Adare, Adare, County Limerick, Ireland

Expedia.com LHW.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

Pamper yourself at Adare Manor

Do yourself a favor and cough up the bucks to stay here at least one night. I know many VT'ers pride themselves on traveling cheap and I'm a great admirer of the practice - but Lordy what a great experience.

After two weeks on the road and staying at a variety of B&Bs, our last night in Ireland was at the Adare Manor (11/2008). A real manor house set on a sprawling 840 acres that include the world class Adare Golf Course. It has been voted Ireland's leading hotel in the World Travel Awards. As soon as you pull up to front door you know you are in for a special treat. A doorman rushes out to open your door and ensure you are expected. You are then escorted into the entry hall which is huge and tastefully decorated with armor and tapestries. A brief discussion about dinner reservations and you are escorted to your room. After 2 weeks of B&Bs the rooms seemed huge. The bathroom alone was the size of most of the B&Bs we had been in.

We were given a ground floor room overlooking the river and golf course opposite. We ended not eating dinner in the dining room but opted for a pub in the village of Adare - weren't quite ready to go all in on the high life. But we did have lunch and breakfast there. Both were great meals.

The bar area is very nicley laid out in what was once the drawing living room with great service. An elegant yet intimate setting. It was here that I was introduced to Black Jameson Irish Whisky - which is not available in the US. My cousin and her husband drove down from Limerick to join us for drinks.

The golf course was laid out by Robert Trent Jones Sr. and has been the site of the Irish open several times in the past few years. The greens fees are not for the faint of heart.

A great experience and we are sure to return!

Update - we did return (11/2009) and it was a good as we remembered! And the rooms are huge - even if you haven't been doing B&B's for two weeks as we had on our previous visit.

Found a cheaper way of staying here also. If you are using one of those package fly/drive/b&b deals that are so cheap and popular these days (we sure like them) you can upgrade one of your B&B coupons to a night at Adare for 100 euros.

Unique Quality: The accomodations are outstanding but be sure to leave time to stroll the grounds. And bring your swim suit - the indoor pool is large, warm, and overlooks the river.....

And the golf course is as good as it looks. The finest (and hardest) I've played in Ireland (not that I've played that many). A links 18-hole, I've heard it is a favorite of Tiger Woods to stay sharp between tournements. The ruins of an abby are right in the middle of the course and the river is very scenic.

Directions: Just on the outskirts of the village Adare as you aproach from Limerick. About 1 hour from Shannon Airport

More about Adare Manor Hotel And Golf Club

Adare, The Fransiscan Friary

by Joenes

This monastery is amazingly enough surrounded by The Adare Manor Golf Club.:-)
It is well taken care off and still used once a year for a methodist service!
Just walk on to the greens and take a look.......:-))))

Adare village

by orlikins

Everyone who visits Limerick ends up in Adare sooner or later, it's a Guidebook "must-see". Personally I think it's a "hey, let's rip off loads of American tourists" kind of place, not quite on the scale of Killarney, but you get the idea. Lots of shops selling Aran jumpers, Guinness-branded baseball caps etc.

Adare is undoubtedly pretty, but I do think it has been spoilt by tourism.

You can visit the grounds of Adare manor and play golf there. Most of the pubs along the main st have live traditional irish music at night.

Adare

by Pieter11

The village of Adare is often called "the most beautiful village of Ireland". In my few days in the country I haven't seen enough to give my opinion about this though, but it definitely was the most beautiful one I've seen. Adare is situated in the County Limerick at about 20 kilometers southwest of the city Limerick.

Adare is famous for its Adare Manor, a 19th century manor that is used as a luxurious hotel nowadays, right in the middle of a golfcourse. But of course the village is even better known for its beautiful cottages that border the mainstreet through the centre.

These cottages look typically English with thatched roofs, perfectly maintained gardens, and colourfully painted walls, doors and windows. And besides this, Adare also has a nice old church, a park and a lot of small shops, restaurants and pubs in which you can try the local specialities.

Want more information about this village? Check out my Adare-page.

A real "castle" feel to this marvelous old manor.

by TripAdvisor Member Katyusha

I staid in the 5 star Adare Manor Hotel on the night of a wedding I was attending at the hotel.

The building is a proper manor house, wuth lots of "medieval" style features including a minstrels' gallery (I think?), narrow intimate little corridors, slightly funky old rooms, a charming library where you can have breakfast, and beautiful grounds. The gift shop is discreet, but it is a reminder that the core clientel here are tourists, a gentle bump-landing back to reality! Just when I was secretly expecting a variety of batty aristocrats to be lurking around each corner!

