Muckross Park

SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Unashamed Luxury

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 3, 2008

We'd been toying with the idea of a long weekend in Killarney for ages, and eventually settled on my sister's choice of the Muckross Park as our residence for the long weekend.

It's about four miles from the City Centre on the main Muckross Road. I was a little distracted when I first saw it from the main road as what you see is an old pub beside an old stone house and you think this is the hotel.

However, drive into the car park and around the back and you will see the very grand, new, castle style building that is now the main hotel. Opened in 2006 they have spent a lot of money on this establishment. My initial impressions of the decor were that it was very plush and, for a change, does not depend on the current emphasis on creams and browns.

Check in was immediate and we were shown to our rooms. I was impressed as it was all plush wines and old golds with a canopied bed and plenty of space. There was tons of wardrobe and storage space, together with cable tv, tea & coffee making facilities, a safe etc.

Then came the big disappointment for me. The bathroom. I had an adjoining room with my sister with access from one room to the other through a connecting door. I saw her bathroom first and it was luxurious with a bath, seperate glass fronted shower, twin sinks, fluffy towels and luxury toiletries. My room had......a disabled bathroom. At least, it was classed as such but I have no idea how a wheelchair bound guest would manage to climb into the bath to have a shower. Yes, the only shower was in the bath. Plus there wasn't even a shower curtain. Instead of the twin sinks with tons of storage space that my sister had, I had one of those tiny disabled sinks. Now my Mum is disabled and we couldn't work out how these miniscule sinks benefit disabled people. If either of us tried to wash ourselves or brush our teeth we were showered with water as the tap entirely occupied the sink space.

The second disappointment was the swimming pool. We travelled with two young children and the first thing they packed was a swimsuit. One of the main reasons my sister chose this hotel was because it had a pool. Imagine our collective disappointment the first morning when we arrived down to be informed that the pool here is strictly over 18's only. The reason given is that it is part of a thalasso section of the spa. As we looked with disappointment written all over our faces, the pool was empty.

Unique Quality: I must say that there were very many plus items that would, nevertheless, bring us back to this hotel.

The staff are outstanding, and in particular I would have to mention Emmanuel the restaurants manager and Thomas in the residents bar. These two gentlemen did everything they could to make our holiday most enjoyable and they put themselves out to ensure the children were happy.

The restaurants (Blue Pool, G B Shaws, and Molly Darcys) were excellent and will each have a seperate review here. The bars (again Molly Darcys and also the Residents bar/lounge The Monks) are superb. Again I will write a seperate review for each.

The public areas are very lovely, the library/reading room is comfortable and peaceful and comes stocked with board games and a grand piano.

There's plenty of car parking space and assistance with the luggage is prompt and efficient.

Very Dissappointing

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 13, 2007

Stayed two nights in the Muckross Park hotel, first room very small so asked to be moved to another, second room had an wheelchair friendly bathroom, sink was tiny and had no counter for shaving or other toiletries, there was no shower curtian, almost had to swim from the bath/shower to the room. The room also overlooked the backyard of the hotel and the airconditioning fan was very loud.
Ordered breakfast to the room on both mornings the first morning the pepper cellar was filthy, on the second one breakfast arrived without cutlery or any salt or pepper. Also one of the mini indivudal pots of preserve had been used prior to being deliveried on our breakfast tray.
On the first morning, housekeeping arrived at 1030 to clean the room, then an hour or so later i woke to hear an argument in the hall of my room between two members of staff.

Now I did complain to the manager on leaving the hotel, he was to his credit very professional, he said he was sorry to hear what i've discribed above and said he would investigate and get back to me. That was just over a month ago and I haven't heard a thing.

Vote with your feet!

zuriga's Profile Photo

Great Location for Visiting Kerry

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 28, 2004

This is a terrific, small hotel. Service and room were lovely and the restaurants very enjoyable and first-rate. Parking was very accessible, and the location is perfect for visiting Killarney and the Ring of Kerry.

Unique Quality: Very good food!

Nearby Muckross Park

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Killarney Travel Forum

Need advice about Killarney, Ireland? Visit the Travel Forum for Killarney and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Killarney hotel reviews

Take a carriage ride
Very fresh food
The Skellig Ring
Things to Do
Take a wander round the town
Wonderful stone cathedral
Things to Do
Driving the Ring of Kerry.
Ross Castle.
Torc waterfall.
Muckross Abbey II.
Things to Do
Muckross Abbey or Friary.
Part of the hotel/pub.