Rosquil House

Castlecomer Road, Kilkenny, Ireland

More about Rosquil House

Terrific experience

by TripAdvisor Member bostongirl78

This place was truly excellent. My husband and I are from Boston, and we were on a two-week trip through Ireland when were stopped here. We were treated so well by the hosts, and we had a wonderful time. The room was 4-star hotel quality, the breakfast was amazing, and the hosts were terrific. We were there during the arts week, and there was a show in the house! We spent time with the artists, drinking wine with our hosts, and chatting with the other guests. I can't say enough about this place. It was by far our best accommodation in Ireland.

Clean and Simple. Great B & B!

by TripAdvisor Member watkinsmommy

This is a beautiful bed and breakfast. Spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated in modern style. This newer bed and breakfast has beautifully appointed rooms and wonderful food. Try the omelet with salmon! Great and friendly hosts. Close walk to Kilkenny City Center. Minutes away from Kilkenny Castle and the Kilkenny Design Centre. Tip (go to the cafe on the 2nd floor in the Kilkenny Design Centre across from the Kilkenny Castle. Excellent homemade food!

Winning combo: Irish charm and modern convenience

by TripAdvisor Member wiblet

My husband and I, along with our friend, greatly enjoyed our stay here over 4 nights in early September. In our 2 week trip around Ireland, Rosquil House was, hands down, the winner in our B & B comparison: the best breakfasts, very generously sized rooms in which everything is new, spotlessly clean and functioning well, and friendly, helpful attention by hosts Rhoda, Phil, and their daughter Jenny.

My husband and friend, who have some difficulty with steps, were particularly delighted to find that our 2 rooms were on the ground floor--almost unknown in our experience of European B & B's. Rosquil House is indeed much like a boutique hotel as a former reviewer has noted. The decor is lovely, the delicious breakfasts, including a myriad of choices, are cooked to order, and Rhoda makes it her mission to see that everyone has good things to see and to eat each day--along with advice and directions how to get there. The whole family is very charming and interesting in relating their own experiences and their take on American and Irish cultures and contemporary issues. The relatively low price makes Rosquil House an excellent value.

We had a car and drove into town; however, it is an easy (if noisy along a busy road) walk for a physically fit person. From Kilkenny we toured the Rock of Cashel, one of the highlights of our trip to Ireland--a must see in our opinion. Kilkenny seems to have many good restaurants for a city of its small size--we particularly enjoyed Pordylos and Zuni.

We cannot recommend the food at the Brog Maker pub down the street that other reviewers have mentioned. We enjoy good pub grub and liked many on our trip, but our meals there were terrible--the worst we had in Ireland.

Best B&B in Ireland

by TripAdvisor Member irelandtrip-july07

On a 10 day roadtrip around Ireland, my friend and I shared a spacious double room at Rosquil House - it was modern, friendly and comfortable. The owners are a cheerful family that can cook a fantastic breakfast (included in the price); I highly recommend the delicious pears served at breakfast, they were canned on-site.

2nd time and Just a brilliant

by TripAdvisor Member C00LBEANS

This was my second time I have stayed at Rosquil House. It hasn't lost any of its charm or quality.

Great place. Fantastic brekafast. Super clean. Quiet.

Perfect.

Thanks

Excellent B & B

by TripAdvisor Member burrowsydney

Of the five B & B’s we stayed at in Ireland during September this was, by far, the best. It is modern and the standard / cleanliness of our room / bathroom, on the first floor, was excellent similarly the breakfast room and lounge / sitting room.

Our only regret was we couldn’t have stayed longer at Rosquil House and Kilkenny. We arrived early evening, had dinner at Langtons, as suggested by Phil and Rhoda’s daughter and the food / ambiance there was very good.

We had to return our hire vehicle to Dublin by 11 am the next day so our breakfast, insisted upon by Rhoda, was terrific albeit rushed. Rhoda was very helpful with all our needs during our brief stay.

Should any reader intend traveling from Kilkenny to Dublin on the same day and have a time schedule to meet be sure to allow more than adequate time as the traffic around and in Dublin was ugly. As it was we left Kilkenny at 8.30 am and didn’t get to Drumcondra Rd, Dublin until 11.30am. Took us 30 mins to travel 5 kilometres in the outer suburbs of Dublin.

Apart from our stroll to and from Langton’s we saw very little of Kilkenny, which was disappointing. Whenever we do a driving holiday again we’ll ensure we stay at least two nights at the one location to give ourselves the opportunity to see that place rather than the “go to bed get up and drive routine”.

Should we ever be in Kilkenny again we would definitely stay at Rosquil House

Rosquil House is fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member theTMguy

My wife and I stayed at Rosquil House for two nights during the last week in October. It was fantastic! The rooms and common areas were impeccable and the breakfasts were so delicious we can't wait to go back. The bread made with white raisins soaked in Irish whiskey is to die for. The spinach and feta omelets were fabulous, too. If only we could have stayed longer!

Excellent accomodations and breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member ltcrkm

We had the pleasure of staying at the Rosquil House for three nights in November, 2007. It was a little difficult to find the first time, but easy after you had been there. The B&B is just over a year old and in excellent shape. It was built as a B&B and not converted to serve this purpose. The owners were very pleasant and helpful during our stay. The rooms were sufficiently large and the bathrooms were up to modern standards. The breakfast was the best we have ever had in a B&B. A large assortment of fruits, cereals, plus the full Irish breakfast. It was only a twenty minute walk to town, and there was a pub right next store if you were too lazy to walk back into town for dinner. We used Kilkenny as a base to see SE Ireland and would recommend the Rosquil House.

The only place to stay in Ireland

by TripAdvisor Member flashtobin

When I booked my trip to Ireland I wasn't sure of much, so I took a chance on booking a majority of my stay in a town called Kilkenny at the Rosquil House.

However, from the min I drove up to the house I knew I had made the right choice. I can't beleive how much at home I felt here. The owners of the house are amazing people that really care for each of their guests. From maps around the city to an award winning breakfast I felt like it couldn't get any better.

Then I saw my room.... luxurious and comfortable. I would go back to Ireland just to stay here.

Not only did I have an amazing time in one of the oldest towns in Ireland, but I made some friends that I'll be back to see sooner than later.....

If you don't stay here, You are crazy.

by TripAdvisor Member Sarahbean108

We were in Ireland for a few weeks. We stayed at many nice places compatible to our budget. However, none of them can even hold a candle to Rosquil House. Seriously, if you are traveling to Kilkenny, are looking for a good value, but still want to feel like you are staying in a luxurious place, you must book Rosquil House immediately.

I can not say enough positive things about our Rosquil House experience. Our room was classy and chic, spacious yet cozy, and had all of the amenities you could want...even a flat panel tv! The bathroom was fantastic and the shower was roomy...an important thing for extremely tall people like my husband. The house itself is new and absolutely gorgeous. We loved the design and the decor and thought that it was modern without being cold.

Rhoda may be one of the nicest people we have ever met. She was full of info and really went above and beyond, making our Kilkenny leg of the journey fantastic. The food was also excellent, and yes, the smoked salmon omlet was delicious.

Rosquil House is not in the heart of Kilkenny. However, we had absolutely no problem making the walk everyday into town. It took maybe 10 minutes and the walk is very enjoyable.

I cannot reiterate how impressed we were with this location. Rosquil House was the perfect place to stay for our budget, yet we felt that we got so much more than we payed for. I highly recommend this wonderful establishment.

Comments