College Road, Kilkenny, County Kilkenny, Ireland

Booking.com Priceline.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• WBeall's Profile Photo

GREAT Customer Service

Hotel Kilkenny was our first hotel on our honeymoon. We had no idea what to expect in Ireland and this was the perfect hotel to start our trip with. The rooms were very comfortable, the televisions were up to date, and all of the bathroom amenities were great and smelt good, they even had both robes and slippers waiting for us on our bed. With this being our honeymoon they took the time to set up a fruit bowl and candy on our table when we arrived. They also upgraded our room to a deluxe and it had a balcony. On the second day in Ireland we were in Waterford and had our wallet stolen, we drove back to the hotel to get everything together. They hotel staff helped us in every way they could without us even asking. They made the entire situation better with their kind thoughts. This was a great hotel and if we ever go back to Kilkenny we will being staying here again.

Unique Quality: They have great breakfast which includes the full Irish breakfast as well as a cold breakfast bar and a variety of drinks.
    A large flat screen TV with satellite,
    Bath robes, slippers.
    Coffee and tea in the rooms,
    A bar,
    A restaurant,
    Large very comfortable bed,
    Free Wi-Fi,
    Free Parking,

More about Hotel Kilkenny

Hard to get some sleep

by TripAdvisor Member michael_Ireland

The hotel itself is well built and offered some good facilities for guest such as kids play area, spa etc but there was several issues during our stay.

first impressions were good but as we stepped off the lift we were greeted by an extremeyl dark corridor which was quite offputting, the lighting was only small spotlights and for some reason the walls/ceiling were painted black. That said this was only a minor point.

The room itself was well appointed and the bathroom was well stocked. There was no airconditioning though and so the room was really dry and stuffy duringt he night.

Our view out was of a half finished garden and we culd see stacks of pallets and a 40ft sea container.

We found the menu in the resturant very limited unfortunately. The starts were fine but we both ordered a steak as the other choices were not great. We thought how could anyone eally do steak badly. We were wrong it was the dryest peice of meat I ever tasted.

Wost of all though was the repeated interuptions to our sleep by noisy guest in the corridors. We had people running, shouting, knocking on doors and so forth through out our second night. having arrived late on friday evening and checked in we had thought little of a single disturbance on the first night but would have asked to move to a different floor ad we thought that this would be the case.

Luckily we had planned quite a tour of the south east of Ireland for the weekend so only used the hotel as a base, perhaps we missed some of the better amenities like the spa tec as a result.

Kilkenny itself was lovely, we toured the city, visited the castle hand had a good walk in it's grounds, visited the design centre too. We then went to waterford city and had a walk on the beach at Dunmore east, all very lovely.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DublinGirl353

We went for a girly weekend on the weekend of the 23/3/07. We had a great time. The hotel reception were very helpful to us and accommodating us. We had three rooms booked (2 people sharing in each) and they made sure our rooms wer as close together as possible. We ate out on the Friday evening, but had lunch and dinner in the Hotel on the Saturday. (If you are having lunch in the hotel I suggest the Toasted Special...it went down a treat with us!!!) The dinner was fantastic, and the staff in the restuarant couldn't do enough for us. The rooms were spotless and very comfortable. The only problem we encountered (if you could even call it a problem, was that when we ordered drinks to our table on the terrace on Saturday afternoon we were so long (about 20mins) waiting for them that one of our party had to go in and see what was going on only to see them sitting on the bar and she was more or less asked to bring them out herself, which she didnt mind but she assumed that them taking the order at your table would mean they be dropped to your table. How and Ever.... it was a great weekend and the staff... minus the bar staff were excellent

Easter in Kilkenny

by TripAdvisor Member MCC55

This was our first stay in Hotel Kilkenny. The rooms were large, clean and comfortable but were a little shabby compared to what you might expect in a high quality hotel, there were unfilled holes in the walls from were previous pictures had been hung, there was no mini bar, the furniture was a little plain, there was no air conditioning, the lights in the bathroom were not very bright and a small amount of mould was beginning to form in the tiles around the bath.

On the plus side, the bathrooms were very well stocked with loads of towels and complimentary kits, (shaving, dental, shampoos etc.) The bed was large and very comfortable and there were complementary bottles of water supplied to our room each day.

Contrary to some of the other reviews, there was no noise any of the nights that we stayed and we got the rest we were looking for during our stay. Also contrary to a previous review, there were complimentary newspapers available each morning at reception, a luxury that I made the most of!

The leisure facilities were great! The gym and pool were of a higher quality than some five star hotels I have stayed in.

The food at the hotel was quite nice (7/10). There was a great selection for breakfast, although some of the pastries weren't great. The staff were efficient, helpful and friendly (the chef made a smiley face from the sausages, eggs and pudding in my full Irish!!) - These were traits of the staff in the hotel that we encountered throughout our stay.

We had dinner in the hotel on one of the nights and again there was a good menu to choose from. It was tasty while not outstanding.

