Straffan Hotels

• SabrinaSummerville profile photo SabrinaSummerville
  • Reviews: 720

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

K Club: Ireland's Lap of Luxury

Otherwise known as the Kildare Club, I have always longed to stay here and most especially since the Ryder Cup was hosted here in 2006.

Now that I've finally realised my dream, I sit here wondering what Tiger Woods and The Wife thought of the smallish bedrooms and the €42 burgers.

That saying, before you wash your hands of the place, read on, as it does have a lot to recommend it......

I arrived a little late, having a 4pm appointment at the spa. The reception staff couldn't do enough and a very charming young man drove me from the hotel to the spa (just minutes away) and marvelled at the bio tech engine in my jeep. I liked him instantly.

Declining the offer of a drive back to my room, I took the short stroll back to the hotel and languished in the evening sun.

The ever helpful Mairead at reception showed me to my room and pointed out the amenities of the hotel. My bags were in situ when I got there.

The room was a slight disappointment. Perhaps it was unfortunate that I had stayed at a four star hotel the previous night in Naas and my room was three times the price at one quarter of the price. I would have to say that I found the room just a little tired and small. It's emulating a Victorian style - but in Victorian times, did nothing match?

The good points were the basket of fruit and box of welcoming chocolates, the enormous and outstandingly luxurious bathroom, the large sized bottles of still and sparkling water, and the fan that was provided when I complained of the heat (but in May? Come on!!).

I simply adored the bathroom. It was almost as big as the bedroom, with double sinks, a sink in tub complete with rubber duckie, and those infamous hand painted walls.

Of course, you also have the benefit of all the facilities of the amazing K Club itself - to include the two Arnold Palmer designed golf courses, the incredible spa, the heavenly grounds, and the signature restaurants.

Put concern about cost to the side. This is a luxury to be wallowed in up to the limit of your credit card.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive