Princess Street, Tralee, County Kerry, Ireland

Satisfaction Average

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

I Never Promised You a Rose Garden

This is perhaps the most infamous hotel in Tralee. The reason for this is that it is the place where the internationally known Rose of Tralee festival is held every year.

I checked in here for one night for a conference and, although I arrived very early, my companion and I were swiftly accomodated in our rooms. We were each given what were termed Luxe rooms on the fifth (top) floor.

My room was in a corner position and accordingly had a corner window – in spite of that I found the room dark. However, it was overshadowed by a protruding roof so next time I would ask for a fourth floor room for more light.

It was well furnished in antique oak with a queen sized bed and two seater sofa. I found the furniture was arranged a lttle awkwardly and I didn’t consider the room very functional from that point of view. For example, the TV was on the floor in a corner to the side of the desk so the only position from which to comfortably watch tv was from the couch.

The bathroom was recently refurbished and spacious. On the other hand, the smell of stale smoke pervaded the room and that’s something I hate.

I think the room had been prepared for someone else, as there was a notice that was addressed to people attendng a particular conference (not mine) advising them of special meal times etc. This notice also told me that there was no room service available. I fund this very odd in a four star hotel, so I called down to reception and sure enough a nice toasted sandwich with fries and tea arrived within about seven minutes. At a cost of €9.35 I thought it was great value, though the sandwich was a little rubbery.

The hotel is very well located in the town centre with a very spacious carpark across the road. There’s also a large leisure centre and beauty spa.

If I were in Tralee again I would most ikely stay in the Manor West, where I had spent the previous night – mainly because of the smell of smoke in the Brandon.

Unique Quality: This is where the famous Rose of Tralee Festival is held and all the "Roses" stay here during the contest.

• charlesracine's Profile Photo

Good hotel and location

We stayed there as part of a small group and we were very satisfied.

Unique Quality: Good accommodation and close to most everything. We were there with a group of 4 booked by Terry Flynn Tours of Waterford and were very satisfied with this and other hotels they booked. All hotels were 4 or 5 star.

• Annie_D's Profile Photo

Cheapest Hotel in Tralee

I absolutely loved this place and would recommend it to anyone. I stayed for two nights in room 201 which was at the back of the hotel. I got great service while staying there and I loved it so much that I am going back there next weekend for two nights again. The only thing I did not like was the lifts across from the reception area, I was bringing some breakfast up to the room and the lift closed on my hands, pretty sore.

Unique Quality: I think the most outstanding characteristics of the hotel was the pool and the gym area. The hotel was right in front of a mountain and it looked really nice.

Directions: When you leave the train station, turn right and take the first left. After that, take another right and go straight on until you pass the Aquadome and then turn right again. It's right there.

More about Brandon Hotel

Ok this town Tralee has a lot...

by jonno99

Ok this town Tralee has a lot going for it and that doesn't just mean good shopping. Tralee is a real haven for great pubs with every street in the town centre containing its own little gem. It's worth taking the time to explore until you find your own particular favourite.

For those seeking open fires, traditional Irish music and a real old fashioned type pub, Seán Óg’s just across from Val’s is the place to be (Rock street). Further on down the road, you will find the Fiddler Bar alongside the Brandon Hotel. Here you'll find a mix of nationalities mixing with the crowd waiting for Spirals disco (Brandon) to open.

I could go on about the Grand Hotel, Bailey's corner but it's been some time so better if you check them out yourselves. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

A worthwhile trip should include Fenit where the Jeannie Johnston set sail for America. You can read all about it on this website

Jeanie Johnston is Ireland's largest Millennium project, costing over Euro 10 million to date. The sailing ship, built at a specially constructed visitor shipyard in Blennerville, near Tralee in County Kerry, was moved in May 2000 to Fenit. The barque is an exact lifesize replica of one of Ireland's emigrant 'famine' ships; the only one to never lose the life of a passenger. Jeanie has been re-built to function as a sail training vessel, a floating museum of the famine era and an Ambassador for the island of Ireland. This has been a cross-border project, aided by trainees and young people from both North and South, and many leading politicians from all political parties in Ireland have visited the ship.
The Jeanie Johnston is a replica 19th century Irish emigrant sailing ship.
The original Jeanie Johnston was built in Quebec in 1847 and never lost a passenger during 16 trans-Atlantic voyages. The re-born Jeanie Johnston is a powerful symbol of North-South and trans-Atlantic co-operation. She will be largest Irish sailing ship afloat.

TRALEE - COUNTY KERRY

by jonno99

"TRALEE"

Ok this town has a lot going for it and that doesn't just mean good shopping. Tralee is a real haven for great pubs with every street in the town centre containing its own little gem. It's worth taking the time to explore until you find your own particular favourite.

For those seeking open fires, traditional Irish music and a real old fashioned type pub, Sean Og's just across from Val's is the place to be (Rock street). Further on down the road, you will find the Fiddler Bar alongside the Brandon Hotel. Here you'll find a mix of nationalities mixing with the crowd waiting for Spirals disco (Brandon) to open.

Jeanie Johnston is Ireland's largest Millennium project, costing over Euro 10 million to date. The sailing ship, built at a specially constructed visitor shipyard in Blennerville, near Tralee in County Kerry, was moved in May 2000 to Fenit. The barque is an exact lifesize replica of one of Ireland's emigrant "famine" ships; the only one to never lose the life of a passenger. Jeanie has been re-built to function as a sail training vessel, a floating museum of the famine era and an Ambassador for the island of Ireland. This has been a cross-border project, aided by trainees and young people from both North and South, and many leading politicians from all political parties in Ireland have visited the ship.

Comments