Jessop Street, Portlaoise, Ireland

Booking.com Priceline.com Hotels.com

More about Portlaoise Heritage Hotel

Never again

by TripAdvisor Member cazey

Stayed here with a friend one Saturday night and really didn't feel it was in any shape or form a four star hotel. Below is the letter fo complaint I sent to which I received a pathetic response offering us a free upgrade next time.

Having stayed in your hotel on Saturday the 7th of October 2006, I would like to draw your attention to some elements that took from what should have been an enjoyable experience in a four star hotel.

Upon arrival, we checked in and went to our room, room 121.We had requested a smoking room, as both of us are smokers however, the smell of smoke from the room was overpowering. It was evident that the room had not been aired adequately and it was almost as people had been smoking in the room just prior to us entering. Obviously, we expect some smells of smoke but this was excessive. Although we didn’t notice straight away it was clear that the room had not been cleaned thoroughly as we found loose change under the locker, the complimentary shampoos etc had been used with a built up of soap scum on them, the directory of services only included a menu and details about the smoking ban but there was no information about leisure facilities, bar, reception, services or the usual information you expect to find especially in a four star establishment.

Our complimentary bedtime chocolates that were left on our pillows were gone off, we left them with reception on departure.

We were also unfortunate with choosing to dine in Molly’s bar. We were told that they would start serving at 5pm. We arrived at approximately 5.20pm and were told in a rather gruff manner to come back again later as they “weren’t ready for us”. Needless to say we choose to dine offsite after this treatment.

Upon check- out, we felt it necessary to advise management of our experience. We took time to sit and talk with Pavel, and explain our grievance to him. It is now 5 days later and having received no response, I had to follow up by calling the hotel today for a response. I am now awaiting a call back from Mark Gorman the Manager on duty. Surely, we deserved a prompt response after our experience

Having paid €180 for the room, I felt it was overpriced for the standard and service we received.

Heavenly Heritage!

by TripAdvisor Member Seanie1

Had a great stay here, was cheaper to book on-line than directly with the hotel. Only downside to stay was that I only got to stay one night! Hotel is located in centre of Portlaoise but off the main thoroughfares and streets so was relatively peaceful and quiet location. We arrived early and were told a room would be ready for us in 20 minutes without any hassle! Had a light breakfast in coffee dock just off main lobby area; service was excellent and coffee and pastries were wonderful. And our room was ready in 20 minutes! Room was spacious and very comfortable, only bad thing was view of railway station. Leisure centre was great with large swimmimg pool, jacuzzi, steamroom and sauna as well as gym. Had a superb meal in hotel retaurant. Menu was excellent, food was presented exquisitely, service was attentive but not intrusive and food was beautiful. We check out early and were first to arrive for breakfast just as it began, yet everything was available on the buffet...in many hotels early risers often don't get the complete breakfast range. Great experience and would definitely stay again!

Very Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member hmain1983

Stayed her the night of my Christmas party with all my work collegues. The dinner that was served for all the christmas parties was very nice...a lot better than what most hotels serve! The rooms were very clean and spacious and all the staff I encountered were very pleasant and helpful. Would definitely recommend staying here for any occasion.

Great stay.

by TripAdvisor Member Muffles6012

It was our second time to stay at the Heritage in Portlaoise (not to be confused with the Golf Hotel at Killenard). Really like this hotel. As a previous reviewer said you can get it a lot cheaper if you don't book directly with the hotel. The food in the main restaurant is mouth watering so try and get a deal that includes one meal. Breakfast is also of a high standard. The pool area is lovely. I only had 2 problems.. The heat of the room was unbearable and we had to ring reception a number of times to asked them to turn off the heat and also, the area.. not really much to do, so if you're only going to the heritage to chill, it's perfect!

Decent hotel, but ovepriced and the 4 star rating is questionable

by TripAdvisor Member susieg77

I stayed here for one night at a friend's wedding. It's pretty decent - clean, modern, but like most big conference hotels it lacks atmosphere and soul. We stayed on a special "wedding rate" of €160 for our room ( I have stayed in comparable 4* hotels around the country at wedding rates of about €120). According to our room door, the standard rack rate is €270 per night which is on par with 5* hotels like the Merrion Hotel or the Four Seasons. Not worth it!

The room was decent, and clean, but without a minibar, sofa, or balcony. The heat was unbearable, and although we turned off our radiator, this didn't seem to work, so we had to call reception and ask that the heat be turned off. The bathroom was clean with plenty of hot water and fresh toiletries. I found the staff to be pleasant and helpful.

All in all, an average but over-priced hotel.

Stay Away

by TripAdvisor Member Idrone

Stayed with my wife and four childern for one weekend night. First impressions of the hotel is the weird facade. This is built in such a style, with columns etc. that there should be an avenue leading to it. Instead it is plonked in among town buildings,up a laneway with no space to spare. as far as town planning is concerned this building seems a bit of a monstrosity.

