Scotch Hall, Drogheda, County Louth, 0, Ireland

Costs 344% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about The d Hotel

D Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Vooddoo

we stayed at the D hotel on the 25th Feb. The hotel has a really impressive design, its ultra modern and for Drogheda, totally luxurious. Bad points were that rooms weren't ready at 2.00pm for check in. Hotel advertises a 24hr bar but when after a night out we tried to get a nightcap, were told to order room service ( with a €5 tray charge.) Also the hotel website offered a €89 per night advance rate, but advises if you have more than 5 rooms to bok to call for a further dicounted rate. We booked 6 rooms and when called told the rate was €110 per night. Still all considered its as cheap as chips for what is quite impressive hotel.

A five star hotel masquerading as a 4 star.

by TripAdvisor Member Cultural-Weekenders

Thought the D hotel was fabulous. A five star hotel masquerading as a 4 star. Great rooms, VERY clean. Staff were great, friendly and helpful. Food was excellent, and the Children were actually offered a children’s menu that did not just contain chicken nuggets and sausages. Our kids really enjoyed their mini cod fillets with mash and fresh vegetables. The adult food was very good as well. The D is superbly located, just across the river from Drogheda town and beside a shopping centre. An ideal base to visit Newgrange, Drogheda and the beach is 10 minutes away.

Best thing in Drogheda

by TripAdvisor Member IrishReviewers

I'm a regular guest at this hotel since it opened last year and I have to say it and the sdhopping centre next door are the best things in Drogheda. The food is top class a lot better than most four star hotels across ireland no luke warm carvery here. The staff although alot are non nationals are all extremely plesant and accommdating and seem to be very well managed.
Would have no hesittaion in recommendaing the hotel to others.

Class Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Sweeney-Todd

Stayed here in November for weekend break in November. Hotel is very impressive with a lovely open plan reception and restaurant area. The room was very modern in design with a hugh bed and an impressive view of the river which runs outside the hotel. We especially liked that fact that the staff dished out complementary snacks to everyone in the bar area on the friday evening as we were enjoying a relaxing beverage after checking in. The food in the Restaurant was good but not exceptional. Great shopping with a brand new shoppjng centre literally next door. Would recommend this hotel to anyone ++++

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member BB-HD

This hotel was excellent...staff was very friendly and helpful with transporation issues, the breakfast was great, and the rooms were very clean and contemporary. Perfect hotel outside of Dublin.

a bit disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member missjoyo

When we arrived at the D we were really looking forward to it, especially having read the reviews on Trip Advisor.

On check-in we were given no information about the hotel (eating, check out times etc) and the receptionist seemed somewhat disinterested. It took quite some effort to get the right room (twin not double) and the staff had to come and separate the beds out while we waited (though we were offered a drink).

The room was dusty and there was make-up residue in the bathroom, though when we asked it did get thoroughly cleaned. My friend found the bed gave her backache, also the wooden bases were a nuisance as they stuck out and we knocked ourselves more than once getting up.

The bar/sitting area was nice, there were free nibbles and live music, but as we hadn't been told of the details we missed most of it. The service at breakfast was better and the food nice. We didn't eat in the restaurant at dinner so cannot comment on this.

On the second day the reception staff were more responsive and friendly.

Overall we were expecting much better and felt that the D scraped the 4 stars it possesses.

Perfect Location

by TripAdvisor Member kph

My wife and I, along with my parents, stayed at the 'd' in October 2006 and were very much impressed. It was a little difficult to find at first, but once you understand your way around the adjacent shopping mall, it was very easy and central. The 'd' is really what I expect we will soon be seen much more often throughout Ireland, given the low average age of its population. This hotel would very much cater to a younger crowd with a thick wallet. My parents, being in their late sixties, I figured would not have liked, but the modern facilities, comfortable common areas and location, to them, were a change from the standard five star frumpy frills and patterns located at most high-end hotels. The food, here, was excellent, however, the service is a little bit to be desired. Not to worry Elaine, the Manageress, is right on that. The issue isn't exactly poor service but poor language skills. So many people in the Irish hospitality industry today are from abroad and just learning English. My dad was born and raised not too far from Drogheda and said the place will be awesome once everyone is trained! It is within such easy walking distance to everything in Drogheda and has the feel of living on a boat or ship, as the outside patio feels more like a deck on a ship. I highly recommend this hotel and expect that if, we ever return to Drogheda, this will be the only place that we stay. A couple of constructive criticisms... the hotel does in the room areas have a bit of a college residence feel and the rooms themselves, although comfortable are very minimalist to the extent of feeling a little cold. Otherwise, Enjoy!

Had a Lovely weekend

by TripAdvisor Member islaforster

We spent a weekend break in the hotel (offer included 1 evening meal and €40 vouchers for the adjoining shopping centre) and we had a wonderful time. The room was lovely, very comfortable and had all the things you like to find - toiletries, hairdryer. We had a meal in the restaurant on one night - it was really good, and good service too. Breakfast on both days of our stay was more or less self service but plentiful. Staff on the front desk were very helpful and courteous. We even had some entertainment on Saturday night from a Frank Sinatra style singer which we enjoyed from a heated table outside along the river bank. All in all, very enjoyable.

Really enjoyed the d

by TripAdvisor Member jjnottingham

This hotel is magnificent.My welcome to the hotel turned my day around,I was having a really bad day,My flight was delayed on the way to Ireland and I was travelling all day. By the time I reached the hotel I was in bad humour and really tired. When I reached the hotel I was greeted by a male receptionist,during my check-in the receptionist obviously noticing I was not in good humour asked if I was ok,which was a really nice touch and gave me the feeling the hotel really cared for its guests.After speaking to the receptionist and telling him how to my day went,he kindly offered to take my bags to the room so I could go and get something to eat.The food in the restaurant is absolutely delightful and it has a very warm feel to it.The rooms are beautiful and have a lovely view over the river boyne and Drogheda town.I stay in hotels alot with my job and would highly recommend the d for business or pleasure.Top marks to the staff and management.

Wonderful experience.

by TripAdvisor Member patreflex

Very modern, bright, open plan hotel. We travelled with a 22 month old child. The cot was in our room, ready made up. We were upgraded to a superior room, because of needing more space for the child. From the first moment to the last, our experience was super. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Comments