The staff were all superb, exceptionally attentive without ever being annoying.

The bedroom was fine - a huge & exceptionally comfortable bed, tv, phone, simple enough old fashioned furniture & decor. It was very quiet, I don't know if the rooms beside us were vacant, I don't think so, but there was no noise to be heard at all other than the river flowing outside our window.
The bathroom was very large, & clean, but old fashioned and lacking decent lighting/ countertop; makeup application was slightly tricky!
Bottled water, chocolates, bathrobe & slippers appeared at some point after we had checked into the room, and were a nice touch.

Our wedding meal was unexceptional except for the desert (my area of expertise both in creating & consuming!); this was absolutely wonderful.
The breakfast the following morning was out of this world; averything you could wish for was available by self-service, and all of the very best quality. The hot food was cooked to perfection. The coffee was probably the best I have ever had in a hotel - extremely good, and served in proper silver coffee pots. This was topped up regularly by the many wait-staff. There was no rush to get us out of the breakfast room (this may have been because of the wedding party) and we lingered a while over the superb coffee.

There was a wonderful (if slightly eccentric???) doorman in a tophat, who was charming & very helpful.

We then used the Spa (separate modern building on the grounds) for some pampering. This was fine, but had no sense of the luxury you might anticipate.

Overall, I heartily recommend the Adare Manor, and I fully intend treating myself to another visit.

True Irish Hospitality

We stayed at Adare Manor and we had a truly wonderful experience. The staff and service were truly first class and we were made to feel like we were right at home with such a warm welcome. The Manor itself is breath taking but it is the staff that truly make the experience. The resort is on over 800 acres so there was lots to do and see. The fishing was a great experience and my wife loved the Spa which was in a little cottage.The food was great and there was plenty of options, but do not miss the afternoon tea as it is a real treat. We look forward to returning, to our new favourite getaway.

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member ginan

only good things to say
we got married in Adare Manor last October and it was faultless
food, service...everything
can't wait to go back for our anniversary!

5 Stars? Maybe out of 10

We spent 10 days in Ireland, with the last two nights at the Adare. As you can tell by all the other reviews the outside & grounds of the resort are suitably impressive. Unfortunately, virtually everything else is substantially less impressive. While they did take my bags, I had to find someone to do it, no one anywhere near the door. I had reserved one of the staterooms for our Anniversary; they had the wrong room and “knew nothing" of our Anniversary. When I asked to speak with the reservation manager, she sent out a message that she did not recall the reservation request; I pulled out numerous emails from her. Her memory improved but our room did not. The clubhouse restaurant and the golf course are nice (should be for $300-400+$100 for a box of balls) but don’t work up a sweat because there is not enough water pressure in your shower to wash it off. The pool has tile falling off and was missing drain covers. I agree with the management assessment from a couple of posts prior to this, no experience and not a clue, they only can supply lip service. The VP/GM actually followed me out to the lot after checkout apologizing with excuses. I told him it was a little late………
Save your money and go somewhere else or spend more and go to Dromo.

Adare Manor Hotel

by globetrott

This is one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever seen. It is situated in a large park and has guards who make sure, tourists will not enter their park - So I came there early in the morning to take these pics.

There is a small river running through their park...

and they even have their own Golf Course beautifully situated around an old friary.

The Adare Manor HotelThe Adare Manor Hotel

Adare Manor HotelAdare Manor Hotel

Please help

by teracino

My husband & I are planning a trip to Limerick (I was told it was the best place to stay when flying into Shannon Airport). We only have 3 days with no car, & need to find bus or train tours, to see the sights. I was told to go to Adare, but have no idea how to get there. I was also told that Ennis is a nice place to visit the sights, along with Bunratty castle. Also, Galway was mentioned. Anyone have any ideas as to how to spend 3 days when one is not driving? I'm also wondering how much is there to do in Limerick itself? We are thinking of staying at the Clarion, for the walking distance.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Please help

by orlikins

There is loads to do in Limerick, you'll cover everything in three days. See my Limerick page for more info.

You can get to Adare, Galway or Ennis by bus from Limerick bus station in Parnell St, so don't panic. I'd skip Bunratty, it is a total tourist trap, awful.

Adare is basically a picturesque village on the River Maigue, with good restaurants and the Adare Manor house - you can go around the grounds. It's only 10 miles away from Limerick.

Comments