Patrick Punches Hotel

Punch's Cross, Limerick, County Limerick, Ireland

Satisfaction Terrible

Good For No Data
  • Not what we expected!

We booked this hotel after searching online. There were many hotels which offered a good deal. However the hotels website listed the leisure centre as a complimentary facility.

There was no mention of it being closed until we had paid and saw that it was closed only after we had booked - it was not mentioned on the website and just on the confirmation email we received after booking.

We tried not to be disheartened but we were very dissapointed as we only booked this hotel for the pool.

I have been to the city many times and I would recommend staying in a hotel nearer the city centre and much nicer!!!

Our room was large but very plain, clean enough, although there was a small of cigarettes.

Staff were friendly enough.

I would not recommend this hotel - too far away and lacked the facilities it listed.
    Also breakfast was poor for what we paid.

• Brijb20's Profile Photo

Excellent Hotel, bit of a walk

We were very pleasantly surprised by this hotel. The reception was smart and the staff friendly. There is an underground secure free parking garage from which you can walk directly into the reception.
    We were astonished by the size of the room but looking at the fire plan on the wall we luckily had the largest room on our floor. It was a corner room overlooking the inner courtyard. Room 205. Straight away we noticed we were right next to the lift, (it was right behind our heads in bed actually), and we thought oh! no! but we needn't have worried as we didn't hear it at all in our 4 night stay.
    We enjoy a walk so it didn't bother us but I would guess it is a 25 minute or so walk to the centre of Limerick. I'm sure this would put some off but we didn't mind. It was a nice walk along a pleasant road. With a few pubs on the way.
    We paid 294 Euros for our 4 night stay with Tuesday and Wednesday being 59 Euros Thursday 99 Euros, (didn't understand that one), and Friday 79 Euros.
    Don't worry about the sloping ceilings, I'm tall and they didn't bother me at all.

Unique Quality: The hotel has it's own swimming pool and health club to which you are members for the duration of your stay. Quite a good sized pool too.
    There is a large Pub and restaurant on the front of the hotel, (I'm fairly sure the hotel was added to the back of the original pub). Didn't eat there but the Pub was very comfortable and modern with TV screens and a small "Locals" bar on the front corner. Beer is expensive in Ireland, 4 to 5 Euros a pint for Guinness but the bar at Punches was the least expensive we found on our whole trip, (including about 15-20 pubs). A very refreshing change.

Directions: O'Connor Avenue is an extension of O'Conner Street .From the airport follow signs for Cork. Cross the bridge, turn right onto Dock road. Turn left after the second petrol station, (TOPAZ), straight over 2 mini roundabouts and the hotel is on the right.

More about Patrick Punches Hotel

Great Time Was Had

by TripAdvisor Member ThePaddy

We have just come back from a few days stay at the Patrick Punchs Hotel and it was terrific. Lovely hotel (if not a little bit complicated to get around), very friendly staff, in particular the Manager Ken Dunne. We found him extremely helpful. Great gym and pool facilities. However, the most enjoyable part of our stay was the magnificent food. We had breakfast and dinner in the restaurant for the 3 days we were there and it was outstanding. We go to a lot of hotels around Ireland this food would be up there with some of the best. Absolutely no complaints. Our compliments to the chefs!

A Pleasant Stay

by TripAdvisor Member happybunnycork

I stayed here with my boyfriend on a fantastic offer, where we got our room, dinner and breakfast for €99. I had read good reviews so i expected the hotel to be higher than average. On arrival (I was 20 minutes early), I was greeted by a receptionist, who, although tried to offer my second key card to a stranger who happened to be standing beside me at the counter, was very friendly indeed! I was slightly put out that a full course breakfast was not available for room service but was pleased with the room. As previous reviewers have commented, i found nothing wrong with the curtains and the pillows were very fluffly and soft. I did however notice that the room had been prepared in a slight hurry. The towls where not folded properly and the bed was hastily made.
When my boyfriend arrived, we decided to check out the leisure fascilities. We were informed that it closed at 8pm, which i thought was maybe a little early. The pool was lovely (a bit shallow) and the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna were also very nice. We were even offered towls at the front desk! Another reviewer had mentioned bringing a swimming hat...so thanks for that, we didnt have to purchase them!
Dinner was the only disapointment! We decided to order starters at an extra cost which were quite nice, however the main course was marginally bigger than the starter. I had the sea bass and he had lamb. He was unable to eat his dish properly from lack of a cutting knife. The service was a bit sporadic and we had to wait ages for our drinks. We agreed that if the main courses had not been included in the overall price then we would have been very dissapointed.
The next day we went for breakfast...which was huge! Cerial, fruit, yoghurts, croissants and pastries/toast and lots of different juice! After this, we still had room for the full irish but after going to the buffet to get this, we returned to our table only to find all our food had been swept away, including our coffee and tea. Also another family were already sitting in our places. We didnt mind too much and moved to another table, but it took a lot of time to grab the attention of the waiter, in order to get more tea and coffee!
Later in the morning, we were packing for checkout at 12pm, when on the dot there was a knock at the door from someone who wanted us to vacate the room. We asked for a few more minutes which were granted but I still felt a bit rushed!
When we checked out the resceptionists were again so friendly and pleasant (definitly my favorate of all the staff at the hotel along with the guys in the leisure centre). We asked if we could go for another swim, of which they enthusiasticly encouraged us to do so!
All in all, we had a pleasant stay and for the offer we got we felt like we had got very good value for our money. Also the art work and decor were very crisp and modern...the kind of which you would not really find in most average hotels!

