Muckross Park

Booking.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

Costs 29% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Unashamed Luxury

We'd been toying with the idea of a long weekend in Killarney for ages, and eventually settled on my sister's choice of the Muckross Park as our residence for the long weekend.

It's about four miles from the City Centre on the main Muckross Road. I was a little distracted when I first saw it from the main road as what you see is an old pub beside an old stone house and you think this is the hotel.

However, drive into the car park and around the back and you will see the very grand, new, castle style building that is now the main hotel. Opened in 2006 they have spent a lot of money on this establishment. My initial impressions of the decor were that it was very plush and, for a change, does not depend on the current emphasis on creams and browns.

Check in was immediate and we were shown to our rooms. I was impressed as it was all plush wines and old golds with a canopied bed and plenty of space. There was tons of wardrobe and storage space, together with cable tv, tea & coffee making facilities, a safe etc.

Then came the big disappointment for me. The bathroom. I had an adjoining room with my sister with access from one room to the other through a connecting door. I saw her bathroom first and it was luxurious with a bath, seperate glass fronted shower, twin sinks, fluffy towels and luxury toiletries. My room had......a disabled bathroom. At least, it was classed as such but I have no idea how a wheelchair bound guest would manage to climb into the bath to have a shower. Yes, the only shower was in the bath. Plus there wasn't even a shower curtain. Instead of the twin sinks with tons of storage space that my sister had, I had one of those tiny disabled sinks. Now my Mum is disabled and we couldn't work out how these miniscule sinks benefit disabled people. If either of us tried to wash ourselves or brush our teeth we were showered with water as the tap entirely occupied the sink space.

The second disappointment was the swimming pool. We travelled with two young children and the first thing they packed was a swimsuit. One of the main reasons my sister chose this hotel was because it had a pool. Imagine our collective disappointment the first morning when we arrived down to be informed that the pool here is strictly over 18's only. The reason given is that it is part of a thalasso section of the spa. As we looked with disappointment written all over our faces, the pool was empty.

Unique Quality: I must say that there were very many plus items that would, nevertheless, bring us back to this hotel.

The staff are outstanding, and in particular I would have to mention Emmanuel the restaurants manager and Thomas in the residents bar. These two gentlemen did everything they could to make our holiday most enjoyable and they put themselves out to ensure the children were happy.

The restaurants (Blue Pool, G B Shaws, and Molly Darcys) were excellent and will each have a seperate review here. The bars (again Molly Darcys and also the Residents bar/lounge The Monks) are superb. Again I will write a seperate review for each.

The public areas are very lovely, the library/reading room is comfortable and peaceful and comes stocked with board games and a grand piano.

There's plenty of car parking space and assistance with the luggage is prompt and efficient.

• Very Dissappointing

Stayed two nights in the Muckross Park hotel, first room very small so asked to be moved to another, second room had an wheelchair friendly bathroom, sink was tiny and had no counter for shaving or other toiletries, there was no shower curtian, almost had to swim from the bath/shower to the room. The room also overlooked the backyard of the hotel and the airconditioning fan was very loud.
    Ordered breakfast to the room on both mornings the first morning the pepper cellar was filthy, on the second one breakfast arrived without cutlery or any salt or pepper. Also one of the mini indivudal pots of preserve had been used prior to being deliveried on our breakfast tray.
    On the first morning, housekeeping arrived at 1030 to clean the room, then an hour or so later i woke to hear an argument in the hall of my room between two members of staff.

Now I did complain to the manager on leaving the hotel, he was to his credit very professional, he said he was sorry to hear what i've discribed above and said he would investigate and get back to me. That was just over a month ago and I haven't heard a thing.

Vote with your feet!

• zuriga's Profile Photo

Great Location for Visiting Kerry

This is a terrific, small hotel. Service and room were lovely and the restaurants very enjoyable and first-rate. Parking was very accessible, and the location is perfect for visiting Killarney and the Ring of Kerry.

Unique Quality: Very good food!

More about Muckross Park

First Class Gourmet Dining

by SabrinaSummerville about Blue Pool

Our three night package at the Muckross Park hotel included a meal at this superb restaurant. Given that it was an "inclusive" meal we all guessed that there would be a limit on what we could order or a special cheaper menu. No such thing! We devoured one mouth watering course after another.

