thought the bedrooms were outstanding. They were HUGE and particularly liked having a hot tub in the bedroom itself. Very sexy !

Directions: About 2 miles out of town - Don't know the area too well, so contact the hotel for directions.

• Kimber_jewel's Profile Photo

Great weekend at the Lake Hotel

My husband and I stayed at the Lake Hotel for one Saturday night. We paid €200 for the room booking directly through the hotel. We stayed in a lake view deluxe room in the new part of the hotel and enjoyed every minute of it. The staff was very helpful at check in and when we arrived to our room there was a bottle of champagne and box of chocolates waiting for us.
    The room was one of the largest hotels rooms I have ever stayed in. The décor was a little much but the ammonites were great. Large bathroom with Jacuzzi bath, separate sitting area, and a nice balcony with patio table and two chairs were some of the features we found to be outstanding for a 3 star hotel.

Unique Quality: Very large rooms
    Really good views
    Helpful and Friendly staff
    Jacuzzi tubs in room
    Out door hot tub
    Free buffet breakfast
    Large balcony

More about Lake Hotel

We loved our honeymoon in the Lake Hotel!!

We spent 5 nights in the Lake Hotel during the 1st part of our honeymoon in Ireland. As we arrived, we were pleased to see the hotel was set away from the road, and the view of the lakes as we came up the drive was stunning!
The staff were efficient, maybe a little impersonal, but not unfriendly.
The room was great, we had a lake view and a four poster bed, and the jacuzzi bath was excellent! The breakfasts were always fresh and hot, with lots of choice and even when the room was busy we always had quick service with toast and tea.
The location was great, and we had a car so getting in and out of Killarney was easy, we did walk it one day, it took about 25 mins.
We would definately go back for a long weekend.

Simply the Best - better than all the rest!!

Whilst in Killarney in the summer, my husband and I paid a visit to the Lake Hotel and were so impressed by the stunning location and ambience of the hotel and staff, we returned for a three night stay in October to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We occupied a superior room overlooking the lake and gardens and 12th century castle ruins and without doubt it is one of the most beautiful views you could wish for, made more special with the deer freely roaming about. The hotel lounges were well maintained with comfortable furniture and decoration with the log and gas fires making it feel very welcoming and cosy. The hotel staff were very efficient and friendly from reception, bar staff, dining room staff and chambermaids, with nothing being too much trouble for them. The food was excellent and very well presented with plenty of choice, both at dinner and breakfast.

We enjoyed our stay so much that we hope to return as often as we can.

In the 8 times we have visited Killarney the Lake Hotel is definitely the BEST HOTEL we have stayed in.

Loved The Lake Hotel! Highly Recommended...

Beautiful older well-maintained hotel right on the lake with gardens and its own castle. It is next to the National Park which was gorgeous with autumn foliage and it has miles of walking paths. The hotel has a lovely atmosphere and an excellent staff whom I found to be exceptionally helpful and accomodating. My room was one of the "superior" ones and it was very clean with a four poster bed, jacuzzi tub, a balcony overlooking the lake, and there was fruit, chocolate and bottled water awaiting me when I arrived. In general, I am very particular about hotels and I felt comfortable and very much at home here. The library has free wireless internet (note that this was the only hotel I stayed at in Ireland that had wireless capability) and a computer you can use if you didn't bring yours along. The breakfast buffet is rather extensive and the service was excellent. If you get to breakfast around 8-8:30am you can see the deer outside of the window. There were several of them out there the first morning I was there, including two baby deer that were sooooo cute! The hotel's pub was pretty happening on Thursday night with live Irish traditional music and a nice crowd which made for a fun evening. Another nice thing about this hotel is that it's in Killarney but it's not right in town and it's nice and quiet by the lake at night (no noise at 2am from the pubs). I met Niall, one of the owners (I believe the hotel is family owned and run), on my way out to go horseback riding the first morning, and he was kind and helpful and provided a wealth of information about the local area including the Ring of Kerry, the horseback riding, the castles, the beaches, etc. I'll definitely be back next year, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this hotel again - in fact I might stay for a week or two in 2006. It was a wonderful experience being there for the short time I stayed this year. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are traveling to Killarney or around the Ring of Kerry.

Unfriendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member ASWilliams

The staff at the Lake Hotel were terrible. We booked our vacation through a travel agent who gave us pre-paid vouchers for select hotels. We were told we would have to pay a 3 euro supplement per person to stay at this hotel. No problem, right? WRONG! When we got there, we were told that because it was a bank holiday weekend (this was Friday night and the holiday was on Monday the 31st), and since all of the other hotels in Killarney were booked, we would have to pay 65 euros instead. When I talked to my travel agent when we got home, we were told that the hotel liked to do this to travelers who didn't know any better. Their contract stated that no matter the holiday or day of the week, the supplement was supposed to be 3 euro per person. Needless to say, we had to stay that night there because all of the other hotels were booked, but we definately weren't happy about having to pay a higher supplement. It's funny though, the next two nights we stayed at the Killarney Great Southern (mind you, it's still the holiday weekend) and we only had to pay the 3 euro supplement and not some outlandish amount!

As far as the hotel is concerned, it's nice enough, but once you have a bad taste in your mouth about it, the niceties just aren't enough.....

