Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel

Super Food at the Ormonde

by TripAdvisor Member stayed there

The Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel was where I was able to stay for business as opposed to a holiday. The hotel is four star and rightly so. The reception is almost invisible though you know it is there, it is not in your face. Beside the reception there is a coffee/bar area where it is quite enough to relax but also intimate. There is also a baby grand piano in the bar, which I would suspect would make a pleasant evening of drink, friends and song.The Restaurant which says it is advisable to book in advance, though, we were able to go to it at 20:30hrs and were seated straight away I believe we were lucky as there was a big convention on in the city and delegates were eating elsewhere and it stays open to 22:00hrs. The menu and wine list was bountiful in selection and I had the Roast Ostrich which I have never had before it was marvelous. The Restaurant food was one of the best menus and quality I have ever had while staying at a hotel and the waiting staff were very pleasant, knowledgeable and attentive, FULL marks. Make sure you get up for breakfast as it is a wonderful start to the day. Again a varied menu, but the full Irish should do the trick The bedrooms were very clean with ample towels and a good adjustable shower and double wash basin with a feast of products to pamper oneself. The Mini bar, TV, decor and bed were all very pleasing. There is a pool and fitness centre attached to the hotel but I didnt have the time to use it. There is also a car park and the hotel is central to the Castle and tourist attractions which abound. I look forward to returning to this hotel it is well worth it. Kilkenny is a wonderful friendly historic city.

Unreal experience- Worst Hotel EVER

by TripAdvisor Member UnbiasedOpinion

Having just spent a weekend in the Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel all i can is that it's best AVOIDED. The front entrance and reception area give the feel of a high quality up to date, modern professional hotel. Do not let this fool you!!!! We were greated by a young man who lets just say was more busy organising his social life with his friends on the phone than talking to guests or helping them book in. On the way up the stairs to our room and along the corridors my heart went out to the poor girls who were trying in vein to clean them. The stains and dirt on the carpets and the black marks on the walls as if someone had rubbed the side of their shoe along it looked like they had been ground in for all eternity. However all the housekeepers greated us with a cheery hello and asked if we were okay.

The bedroom itself i honestly have no complaints. Top of the line beautifully furnished and very clean.

I must say all the staff were extremley friendly and curteous which is very nice to see especially amongst the younger staff. However the managers are an entirely different story. The one question i repeatedly asked myself was how these people worked in a hotel let alone came to be managers!!!!!!!!! They should take some pointers from their staff.

On my stay i encountered 4, one of whom was a very efficient highly welcoming head receptionist an extremely friendly women who nearly knew what you were going to ask before you did. The 2nd was The accomodation manager a tall, heavy, greasey haired women with glasses who looked like she was "going to land you one". From her name badge i suspected it was a foreign name but later discovered her to be Irish. Lets just say the first imperessions lasted she is one of the most ignorant, curt, nearly abusive managers i have met in a long time.
The next manager i had the misfortune to meet was the Leisure Club Manager.....I dont even know where to start.......inifficient, higly insulting. She tries too hard to be friendly and comes across as patronising. She has NO manner and definatley NO people skills. Manager???? she should be manager of the basement and kept away from people. There is an underground tunnell linking the hotel to the leisure club which looks like it was last cleaned in the stone age****. It is beyond me how this leisure club is rated as one of the best in Kilkenny, its filthy and for a white flag resort is appauling. When using the centre my cloths were left in the grubby changing rooms when i returned to change i found them soaking wet when i complained to the manager i was told the floors have to be cleaned you should have put your clothes up. Please please someone send this woman on a customer care and customer interaction course. Shes about as welcoming as a rabid dog.

The final and deffinatley the worst of all had to be the GM... Talk About The Monkeys running the Zoo - or - The Clowns running the circus this man hasnt a clue! Like his leisure club counterpart --ignorance personified. This man i cant even describe....he nearly expects you to worship at his feet and his answer to all complaints seems to be "''''well now thats not fair it could be worse'''''.

Trust me nothing could be worse.

If you like nice clean hotels with a friendly customer orientated atmosphere AVOID at all costs.

I've never been so disappointed it should be a minus -4 star rating.

A disaster from begining to end!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Lol2006

I've just returned from a weekend stay in the Ormonde Hotel and it was dreadful from beginning to end. On arrival we were met at reception by a highly inexperienced and very unhelpful lady who took ages to get us checked in. She didn't seem to know how to check somone in correctly and made no apologies for delaying us for so long.

The overall appearance of the hotel is dated and needs a complete revamp - the carpets in the reception area are faded and fraying at the edges and the furniture has seen better days and the decor in the bedrooms is far from tasteful. It was not the standard I would have expected from a 4* hotel.