The decor is rich, colours of red and gold, and gently opulent. Tables are perfectly laid out with crist white linen, silver, and fresh flowers. Staff are attendant without being intrusive - some of them were almost intuitive. You are inclined to feel that you are the only guest.

Our party consisted of three adults and two children and the kids were looked after equally as well as the adults. There was no such thing as a kiddie menu serving chips and sausages, but rather the staff spoke to the kids and figured out what they would like. Out came freshly made pizza with organic vegetables and buffalo mozzarello, then later pancakes with fresh fruit compote, and then home made ice cream. As for us adults.

We started with an amuse bouche of cured black ham served with capers. Made you want more.

I then had a risotto of porcini mushrooms, tomato, and truffle oil. The risotto was perfect with one exception - the addition of balsamic vinegar which almost killed the truffle oil. That was my only fault with the meal.

I followed this with monkfish served on a warm salad of lobster and fennel. It was divine. I would eat it all over again.

I passed on dessert as we had opted for some fruity cocktails at this stage.

We sat down to dinner at 7.30pm and left the table after midnight. By this stage the baby had been lulled to sleep in her buggy and the brave 7 year old was being spoiled by the staff serving him "mocktails" and giving him tours of the kitchen.

I would most certainly be back.

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member travelnut_IE

Stayed in the Muckross Park Hotel with my fianceƩ for a weekend break. On check-in the helpful staff managed to get us upgraded to a fantastic suite - four poster king size bed, flat screen tv, two couches, robes, slippers etc.
Our package included dinner for one of the nights and we had a wonderful meal in the hotel's Blue Pool Restaurant, where, yet again, the staff were impeccible - other hotels could learn a trick or two about staff training from them. The food was gorgeous too.
All in all it was a great weekend. I'll definitely be going back.

Well oiled machine!

by TripAdvisor Member Colmfarl

We have just returned from a trip to the south of Ireland. Although, the weather could be improved upon - it was a wonderful couple of days.
We had a wonderful stay in the Muckross Park Hotel and will definitely go back for a longer one. Although from the outside, you would be forgiven for thinking there was nothing special here but you'd be wrong.

I have to admit, the staff in this hotel are probably the best I have come across and I have stayed in many multinational hotels but this beats them all on service. The Sheratons, Radissons and Meridians in the world could learn a thing or two about good service here.

The rooms were tastefully furnished and had fantastic bathrooms. Although, I think they should install minibars and perhaps replace the old TVs with new more modern LCDs.

The restaurant was terrific and once again the staff couldn't be better and there was always offers of tea or coffee in any of the resident ares.

There is one area that could be improved upon - the Reception/check-in area. The desk is too small; this is particularly noticeable at check out time. This is an area that needs to be improved upon and streamlined.

Overall - a wonderful experience.

Not Great

by TripAdvisor Member Drew69

Stayed here in Dec '06. Was not impressed with the hotel at all. I booked a twin room and received a double. Then they switched me to a twin room which was set up for the disabled. There was a tiny sink which was at knee level and there was no shower curtain on the shower - so when I had a shower the bathroom got flooded. The food was nice but the service was very slow - you would not want to be in a rush!!! Also at night they locked the door going into Molly Darcy's pub so in order to get into it you had to go out of the hotel and then back in. To get to the restaurant you also had to go out of the hotel and then back in.

World class experience

by TripAdvisor Member hcmjkm

We stayed for two nights in early January - and everything was perfect. The front desk staff, including day manager Karen, were professional and most accommodating. We were upgraded to one of the nicest suites we have stayed anywhere - a fascinating warren of rooms with arched doorways including a multimedia room with a huge flatscreen HDTV and sofa, and a canopy bed. The huge bathroom included an enormous electronically controlled jacuzzi with stereo (and fun, though a bit over-the-top, underwater lights!).

We had dinner one night in the rustic GB Shaw restaurant, and it was the best dinner of our trip. Since we had stayed at Dromoland two nights earlier, this is saying a lot. The mushroom soup was delectable, and the polenta was delicious - and the candlelit atmosphere and old creaky floors was perfect.

The lobby and main dining room of the hotel is quite modern - lots of marble, but well appointed and comfortable, with lots of rooms and spots to sit down by a fire or lamp to read.