Looks good, experience so-so

by TripAdvisor Member Lemonstar

Another business trip, another hotel. I see enough hotels in my travels and this one took on the character of a newly refurbished or built one. You can always tell the new ones, and all will date badly in the next few years. (Glass bricks in hotels and houses from the early 90's which seemed so mod at the time puts one in mind of toilets now.) Colour scheme is glass and exposed steel with a bit of dark wood off-set with a toning shade of red or mustard or rust., set against white sheets or walls. This hotel was mustard in the rooms with the cute throw pillows that everyone dribbles on and must be a health hazard as they don't get cleaned that often..
Cutting to the chase, the staff were very polite, booked a chinese for us across the road, recommended, called the Peony something. The food in the restaurant for dinner was passable but nothing wonderful, does a bit af a Thai selection. My colleague sent his entree back, chicken satays, as it was dry and tasteless. The excuse was that it had been left sitting for a while, it was only 7pm.
The airconditioner in the bathroom went constantly and sounded like the wind blowing through far off hills. It felt like a re-creation of Wuthering Heights with Cathy knocking at the window to get into Heatchliffe's bedroom, additional atmosphere provided by the graveyard view from the room.Once the bathroom door was shut it drowned out the noise.
Worst point was the bedsheets. I see a previous writer had the same problem. There was a long brown stain on the sheets mid way down the bed. I noticed it the following morning, sadly not the night before when I turned the duvet down. Completely freaked me out, I took little comfort in noticing that it was an old washed stain and not an unwashed sheet.
Had a tour of the gym and pool, did not use but staff helpful.
Breakfast and lunch there was pretty standard, potatoes at lunchtime were definitely Smash, instant potatoes, somewhat ironic for Ireland.
Good points, broadband free and uninterrupted the whole stay in the rooms and carpark underneath with direct access to the reception and rooms great in the wind and rain that was my constant companion during my stay.

A Good Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SJB_and_LCB

My wife and I stayed here for one night in late May 2007. It appears fairly new (or recently refurbished), and has quite a nice lobby and clean and comfortable rooms. The hotel has an “interesting” design, and the rooms, facilities and services met our expectations for a hotel of this rating and price. Although located abit outside of the city centre, it is well within walking distance through a fairly pleasant area. There are a number of services and facilities nearby (including a very good Chinese restaurant across the street), and the adjacent “Patrick Punches” Pub is really great. In general, a good place and good value overall, and we would certainly consider staying there again if in Limerick.

Nice hotel, not a great experience

by TripAdvisor Member markpb

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here for one night this weekend. It's a lovely hotel but our experience was less than great.

We got there after 2pm but were told our room (we requested a room at the back based on another review on this site) wasn't available and to come back in an hour. When we got into our room there was a bag of rubbish sitting on the counter and our double bed was actually two single beds pushed together which isn't great and wasn't comfortable. There was also an incline in the wall beside the window. Tall people would have an interesting time walking around the bed!

There were some minor problems in the bathroom such a small cracks in some of the bathroom tiles and a blown lightbulb above the sink.

Our booking included a special offer of dinner but when we went to the restaurant, no mention was made of it. We asked the waitress if any limitations applied and she told us it was main course only, no starter or desert. Upon paying out bill, we were charged extra because some of the main course aren't included in the special offers.

