Stradbally Hotels

• Mariajoy profile photo Mariajoy
  • Reviews: 1425

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Red campsite: More campsite accomodation

I meant to say... the different campsites are surrounded with strings of yellow, red and blue lightbulbs at night so you can find yours fairly easily... except those clever lighting people set it up with the kind of bulbs that, like cheap christmas tree lights, when one blows, the whole lot blow.. so not much use at 1am, when you are struggling back in the dark.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Festivals
  • Written September 7, 2006
Tip Photo

• Mariajoy profile photo Mariajoy
  • Reviews: 1425

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Red campsite: A colour coded choice of campsites

We picked our colour of campsite purely by the fact that the Red Campsite queue was the one that was moving fastest.

We couldn't understand why people were sitting and waiting for the Yellow campsite to open - but later realised that Yellow was nearer to the main arena- less walking to the gigs - it didn't make much difference in the end, we got our tents up before the rain started anyway and it rained most of the weekend .

We pitched our tents in this spot because it was fairly near the loos - quite useful at night we thought when you have no torch. Another pointless choice because the lights around the site never go off and the neighbours never go to sleep... it's a festival, why should they?? They are too busy getting drunk, singing, and generally enjoying the craic. I attempted a few hour sleep but there was always a throbbing base in the distance from the "all night disco" or people making their own music in a nearby tent - or throwing up or taking a leak just outside.

The area around the tents (and there isn't much - watch yourself on those guy-ropes!) quickly becomes a quagmire of mud, filth, debris, junk food and crap in the pouring rain - don't bother with the flowery festival flipflops - Bring black bin bags and wrap yourself from head to foot in them.

You won't be spending much time in your tent anyway so none of this really matters.

I will always wonder why there was a sheeps skull just outside the chemical loo - just laying in the mud at 6am on Sunday morning - just one of those surreal, bizarre and slightly macabre moments in life - one of those moments when I think... *Did I really see that?* Cos when I went back a couple of hours later it was gone. Strange.

• Opinion of Price: about average