The Malton

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about The Malton

really enjoyed it

by TripAdvisor Member seahound

I really had a relaxing time at the Great Southern, it was wintertime, and it was so warming to see a real open fire in the lobby as you enter the hotel,
the food was very nice, and the rooms had fantastic comfy beds, which we needed after our bumpy tripon the 'Ring of Kerry' it was bumpy but highly recomended,
im going back to the great southern in september! and i can't wait

How the mighty has fallen

by TripAdvisor Member CIARB

I would recommend this hotel to you only if you are stone deaf. If you are looking for a peaceful and relaxing break, look elsewhere. We had booked a suite for four nights. The first 'suite' offerred was on the ground floor in a sixties (USSR type) wing of the hotel; it was the shape of a portakabin, it had large windows, no blinds and consequently offerred zero privacy. It had all the ambience and charm of a mobile home. On rejecting this appalling room, we were offerred a second floor room in the main house. Although it had a 'back of shopping mall' view, it was a lovely room.

We had a superb meal out in the town at Gabi's seafood restaurant - highly recommended.

On our return to the hotel the nightmare started. We were woken at about 1.00am by scores of drunken wedding guests who had escaped from the reception complex and had taken over the residents bar in the hotel. The management happily poured drink down their throats and illegally allowed them to smoke in the hotel foyer until the last guest crawled out of the hotel at 5.30 am. My complaint to the management solicted an assurance that they had now all left. A promise made that the manager would contact me the following day wasn't fulfilled.

Two hours later, at 7.00am, we were rudely awoken by the sound of three coaches pulling up in front of the hotel - whose engines were left running whilst the hundreds of coach party wallers shuffled on board over the next two hours.

The breakfast was great.

After rooting out a manager the following evening, I was informed that there was another wedding already in full swing , but it was smaller - so there should be no problem.

We did sleep ... until about 3.30am when we were awoken by the dulcid tones of 'Fields of Athenry' at full volume, interspersed with IRA chants beneath our bedroom window. No management or security were to be seen until I complained.

The third day was relatively uneventful, other than for the sound and smell of coaches belching forth diesel fumes into our bedroom from 7.00am to 9.00am, from 5.00pm to 7.00pm and again from 9.30pm to 10.00 pm each evening, when the coach wallers returned from their little trips.

The food and service in the restaurants was still good.

On the last day, the hotel really excelled themselves, by laying on a halloween type party for witches. The party comprised of about 150 lowlife scumbags, all dressed as prostitutes (probably didn't bother changing) who proceeded to get absolutely plastered (surprise, surprise). It was about 1.40am , I recall, when all 150 were eventually evicted en-masse (beneath our bedroom window) .The drunken orgy of swearing, puking and generally disgusting behaviour continued for about another hour after after the hotel management bolted the front door and washed their hands of the problem.

At 7.00 am the noise of the coaches gently awoke us from our slumber. No apologies from management.

To summarise, this hotel is an abslute disgrace. As a paying guest, you feel like you are only there under sufferance. The hotel is completely given over to unruly weddings, dubious parties and coach trippers. It is an awful shame because there is much to like about the hotel, but it is totally negated by not being able to sleep for more than a couple of hours each night.

The hotel has just changed hands (twice) and it shows. The policy of the hotel, clearly, is to make the easy buck from weddings and coach parties - especiously as you don't need to try very hard to please either catagory. The young management team, whilst being apologetic, have no control whatsoever over the unruly elements.

I made them refund the supplement I had paid for the suite (€200), but on reflection they got off very lightly. My advice to you all would be to avod this hotel like the plague until they can get their act together - but don't hold your breath.

Lovely staff

I had reason to stay in The Great Southern in Killarney last Sunday and Monday night. I had originally booked just the Sunday night but on my way to check out I received a phone call from friends making more plans for that night so I extended my stay which was no problem at all.

The room was on the ground floor even though I had asked for an upper floor room when making my reservation but the room I was allocated had a lovely view of the garden and fountain with a huge window. I was probably better off with the one I had. The room itself is old style but clean. The reception and lobby area is wonderful.