Staff in general were friendly and helpful but I found some of the managers to be very curt when dealing with guests and the GM didn't seem to know how to run a hotel at all.

My advise is don't waste your money staying here - a caravan has more luxury than this hotel.

Great Hotel in a Central Location

by TripAdvisor Member Allyone

I have stayed at this Hotel three times in the last three months, On business, but on one occasion my wife accompanied me, at that time they upgraded us to an executive room, at no extra cost, that room was enormous. and very stylish.

This is truly a 4star hotel, the rooms are very well furnished, modern and spotless. The Iron and Ironing board is very handy, especially if you are travelling.

My Wife and I had Dinner there, at 38 euros for a 4 course meal which is prepared to a very high standard, is well worth it.

On my last visit I advised the Breakfast staff that I was in a hurry, the cooked meal came within minutes, and I was out of there in quick time

I would thorougly recommend this hotel, I certainly will use it on future visits

Would certainly not return

by TripAdvisor Member CailinIreland

Stayed in this hotel with my boyfriend for a valentines treat and was very dissappionted. 1st of all I have stayed in both 2 and 3 star accomadation before that would be in my opinion better than this "4" star hotel.

Although the main reception area and foyer seem quite nice, do not be fooled. The carpets in the hallways leading to the rooms appear quite dated and stained. There was actually a really bad stain outside the door of our room and I don't even want to think about what it was!!!

On entering the room it wasn't as spacey as expected. The bathroom is quite small and yellow stains were on the walls. I then looked out my window to see an underpants on the ground beneath, that had been left by a previous guest I presume.

The room was also very warm at night. And as for the disco underneath don't even get me started. 1stly we were never informed about it and secondly we were right overhead it. I felt as if my bed was inside in the club. It finishes at 2 but then u have to listen to the people leaving and hanging around it for another half hour or so.

So after a sleepless night we went for breakfast the next morning which was quite average. When we got back to our room check out was at 12 and not once but twice a maid knocked on the door to try clean our room at 10.30 and again 11.15. This was the final nail in the coffin. i could not wait to leave the place. As we were checking out I overheard another guest saying she was going to write a letter of complaint. Obviously we were not the only ones dissappionted in our stay.

A friendly, comfortable hotel

by TripAdvisor Member wynnumist

We enjoyed our visit to this hotel. It was efficient, comfortable and good value. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room large and well furnished, and the breakfast was good, as was lunch in the bar. They allowed us to check out late (mid afternoon) at no extra charge, and we got free parking too.

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Bermac

I stayed at the Ormonde on Saturday 24th March and could not have been happier with the hotel. Firstly, it was the only 4* hotel in Kilkenny which would take a booking for Saturday night without insisting that I booked for Sunday as well. Following on from that, everything else was top notch, and I found the staff to be extremely friendly and eager to help in any way. The room was spacious, well appointed and clean. Breakfast, which I had delivered to the room, was prompt, hot and delicious. Also, the staff were more than happy to give a little leeway with regard to checkout times. Overall, an excellent hotel which I would have no hesitation in recommending.

Great stay in the Ormonde...

by TripAdvisor Member Cian2007

Hi. I stayed in the Ormonde on the 16th of February 2007. This was my first trip to Kilkenny and I couldn't have been more happy with my stay in the Ormonde. Excellent front desk service, great quality rooms and I had a lovely breakfast the following morning. Very friendly staff. Special thank you to Fergal Collins for being so helpful on the day.

lovely experience

by TripAdvisor Member jimmymul

I stayed in the Ormonde last weekend and had a wonderful time.
I found it had everything i needed and then some. The lounge was top class with great food and service. The room was great and there was a really good leisure centre connected to the hotel. Very centrally located and overall a great weekend in a top class hotel

very impressed

by TripAdvisor Member sunshineWicklow

Date: Easter 2007
Reviewer: local Irish family.
I have to say after reading some of the reviews on this site I was a bit sceptical of our reservation. We need not to have worried.
We were greeted with smiles and staff wanting to help us at every turn. Our room a good sized family room as we have 3 children 9, 7 and 5 was spotless and spacious . The food was excellent and the bar and restaurant staff couldn't do enought for our children asking them if they want anything else and making sure they were happy at all times also including an Easter egg hunt and every child got an Easter egg whether they won or lost.
The leisure centre was a great size and plenty for all of us to do. For a city centre Hotel I couldn't recommend it enough central to all shops choice of restaurants and pubs.

The Castle entranceThe Castle entrance

Tourist info officeTourist info office

The Nostalgia Cafe, Kilkenny cityThe Nostalgia Cafe, Kilkenny city