We were checked in quickly and got our rooms which were ok but the cleaning staff are either untrained or did it in a hurry as it was not up to four star standard.

Knowing that we were only staying one night and that Portlaoise is not exactly a culinary mecca, we had phoned the previous evening to enquire as to dining in the hotel.The lady on the phone told us that that was no problem as we would be able to dine in their wonderful restraunt.When checking in we asked for a table to be told that they were booked out. We asked why it was not recommended that booking would be advisable when we spoke on the phone the previous day.No satisfactory answer was given.We asked to speak to the duty manager who was of no assistance.She smiled throughout the conversation but her smile did not reach her eyes and she was only going through the motions.

Our alternative was to book a table in the Italian place run in the hotel which we did.I think it is called Spagos.

I accompanied the childern to the indoor swimming pool.The dressing room was full,but this can happen.a bigger problem is that most of the contents of the pool seemed to be on the floor of the dressing room.The tiles on the floor do not allow for water run off and as a result you get changed in a swamp!

This pattern is repeated when you get out to the pool with makeshift mats for people to walk on. If you happen to stray off these narrow mats, which my young son did, you are back into a very slippy swamp.In all, the pool was a very unpleasent experience and one would have to imagine, an unhealthy one.

Early that evening we had a drink in Mollys bar. The pattern of of general neglect was repeated here with us having to clean over a table for ourselves.Being a smoker I went outside to the smoking area.The table there was full of empty bottles and glasses.The ashtrays were overflowing.

Later went to Spagos.The food was unremarkable, but that was to be expected.I have two abiding memories of Spagos. One was the fumes from the kitchen and the other the wonderful staff.Poor ventilation causes cooking fumes to waft into the dining area.This is bad enough to cause you to blink and wipe your eyes!

The staff in Spagos were exceptionally good.From manager to waitress they are to be complimented.Suggest some decent hotel recruit them as it would be a shame to see them remain on the titanic!

Childern went to their rooms and we went for a drink after the meal.Went for a smoke before going to bed and the same galsses ashtrays etc festooned the the two tables in the smoking area.This was four hours after first spotting them!

If you insist on going to this hotel do not get a room in the front.Was woken at 3am to shouts screams etc.The nightclub is directly( and I mean 20m !) from the front of the hotel. Everybody spilled out of the club under my bedroom window and it was impossible to sleep.

Without decent sleep I decided to go for a short walk at 6.30am. I passed reception and asked for the Sunday papers. The man on duty looked at me as if I was mad. I was told the earliest I could expect them was 8am.These papers are widely available in shops at 10 pm on saturday in dublin which is 50 miles away! This is not a four star hotel.

I have posted reviews on hotels previously and try to be as balanced and as fair as possible. With that in mind my advice is to avoid this hotel.

loved the splendour

by TripAdvisor Member postmanmac

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights hotel itself is beautiful clean and very central . Had food on the first night in mollys bar staff were very helpful and friendly couldnt do enough for us we were a party of 10 adults and 6 chilren food was lovely and very reasonably. Our secound night meal was included in our package & was in the Fitzmaurice restaurant found the set menu to be a bit limited but food was lovely. I would also recommend the Ealu Spa attached to this hotel booked the rejunevation package before we went (this is neccesary) never felt as good staff and treatment brill. the only downside to this hotel was the heating in the swimming pool and changing rooms we found this to be a bit on the chilly side but this wound not stop all of us going back

Fantastic Time

by TripAdvisor Member Shell31

Just back from a 2 night stay in the Heritage Hotel in Portlaoise and had a fantasitc time. Hotel is lovely and the staff are very helpful and friendly. Requested an upgrade when making the booking as it was a suprise birthday weekend and was allocated a suite which was a great suprise for my fiance.
Leisure centre and spa are really nice. Good choice of restaurants in the area. Breakfast quite nice. Overall would definitely go back!

4 star lobby 3 star room

by TripAdvisor Member netcare

This is a fine and impressive hotel to look at. The entrance is grand, the staff on the day I stayed were not that attentive i.e they continued chatting to each other while you waited at the desk. I gave them two letters to put in their post tray which were taken I felt reluctantly.
The room I stayed in was basic and bog standard. Nothing about this hotel was outstanding.

Avoid

by TripAdvisor Member severin

Stayed here for one night, a Saturday in August.
Here's what I found
1. Arrived at 3.30pm to check-in. Our room wasn't ready.
2. Room was really cheaply furnished, certainly not 4 star quality and was far too hot.
3. Ordered Irish breakfast to be delivered to room next morning. It was really bad, pretty much inedible.

I would avoid this place.

Comments