The ONLY problem I had with the entire stay was whoever was in the room next to me enjoyed watching TV until the very early hours. This ordinarily is not a problem but the room I was given had interconnecting doors with the other guests room so sound proofing was practically nil. I'm pretty sure if I had commented on this to reception I would have been offered a different room but it hardly seemed worth the trouble.

All in all it was a lovely 2 days in Killarney. I would stay at the Great Southern again. It's cheap and clean with friendly staff and in a great location. What more can you ask for.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member Brookvilleguest

We stayed for a night at the Great Southern in October in the new section. It was rather sleek and beige. The bathroom was nice, and the room was extremely clean. The weather was a little warm so the large window in the room let in lots of fresh air and light. Great location. Walking distance to everything. Staff was professional and helpful. Did not have dinner at the hotel, but at the Londonderry Arms Hotel. Food and atmosphere there were very pub like. Everyone was helpful. The price was reasonable. The hotel was quiet.

best hotel experience i ever had

by TripAdvisor Member model

We had checked into hotel in Tralee which we had to leave as it was terrible The Great Southern took 15 of us in at short notice and a great price. The ambience was great, the staff were helpful over and above their call of duty, the rooms were spacious and clean. The food was excellent particularly afternoon tea. The foyer was warm and welcoming. We had 8 children between us all as you can imagine they could be noisy and messy but we were never made feel unwelcome. It was a delightful experience and i have been ranting and raving about this hotel since my return. I cant wait to go back again.

An overpriced let down

by TripAdvisor Member stephlynch76

My partner and I booked a two night stay in The Great Southern Hotel Killarney on the premise that the 4 star well rated hotel would be a luxurious break away. We were sorely disappointed. The room overlooked a slanting roof, unfortunately the slant was towards the window therefore eliminating any views that potentially were available. The room was over heated but because the room was accessible from the roof we were uncomfortable leaving the window open. The second night we chose to eat in their award winning restuarant Peppers. To cut a long story short, the service was appalling, the food was cold and undercooked and the entire menu overpriced. We were so disappointed at that stage that we debated driving home to Cork rather than spend another night there. However bad weather prevented us from doing that but it pretty much summed up the entire experience. I would definately not recommend this hotel to anyone, despite the old school grandeur it supposedly supplies!

Quality service - the Old lady comes alive again!

by TripAdvisor Member Midland Corkman

This had a reputation of being a little tired but we found none of that. The food was top class, the service unbelieveably good and the athmosphere superb. The pool is good & clean and was awarded a blue flag (independent quality assessment) for 2006/07...the place was largely done up 2 yrs ago and is all the better for it.
The hotel is centrally located and is definetly recommended for a try-out by this Irish reviewer - it has set the benchmark in terms of defining "excellent service"...

Nice room eventually!

by TripAdvisor Member Kerrymonkey

My girlfriend and I booked in for one night. 1st room had a double and a single bed. Little bit cramped but nice. However when she tried to run a bath the water that came out was a lovely shade of brown! I asked for a room change and this was done promptly. Our new room was much bigger and had a great bathroom.
We were at a dinner dance thing which was excellent from food and service POV. I've eaten in their Peppers restaurant in the past and it was class!
Luckily they were able to sort out our initial prob, otherwise this would've been a one star review!

Nice...but not great

by TripAdvisor Member louadguy

Okay, so I'm a little late in posting this...okay, so I'm more than a little late. The Great Southern was nice, but I would not call it grand! However, the service was excellent. It is in a convenient location, and you can easily walk to the town center. The first time we were in Killarney, we stayed at the Hotel Europe with a lake view room (more the size of an apartment). It had the view! The Great Southern has the location. Killarney is charming, but has become rather congested. A nice stay at a nice hotel with good food and superior service. One note...probably will not happen for another 50 years...but it was hot in Ireland in July of 2006...and no air conditioning...but we thought that was probably typical.

Great

by TripAdvisor Member leex

Stayed here with my wife for 4 nights in Sept 05. Had a great time there - lovely room, nice leisure centre, great food in restaurant and a lovely cosy bar. Would highly recommend.

Joey'sJoey's

Edge of the fixed trash binEdge of the fixed trash bin

2500 year old Staigue Fort2500 year old Staigue Fort

Skellig Michael is worth a visit as well !!Skellig Michael is worth a visit as well !!

Comments