3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 36% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Newpark

I've never stayed in the Newpark but, as it's close to home, I've often been in for dinner and drinks. It has been completely refurbished and th ereception/lobby now looks rather bizzare but i'd recommend it.

More about Premier Newpark Hotel Dublin

Good Basic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member LawGuy

I was wandering about south central Ireland in between stays with family members and spent one night at the Newpark. I was surprised that a hotel of that size actually had a swimming pool. Folks were gathered in the bar for the Europeane football finals. The bar seemed decent enough as none of my drinks disagreed with me. Breakfast was quite good as well. The rooms were nicely appointed and many rooms have wireless internet (otherwise you must get a cable from the front desk). The hotel also has a car park surrounding it. The worst thing I can say is that my bed was quite hard. Some travelers may want to know that this hotel is actually a bit outside city centre and you would need a car to get into town.

Lovely rooms

by TripAdvisor Member ivanmcc

We had a lovely room, large, new, stylish and comfortable. Huge bathroom with separate shower. Food in the restaurant was good. Enjoyed the leisure centre and gym. Had to queue at peak times for breakfast, check-in and check out though it was a bank holiday weekend and they had 2 weddings. Bit far from town for walking home after the pub and Kilkenny is buzzing at night so taxis don't look like an easy option. Friendly staff, though not very tuned in to local tourism interests.

not premier

by TripAdvisor Member vinobrien

I wouldn't recommend you stay here. Hotel laid out all over the place. The breakfasts are terrible and not worth getting up for.
The restaurants menu is really limited and the food tastes poor and presentation and service is humourus. If this is a four star hotel I would have to Question the means by which these stars are given out. Brown water in the bath, the rooms are outdated and the service questionable. I believe this hotel was recently renovated ? The hoteliers in Las Vegas have the right idea, when a hotel becomes outdated they knock them down !!

Disapponted with Newpark

by TripAdvisor Member NemiDublin

Just back from a 2 night stay at the Newpark. The room was extremely shabby. The air was pungent with the smell of smoke and all of the soft furnishings also smelt very strongly of smoke. One half of the curtains was hanging off the rail on one side and the room looked generally like it had not been renovated or thoroughly cleaned in years! If you are a non-smoker or indeed a smoker who wants a fresher room, be sure to request a non-smoking room when booking.

The walls are paper thin and you could hear doors banging and parties from other rooms throughout the night. We complained to management on several occasions about the noise from certain rooms. However, their attempts to quieten problem guests were unsuccessful. The behaviour of guests is out of the control of the hotel to a certain extent, but if there had a least been some level of decent soundproofing in the rooms it may not have been quite so bad.

The main reception areas of the hotel are fresh and modern as are some of the bedrooms. It appears though that those rooms located towards the far end of the hotel were never renovated and this is unfortunately where we were. If you were staying in the newer part of the hotel, the rooms may well be of a good standard, so I would certainly ask about this before booking at the Newpark. We booked directly with the hotel and received a two night deal which included one evening meal. We suspected that people staying 'on deals' were given the old shabby rooms.

The evening meal and breakfasts were very nice and staff in the restaurant were extremely helpful, pleasant and efficient.

The hotel is located outside of Kilkenny city. I imagine it would take you about 25 minutes to walk into the centre. A taxi ordered by the hotel to take us to the city centre cost €10.50.

One last thing, be careful that you keep a record of the price quoted to you by the hotel. Upon check-out the hotel tried to charge us for an extra meal when we were leaving. We did quickly resolve the matter with the receptionist but we were glad we had requested e-mail confirmation of the price. I recommend you do the same ....just in case!

Not so Newpark

by TripAdvisor Member kilkenylady

Being a native of Kilkenny I decided to take a break in my home town out of Dublin and stayed in the Newpark. Having arrived and checked in I was shown to my room in the bowels of the earth ,past the laundry room ,doors wide open and in full view of all the contents radio blaring. To cut a long story short and two rooms later I was happy on the second floor despite having been told that the hotel was full up .
Breege the Assistant Manager was very helpful in sorting out the accomodation problem and left me in no doubt that some guests would love the "bowels" of the hotel and that they were closing in November for a 10million euro make over. Some of the rooms had been decorated already but the two rooms that I was in prior to the final one were shabby, smelly and no outlook unless you call an "oil tank "a view through dirty windows.
The hotel was very comfortable and clean above ground .Dinner was average but not worth €45 per head. Breakfast was the usual hotel fare and despite a big notice in the lift requesting guests to get down to breakfast early there was a queue both mornings so nobody took a blind bit of heed to that.
I think if the hotel want guests down for early breakfast stop serving it at ten and not ten thirty .After all its the last thing I expected to see pasted up in a lift . What kind of message does that send home to our foreign visitors I wonder.This hotel needs a big makeover in terms of staff. A meet and greet course which includes how to smile would help. I did put my thaughts in writing to the Managing Director after all the is a request form left in the rooms for guests to fill in an return............ so I did.

Good Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Kool_Thing

Stayed for 1 night in Newpark during August '08. I had a very enjoyable stay. I found the accomodation to be clean and rooms to be of a good size, hotel has a good bar and serves an excellant breakfast.

Hotel is a short stroll from Kilkenny Town center. I would stay here again.

big disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member MidlandsGrace

I was very disappointed with the furnishings of the hotel rooms. The bedspreads, curtins and carpet were all old, worn and a dull brown. The furniture was 70's style. The bedrooms would do nothing to lift your spirits. I would not like to stay any length of time in them.
The corridors smelt of stale air.
The bathrooms were ok.
The staff were very helpful.
Breakfast was good.
I cannot see how this hotel has got a four star rating. I would consider it a poor 3 star hotel

I Wish I Read These Reviews Before Booking

by TripAdvisor Member MurfIreland

I really do wish I read these reviews before booking. I can appreciate that some people had a good experience, however, I have to say, count yourself lucky. I am not one to complain about things, but I have never ever ever been so dissapointed or disgusted. Our experience was very bad to say the least. Like some of the previous reviews, our room was in 'the basement'. There was a terrible smell, and worst of all the bed was damp. I wont even begin to go on about the 'treck' to the room, the old decor or the 20 min wait to check-in while two other couples took up reception with their complaints.

We were offered another room, however, it is not acceptable in this day and age to sit on a damp bed for 20 mins. We paid quiet alot to stay in a 4 star hotel, and what we were then being offered, would make the worst B&B that I have ever stayed in look fabulous.

Do take note of the bad reviews. We ended up paying over €100 more booking other places, for what was supposed to be 4 star treatment in this hotel.

We ended up leaving at 10:30 that night, to find somewhere else. Not Good Enough!

Ice cold in alex!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member frankiecee

Stayed here weekend of 3rd/4th October. we were allocated a dirty cold room on the second floor towards the rear of the hotel.to say it was cold would be doing it a disservice,we would have been warmer in the kitchen coldroom.when we complained we were told there were no other rooms available but they would send someone up to check the heating, they lied because nobody came to investigate and we ended up freezing our butts off .we demanded a change of room the next day and the new room on the 3rd floor was a completely different story,modern ,clean and very comfortable. i would recommend when booking a room in this hotel to ask for one of the upgraded rooms where the heating actually works. the hotel restaurant serves a decent breakfast but just like previous reviewers the queues are unreal and in this day and age are not acceptable. the evening meal at €45 per head is definitely NOT worth the money and someone in this hotel needs to sort things out before too long ,especially in the current economic climate as in my view people will vote with their feet and stay away unless things change,and soon!!!

Comments