We did not use the spa, but it is one of the most gorgeous and mysterious spas we have ever seen. Too expensive for us, at E50 per day (just to use it - not even for a treatment!), but we were tempted. The Spa employees were some of the friendliest and most professional anywhere.

The location is perfectly wonderful - OUT of the city lights of Killarney, but only a few minutes out. And it is actually inside the national park, right where people begin hikes to the Torc Waterfall and Muckross House. In fact, I think this is the last building you see after you get into the park, before you really get deep inside - so it is a world-class spot.

This was a highlight of all our trips to Ireland. Very romantic.

I cried when I had to leave!

by TripAdvisor Member littlepinkdynamite

I had to write this review because this has to be the nicest hotel I have ever ever stayed in! We went last weekend to have an early Valentines celebration. We booked the Belfry suite which was the stuff fairytales are written about. But from the moment we arrived at the hotel the staff were what made the difference, they were so attentive and not in a fake over the top way you really felt that they wanted you to have a great stay. When were accompanied to our room by the lady in reception and the room itself was spectacular, it had a four poster bed covered in rose petals and four full size gothic windows draped with chiffon as was the bed I felt like a princess. The room had a huge flat screen TV mounted onto the wall, a DVD player, a seperate shower and bath two couches in the living area along with a dining table with two chairs. Soon after we arrived there was a knock at the door and there were two members of staff there with a bottle of wine in an ice bucket, a box of chocolates and a fruit platter....hello!?! We then went to the bar for lunch which was gorgeous and after that we were invited to the Vitality Suite which was included in the package that we bought. The vitality suite consisted of a huge swimming pool with hydro jets, two jacuzzi's, sauna, steam room, a salt grotto, a vichy shower, an outdoor hot tub and a relaxation room. The relaxation room again had four poster single beds with curtains that you could close if you wanted privacy. My husband and I opted for the huge round cream leather double bed with squishy cushions and had a little sleep for ourselves. We were thoroughly relaxed by the time we left this hotel and as I said in the title I nearly cried when I had to leave but the amazing staff kindly allowed us to use the Vitality Suite again after we checked out of the hotel so we were relaxed and ready for the drive home. A five star service, I cannot wait to return!

Out of this world

by TripAdvisor Member HappyWicklow

I had the pleasure of staying in the wonderful Muckross Park in November and found the hotel, the staff, the facilities and the food, to be exceptional. The rooms were glorious with so much attention to detail, no fault could be found. The Cloisters spa was out of this world, I had several treatments and spent two days in heaven being pampered and destressed. The outdoor hot tub (even in November) was throughly enjoyable, staff in the spa were friendly, helpful and extremely professional, in particular Elaine on the reception! I have had no hesitation in recommending both hotel and spa to anybody who wants to enjoy a relaxing break in elegant and luxurious surroundings. I WILL BE BACK. Thank you to the hotel and the staff for a wonderful time.

where to stay in kilarney

by lfc

hi folks
can anyone recommend a good mid price hotel or b&b in kilarney. planning a three night stay from the 7th august
thanks

by zuriga

We stayed at the Muckross Park Hotel quite a few years ago. It was mid-priced then, but I have a feeling it may lean towards more expensive now. It's a beautiful place and had good restaurants.

by wise23girl

We always stay at the Gleneagle and will again in Nov.(a 4 day special for dancing) If you check it out they often have specials which then would make it within the medium price range.The Irish economy is feeling the pinch so you might get a good deal.

Killarney
Glen Eagle info@gleneaglehotel.com 06436000(need codes). They have free bus from the train.

There are many B&B which look good you could probably pick one up on spec as I did the first time in Killarney.

I luv it there.

Marg

by SalthillGuy

Definitely along Muckross road.
There is a huge selection of B&Bs, 3 /4 /5 Star hotels.
Also keeps you out of the traffic.
A visit to Muckross House and Gardens is a must. A lovely walk about.
This is walking distance from any accommodation on Muckross Road.

by CHLuke

I'd second the recommendation for a guesthouse along the Muckross Road or Woodlawn Road. The best thing about Killarney is the scenery, so no need for luxury accom.

For specific guesthouses,try: http://www.mysticalrosekillarney.com/

or http://www.woodlawn-house.com/

I've stayed in both, I'm not sure what the prices are like in August though.

Comments