The hotel is lovely and I suspect we were just unlucky but it's a poor set of co-incidences for one stay.

Good but not great

by TripAdvisor Member jonathanhealy

This is a fairly new hotel, completed in Summer 2006, located on the more attractive south side of Limerick City, about a 15-minute walk to O'Connell St. This could be a great hotel, but as it currently stands it's just a good one. It's stylish, minimalist, well-appointed, well-located, it has a nice leisure centre and the service was good... but it was let down by some niggling issues which I raised with the staff on departure as I would genuinely like to see this hotel improve to become a quality 4-star. First issue, the hotel foyer, whilst a stylish, minimalist design concept, is cold, bare and unwelcoming. It needs a few rugs or warm furnishings to soften its appearance. Second, the quality of the finish to the hotel and some of the furnishings leaves a lot to be desired. The artwork on the walls is warping from the heat and spotlights. The floorboards creak really loudly (amazing for a brand-new hotel). Third, the lift was in an apalling condition. It was dirty and very basic (the stairs were fine). Fourth, there was no safe or iron in the room (very unusual omission for a 4-star). Finally, the bathroom was too small and the bathroom door had the annoying habit of swinging back against anyone inside the bathroom unless it was closed shut. Most of these points are very fixable and could elevate the hotel to become a really outstanding place to stay. We didn't eat in the restaurant - it seemed over-priced, although it was tastefully decorated. The bar was quite large and attractive, except for the plasma-screen TVs everywhere (why has this become so de rigour in even posh hotels? - are bars not supposed to be placed to have a conversation rather than watch Sky Sports??). The tariff was reasonable considering the room was very stylish and the overall experience, including reception service, was good.

Very Impressed

by TripAdvisor Member insuralife

Check in was not done as expected by Expedia.....
The hotel staff... Amanda, did not let that interfere. She had us in our room (after 12 hrs of flight time), within 15 minutes!
Outstanding staff. Great accomodations. Quite frankly, considerably more than I would have expected by the hotel description... Also, you can join the staff for a sponge-ball socccer game! Amanda is this ship's captian!

Not a 4*

by TripAdvisor Member mcgrate

Stayed at Patrick Punchs last week for a weekend. Overall impression is that its not a 4* and lacks the facilities and luxury you'd expect for 4*. Fortunately, the price was not 4* either and if you get a good deal, i.e. 99euro or less, then its good.

The hotel's website is really bad with no mention of a restaurant or directions.
I agree with previous review that you'd expect an iron, maybe bathrobe, water etc in the room for 4*. Instead we got two beds zipped together to make one double, slanted roof with velux windows which I constantly banged my head on trying to get to the other side of the bed. The bathrooms use shower curtains which is a pet hate of mine.
I thought the bar was a let down. It smelled like cabbage and didnt have much atmosphere.
On the plus side, the lesiure centre & restaurant are great. The walk into city centre is lovely and less that 15 mins walk.

What a fantastic hotel Patrick Punchs is

by TripAdvisor Member chippychatsworth

Me and my boyfreind stayed in this hotel from 11th June for 2 days. We didn't know what to expect, as we'd read a mixed review from others who had stayed here. When we arrived, we were stunned. It was so plush, (and bigger than I expected) and the staff were so friendly. We were given our room straight away. It was quite big, with plasma screen, tea ,coffee facilities, bath and shower (they prvide towels and flannels). The city centre is only a 20 mins walk away in one direction, and there's a shopping centre 15 mins in the other direction.

Our stay was 98 euro's per room for 2 nights. We didn't book the breakfast with our hotel booking (10 euro's each) as we thought there might be cafe's near by. There wasn't, so we got the breakfast at the hotel. We assumed it would still be 10 euro's, but it wasn't until we settled our bill on checking out that we were told the breakfast was 13 euro's each because we didn't include them in our inital booking. If you are going to have the breakfast I urge you to book it in advance as it is well woth it. Buffet style, choice of cereals, tea, coffee, friut, yogurt, full Irish, and you can go back and get some more. Enough about the food

There is a swimming pool, steam room, sauna, jaccuzzi, and gym, all free to use. You need to wear a swimming hat, but don't worry if you don't have one, they sell them for 2 euro's. There are lots of great shops in the city cenre, and restaurants, pubs etc...

The staff can't do enough for you. Our electricity went off while we were out, but a quick phone call to reception and a maintenance guy was there within 10 mins and sorted the problem.
We had a really great stay here, and will definately be coming back.

Comments