Lake Hotel - amazing!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Ellcork

I was nervous having booked this hotel for a small break and having read some of the unfavourable reviews. I needn't have worried! I feel it is one of the best gems this country has to offer. The view, the olde world feel of the hotel and the excellent staff meant that we were able to leave the worries of the world behind.
We would have paid double the price for the view over the lakes at breakfast. Very highly recommended!

Very relaxing!!

Went to the Lake Hotel in Aug 2004 on a last minute whim!! We were very impressed with the location of the hotel, it is very peaceful and the calling of the birds as they fly over the lake is very relaxing!! The grounds of the hotel are simply gorgeous, the outdoor hot tub was an added bonus but unfortunately the weather is a bit hit and miss!! Ah well, sure we were going to get wet anyway so what harm would a bit of rain do us in the hot tub! Expect to see a few bemused smiles if you use it in anything less than 20 degree sunshine!

We stayed in a superior room and while it was very comfortable and had a fabulous jacuzzi in the bathroom, was quite small and maybe the decor could do with a bit of modernisation. The restaurant has a very fine prospect over the lake and castle and you might just be lucky enough to see the deer grazing on the lawn. While we were there, it was rutting season and the stags were putting up quite a performance roaring all over the place...Pop Idol they are not!!

The food in the restaurant was lovely and breakfast was good. The bar was very comfortable and bar staff friendly. There is a lovely pleasant area outside to take your drinks or smoke if you wish.

The hotel has lots of wee nooks and crannies to sit in private and it has a homely feel to it.

There were only two things which let the hotel down, one minor and the other something which spoilt the break for us. The hotel could definately do with a serious facelift outside, it doesnt give such a good impression when you first see it in the midst of such glorious surroundings. The second problem was probably an isolated incident but nevertheless was annoying to us.

When we booked our break by phone we were quoted a price for 3 nights B&B and one evening meal in a superior room. We did not unfortunately insist on a letter of confirmation as we were travelling within days of our booking and would not have received the letter. When it came to paying our bill, the account had mysteriously risen by almost €70. Usually I don't question bills as my mental arithmetic is not to be trusted but as it turned out we had been quoted the wrong rate. We had no proof of the original quote and had to pay up.

To be fair to the management, we got a phone call to apologise for the inconvenience and vouchers to cover the difference in the rates quoted which they did not have to do. Unfortunately we did not get the opportunity to use them and they have now expired!!

Overall The Lake hotel is a lovely relaxing hotel in the nicest surroundings---lakes and mountains with lots to do on its doorstep.

Charming and Elegant

by TripAdvisor Member Mahdoumi

We had a balcony room overlooking the lake and the castle ruins with the mountains as a backdrop. The room and furnishings were quite old but we certainly didn't get the impression that anything was worn. All was clean and in good condition.

The bathroom was a pleasant surprise since I was expecting to be disappointed by it. Whirlpool tub and extraordinary shower. Very nice amenities and an electric kettle (not in the bathroom, obviously) with a sampling selection of teas and coffees. Lovely to sip while sitting on the balcony on a misty morning.

You cannot put a price on this view, and other than a group of cackling golden agers on girls' weekend in the hot tub for about half an hour, the property was serene and inspiring.

I LOVED the sign outlining a policy that prohibits children in the dining room and pub after 7pm. LOVED it! MORE hotels should make this their policy. We enjoyed our wonderful dinner in peace. Good wine selection, too. Our waiter, and I truly wish I could remember that young Indian man's name, was very friendly and personable, something shockingly rare we discovered as we toured the country. His recommendations for our order were spot on, including his excellent tip on wine. I will dig out the journal and find his name in order to compliment him to management.

Breakfast was outstanding. Plenty to choose from on the buffet as well as hot selections from the menu. I can't even make a recommendation as it was all good.

We loved walking around the hotel and enjoyed sitting in the library in the evening after supper and after the nicest Irish coffees we had in the whole of Ireland.

If the idea is to promote relaxation, Lake Hotel has more than met this goal. Let them continue to keep the loud young families away, and they will continue to have a restful and elegant Irish garden of Eden.

tranquil, relaxing- a hidden gem in killarney

From the moment you turn off the Muckross Road into the tree lined avenue that leads you by the lake to the Hotel you feel you are in for a treat. Ok, so there was an extention to the Hotel in its final stages (adding delux superior lake view rooms) but this did not detract or disturb us throughtout our stay. These rooms will be finished in May and we have already vowed to return when they are completed.

The Hotel staff were very friendly and courteous, the breakfast and dinner delicious and above the 3 star standards expected and the room, whilst maybe a little outdated decoration wise, was spacious and had a terrific view over the lake. We stayed in a superior room and it is well worth the upgrade- we had a balcony, jacuzzi and 4 poster bed-though this may not be as standard.

So tranquil and so relaxing- we decided to commence our stay with a massage from the fabulous Catherine then a dip into the Hot Tub and sauna. Coffee in one of the many lounge areas over looking the grounds and lake completed our transformation from stressed out workers to happy holiday makers.

It is idealy situated at the start of the National Park and yet a 5 minute drive from the hussle and bussle of the town. The Lake Hotel has retained an older world charm yet delivers to its guests expectations. We cannot wait to return

Comments