The Bridge, John Street, Kilkenny, County Kilkenny, Ireland

Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• barryg23's Profile Photo

River Court

Tourist and visitor numbers to Kilkenny have increased significantly in recent times and this is reflected in the number of new hotels, B&Bs, etc being built. Kilkenny is now seen as a weekend getaway place by Dubliners and stag parties in particular seem to be held here every weekend. The best time to visit is in the summer though you would be well advised to book accomodation in advance. If you are arriving during the 'Cat Laughs' comedy festival, the Nolan Park Concert, or Arts Week, in early June, mid-July and late August respectively, book well in advance.

In the picture is the River Court - a relatively new hotel overlooking the river. It's right in the middle of the city but can be a little pricey.

Directions: John's Street - before the bridge

• wadekorzan's Profile Photo

Great hotel with a great location!

Located right on the river in Kilkenny, there are spectacular views of Kilkenny castle from this location.

Directions: Situated right on the riverfront in Kilkenny Center.

More about River Court

Fabulous stay at the Kilkenny River Court Hotel

I recently stayed in the fantastic River Court Hotel for a relaxing weekend. It was our first time in this hotel and we were delighted with everything, the service was second-to-none, as was the food, and the location is breathtaking. Very relaxing to sit on the terrace & have a drink whilst looking at Kilkenny Castle.

The rooms were lovely, with some nice touches, we ate in the restaurant and both the food and ambience were exceptionally good. The staff were all extreemly friendly but with a relaxed vibe.

We used the spa and pool facilities and also found these excellent.

Will definitely be returning to this fabulous hotel.

Day 4, and the Best B&B of our stay

by danmcf about Dunromin B&B

The best yet!
We caught Val & Tom during their 'opening week' after being closed for the winter months. Tom was sprucing up the exterior as we walked up. Upon greeting us, Val asked for our breakfast order, showed us our room, and said she'd wait for us to settle in then she'd meet us in the guests sitting room (where coffee, tea, and sconce were available) to help us with anything we needed.
Val suggested dinner at the Kilkenny River Court Hotel which was right on the mark. After missing the last Castle tour upon arrival to Kilkenny, dinner on a riverside terrace overlooking the Castle was a pleasant consolation.

This was our 1st room not on the ground floor, and had the smallest bathroom. Val had an activities & restaurant scrapbook for the area, and driving directions for the scenic route to Dublin. As my daughter said, "Val & Tom are like the 'Grandparents' one dreams of having". Not only did Val remember exactly what we wanted for breakfast the next morning, she also introduced us to all the other guests eating breakfast. She had 2 large tables set, and we shared our table with other guests (all other B&B's had separate tables per room). This really 'broke the ice' and we all had a nice chat - like one big happy family.

The only regret we had was not being able to stay here for any more nights; and the only drawback was enjoying their company so much that we left a bit later than planned for.

Drinks at the River Court Riverside Bar

by SabrinaSummerville

There is little more lovely on a hot day during an Irish Indian Summer than sitting riverside at the outdoor bar of the fabulous Kilkenny River Court Hotel. As KK has a reputation for being the sunniest and warmest city in the country you are more likely to get suitable weather here than anywhere else.

Tables are situated outside right on the riverbank and the view directly across from you is of the ancient and architecturally stunning KK Castle.

Looking downriver you have outstanding views of the bridge and, as the riverbank itself is so beautifully landscaped, you are spoiled for choice of natural beauty no matter which direction you look.

You don't need to be a resident to drink at the bar here, but it's so nice that you just might be tempted to stay on.

Could do Better

by TripAdvisor Member conorw

We recently stay at the Kilkenny River Court Hotel and were extremely disappointed with our visit. We found the service in both the bar and restaurant very poor indeed, there was no real management presence, the manager on duty appeared to be more interested in talking to the staff instead of managing the operation and its services.

All-around great hotel

We were on a private 12 day tour of Ireland and we stayed 2 nights at the Kilkenny River Court Hotel on the River Nore. The hotel has old-world charm, even though it's a fairly new hotel. The location is stunning: along the River Nore across from the Kilkenny Castle. This was our favorite city and definitely our favorite hotel. The breakfast that was included was excellent and carried us all through the day until early dinner. Don't miss a drink in the bar or a glass of wine out on the terrace overlooking the river. This city is well worth exploration. Lots of wonderful restaurants and shops. Two days didn't seem like enough.

Great Stay

I stayed at the Kilkenny River Court Hotel the other week, for the second or thrid time, and had a great stay, the staff were great and really friendly, I got up to my room and it was exactly what I needed, clean, and everything that I would expect from a top hotel.
I had breakfast whitch was brilliant, they have a great selection.
I also had lunch in the bar and it was proberly one of the best meals that I have ever had, great lion of bacon. The staff were prompt and friendly.

The Check Out was prompt and friendly.

I thank all the staff there for a great Stay

Good location; poor place

by TripAdvisor Member frogprince

I stayed at the Kilkenny River Court Hotel for one night during the second week of May, 2006. The bathroom was clean but the room was tired, with soiled carpet that made me question whether I should walk around barefoot. The woman who checked us in was cold and mechanical, but a different staffmember I overheard checking in another guest was animated and friendly, so maybe it was just this one person who was not suited to dealing with the public. Service in the restaurant was lackluster and the food was average. I chose this establishment based on positive reviews I read on this forum, but I wouldn't go back nor would I recommend it. In my opinion, the only thing it has going for it is location.

Standareds here have certainly fallen

by TripAdvisor Member stewjones

Have often stayed at the Kilkenny River Court Hotel over the past few years and have always enjoyed my visit to this hotel. Unfortunately are last experience was far from pleasant.

I suppose we should have been concerned when we had difficulty trying to make a booking, the staff on reservations seem to be clueless and we had to make numerous calls until finally our reservation was confirmed in writing and deposit paid.

On arrival the reception desk was in ciaos, they seemed to be
extremely short staffed and those working on the desk seemed to be totally inexperienced as we were twice given the key to a room that someone else was occupying. We were given on information about the hotel as would be customary.

We phoned reception to make a reservation for dinner however when we
arrived in the restaurant they had no record of our booking. Dinner over all was OK the service wasn’t bad however we felt the food was not as good as it had been in the past. Perhaps we are being a little unfair, we did enjoy it.

Breakfast however was a different story, there were long delays for a table, once you got your table it was impossible to get a member of staff to serve you tea and toast, the food on the buffet was cold and overall very disappointing.

Clearly something has happened in this hotel to have standards fall so low in such a short period of time, the management her need to revisit the fundamentals of hotel keeping.

Comments