Overall, we had a great stay in Hotel Kilkenny. The staff were great,
the hotel was very comfortable and it gave us the relaxation we were after.

Good Hotel and Friendly Staff

by TripAdvisor Member HarryHarris-Johnson

I stayed here on a business trip but I would use this hotel for a personal trip.

The rooms were of OK size and clean and tidy - this can not always be guarenteed.
I think that my room had just been updated so looked good.
I was on the grond floor and over looked a lovely garden.
Generally as a single person I would not feel too safe on the ground floor but there were key activated security doors into the corridor - this made me feel v safe.

I ate in the restaurant and the food was lovely - a varied menu and good wine (it was nice to see lots of wine sold by the glass).

Free internet access was a bonus.

Loved It,Loved it,Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member Dub39

This hotel was great.Would highly recommend it for all ages.5 mins outside the town but taxis readily available for about 5/6 euros.Rooms are really spacious with slippers and robes waiting for you .Nice touch.The food in the bar is also very nice.Just 1 thing,bring your own iron.The irons provided are those liitle travel ones which are not great.There was a wedding on both friday and sat but we were on the 4th floor and didnt hear a thing.We heard reports of a fight on our floor early sun morning but again we didnt hear anything.Only niggle,a lot of slamming doors late at night but that cant be helped.Tip: if you are going into the town,go to Ripleys Steakhouse ,just halfway down the parade and down the alley,across from Dunnes Stores.Really nice food and quite cheap. Just down from Dunnes ,a fab french restauarant ,dont know the name but great food and again quite reasonable.Would def recommend this hotel and would go back in a heartbeat.Spa and leisure centre on sight but ladies,would advise to book treatments early

Stay Away

by TripAdvisor Member DublinMember1616

I stayed here with a group of friends for a weekend and I was very dissapointed with most aspects of the hotel. The price was the first thing. Hotel Kilkenny is not cheap so you would expect high standards when you check in but that is not the case. The main thing were some members of staff. After returning home early from the centre of the city we decided to have a drink in the hotel bar. We were told that the residents bar was closed even though we could see about twenty other people still drinking!!!! After politely asking why there was a problem as we were residents we were basically told to go to bed!!! I wont stay here again and I recomend that if you read this that you dont either. Book early and go to Langtons instead.

noisey noisey noisey

by TripAdvisor Member aidoMeath

very nice modern looking hotel,the rooms nicely finished,but ,and this is a major issue.....noise... there is no sound proofing in this hotel on our recent vist to kilkenny we stayed in this hotel but really we prob would have had a more peacefull sleep if we had slept in the car....the noise coming from the corridor was awfull ,at times we thought that there were people in our room stomping about...stay somewhere else....

worst food +staff ever

by TripAdvisor Member Lo_24

My experience at this hotel wasn't the best, we arrived and told we couldn't book in untill four, then we went down to our room and they hadn't even been cleaned. After no apology we then went for some pub grub which turned out to be disgusting.the chips were soggy, the fish was grey, and the pasta was rubber.I complained to the head waiter and he replied with thanks for telling me.So no deduction from bill or apology againnnn. Then our breakfast the next morning was just as bad, we all ordered scambled egg and bacon which was like water and didn't taste like egg and our bacon was grey also. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.I wouldn't be one to complain about hotels but this just ruined our stay.

Bad Food, worse Service

by TripAdvisor Member JoeDublinEire

Here for 2 nights 21 22 July 2007 with 15 others, hotel itself is lovely but the food is expensive and digusting,
We had the bar food the first night, it's terrible. soggy chips and rubber chicken.
Restaurant is the same, we returned one meal and just didn't eat the rest.
Clearly not a Chef on staff.

Staff are completley useless, messed up the reservations, lost food orders, ignore you at the bar then act like thier doing you a favour when you ask them to do something.

Complaints are met with a smile and "sorry about that" no attempt to compensate or remedy.

I would steer well clear,
take you hard earned cash and put it somewhere that provides value for money.
I've stayed in the river court hotel, Kilkenny before and its a much better deal.

Joe Dublin

Over rated

by TripAdvisor Member MakePieNotwar

For such a highly regarded hotel, it was a little dissappointing. The
corridors leading to the rooms were very dark and narrow, it almost felt like I was on board a ship.

The room itself was quite comfortable and very spacious but there were no net curtains on the window which was particularly annoying seeing as my room was on the ground floor and everyone could see in!
My TV didn't work, which was a little annoying.

I ended up getting a good night sleep however it was a little too warm in the room and opening the window didn't suffice.

On a brighter note- The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Daniel Bollard's pub/restaurantDaniel Bollard's pub/restaurant

Kilkenny storesKilkenny stores

Stone Carved tomb at Jerpoint Abbey, Co KilkennyStone Carved tomb at Jerpoint Abbey, Co Kilkenny

The TholselThe Tholsel