The Victoria House Hotel

Ross Castle KillarneyRoss Castle Killarney

The chowder.The chowder.

Muckross house Cart DepotMuckross house Cart Depot

KillarneyKillarney

Please help with itinerary while in Killarney

by drinmyer

Hi. we have 3 days for touring. Arrive SHannon wed. drive to Killareny for Event on Sat. How can we fit in, ROK, Dingle, drive up coast to Cliffs. Our last night is Sun (in Bunratty) for flight out Mon. It's a short visit, mainly for event in Killarney on Sat. So we need to be not tooo far out of the way on friday. Is dingle to far to go out and back (hotel in KIllarney OR should we do it on Sun. as we leave to go up coast to see Cliffs. Thanks for ANY suggestions!

RE: Please help with itinerary while in Killarney

by zuriga

I'm not sure where you're from in the world, but keep in mind that road trips in Ireland take longer than they look on the map. It's slow going. We once spent 3 nights in that same area and did the following:

First day - Arrived at Shannon - stayed in Galway on Connemara Bay.. close to Galway City.
Second day - traveled south (Cliffs of M.) and by ferry over the Shannon and stayed two nights outside Killarney. We drove around the Ring of Kerry one of the two days there.
Third day - Back to Shannon

I'm sure you could switch around the sequence to fit in with your Killarney event. Irish music? :-)

RE: Please help with itinerary while in Killarney

by cruiseplanners_ms

My tour of Ireland was on a coach, and we stayed in Killarney for two nights. We were supposed to go to the Ring of Kerry for a daytrip, but we toured the Dingle peninsula instead. My understanding is that they are daytrips, but take up most of the day because roads are small and there are tons of places to stop.

My inlaws did a 10 day trip, and I remember them saying that the drive to the Cliffs was long (I think they started in Cork).

My suggestion:
-Hit the Cliffs first
-Drive down to Killarney, use that as your headquarters
-Daytrip to Ring of Kerry (or Dingle)
-Daytrip to Dingle (or Ring of Kerry), don't know if you'll have enough days
-Drive back to Bunratty/Shannon (Bunratty castle is very interesting)

Try this weblog: http://radio.weblogs.com/0117154/stories/2003/06/21/theBestDrivingTourOfIreland.html

good luck!

=)

Re: Please help with itinerary while in Killarney

by ditzrdhd

I don't know why you couldn't do both, Ring of Kerry and Dingle. My husband and I did it, We left around 8am and started the Ring, we only stopped a few times to take pictures and what not, and then headed to Dingle in the early afternoon. I have done it 3 times, so I don't know why you couldn't.
Diana

Travel Tips for Killarney

Operation Free Stuff!

by orlikins

www.greatsouthernhotels.com/ This is so bold, but when we were kids and went to Killarney on a day-trip, we went around to the Great Southern Hotel (right beside the the train station) taking all the hotel mini-shampoo and shower-gel bottles and complimentary soaps :)) I dont know why we did it, it's not like we didnt already have them at home ;)

Dingle Drive & the Blasket Islands

by globetrott

Dingle Drive or sometimes also called "Atlantic Drive" is a scenic road that starts at the west-end of Dingle-town and takes you along the scenic coast of the western part of Dingle Peninsula. You will pass by several "beehive-huts" , an old ringfort, plenty of cliffs, and you will even have to drive through a small river that crosses the road on its surface...
See my 4th pic: This lovely house, decorated all over with lovely bears is a B&B, but I am not sure, if they are still operated.
At the very west of that drive you may see the Blasket islands.
They are no more inhabited today, because life became too hard for the people on these remote islands.
Most of them seachred for their luck in the USA during the 19th and 20th century.

Ladies View

by Dabs

From Ross Castle we kept heading west on N71, away from Killarney, until we reached Ladies View, a scenic overlook on the Upper Lake and all of it's channels running into the other lakes in Killarney National Park. The name Ladies View comes from Queen Victoria's ladies in waiting who said this was the finest view in the land. After taking in the view, we turned around and headed back towards Killarney to go see Torc Waterfall and Muckross House before starting on the Ring of Kerry.

Torc Waterfall

by tvdm

This small but very picturesque waterfall is usually teeming with busloads of tourists. But if you're here early of late in the day (or the year, for that matter), you just might catch a serene moment alone here. Enjoy the little valley and you're on your way again!

2 nights in Killarney

by arkryger

"Killarney with it's beautiful lakes"

From Ennis to Killarney we enjoyed Limerick and then on to Adare-a beautiful little town for lunch and a stroll taking in the flowers and old churchs. As we headed on down to Killarney-we shopped and were greeted with an irish coffee The dinner tonight was in Tyree at Finigan's and then on to the Siamsa Tire Dance Show.

"Dinner at Fenigan's"

We had Chicken Kiev, potatoes and caramel banana pie "benoffi"

"Around the Ring of Kerry"

We so enjoyed playing with the sheep as we began our bus tour around-roads very narrow and busses only suppose to go one way around-so very interesting when we met another head on.

Comments