Achill Island Hotels

Our Members Say

• JimmytheRabbitMurphy profile photo JimmytheRabbitMurphy
  • Reviews: 1

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Aquila Cottage: Aquila Cottage Rocks!

I have been a frequent visitor to Achill for 10 years now and for the last 5 I have always stayed in Aquila.
Hopefully I will do so many more times in the future.

Aquila is a lovely little cottage with an absolutely fantastic view of the ocean.
Catherine and Pat are greats hosts and show visitors what real Irish hospitality is all about.
After so many trips I consider these guys close friends and I hope the feeling to be mutual.

They have all the usual mod cons, washing machine, dish washer, TV and provide all cooking utensils etc so you can save some money on not eating out occasionally.
What I think is neat is the little touches like how they always have a pint of milk in the fridge and a loaf of bread waiting for me when I arrive. That might not sound like a big deal but after a long flight and a couple of hour drive its nice to have a cuppa without having to hit the stores.

Pat will show you where to get a bucket of peat so you can have an open fire going in the evening, how cool is thatļ

The cottage is small, it only sleeps 2-4 people but for me and my wife this is perfect and adds to the charm.

There are a couple of nice pubs within a 30 min walk from the cottage but you probably need to drive to get to some of the better restaurants.

Amazing view and lovely people!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beaches, Photography
  • Written July 6, 2010

• annetteom profile photo annetteom
  • Reviews: 1

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Self catering cottage: Aquila Cottage - Give it a miss...

It's a small cottage close to Achill Sound. It has one bedroom, a basic bathroom with mixer tap shower and a kitchen/sitting/dining room.

The owner Kay, was friendly but quite cool. Her husband said that we could use turf they had stored for a fire, but we had our own from a family property further in the island.

The kitchen dishes and utensils were all very old and cheap. They really needed replacing - I hesitated to use a grater that was blackened with age.

There is a note insisting the property be left clean and tidy on departure and there were some cleaning products left under the sink.

There is a lovely view from the front window of what I think may be Achill Sound.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, Skiing and Boarding, Windsurfing
  • Written August 14, 2009

• daelight profile photo daelight
  • Reviews: 31

The Valley Holiday Hostel: In a league of its own

Off the beaten track is one way to describe this place. Run by a family with a cosy bar attached this is a great place to stay. It's a big old house in need of a little restoring you could say but thats part of the charm. So bring plenty warm clothes and wellington boots for the bog / pitch and putt course....

The turf fires in the large front room and bar are very welcome when it's a 2 day rain 'shower' I'm tellin ya ;) You can camp here too (in the summer days I'd recommend) The facilities are basic and you use a token to operate the showers! It's a tad on the chilly side and that was in October so stay close to the fire and read a good book with a warm 'hot toddie' (hot whisky with cloves) and relax ....

• Written November 25, 2006

The Old House

• ladyanne profile photo ladyanne
  • Reviews: 192

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Wild Haven Youth Hostel: Wonderful Old World Charm...Achill Island.

I can't express enough how wonderful the Wild Haven Youth Hostel was when we found ourselves on Achill Island, and could not find a place to stay, such as a Bed and Breakfast. The host was great, even though we were not prepared to stay in a Hostel, he provided us with blankets and pillows, and a bunk room by ourself.

Friendliness, great kitchen and dining area, lounge with turf fire. Old World charm.

• Related to: Mountain Climbing, Budget Travel, Cycling
  • Written July 4, 2005

• sarahjayn profile photo sarahjayn
  • Reviews: 189

The Richview: The Richview: no view, but nice people

One of the best things about this place is that you're not going to find a Best Western on Achill, Island. The travel accommodations are pretty much limited to some hostels, the beautiful Achill Head Hotel, the historic Wavecrest Hotel, and the B&B's. I chose to stay at the Rich View hostel because it was cheapest, but after I poked around, I really found it to be the nicest place to stay. The people who own the Rich View are saints. I stayed there for an entire month, and they didn't ask for any payment until the end. They have a genuine interest in helping visitors learn about Irish history and culture, and the patriarch of the family plays in a really good Irish band at a local pub. I stayed in a single room (the only one they have), but a lot of dormitories are available. The bathrooms are communal, but incredibly clean. Same goes for the kitchen.
The Rich View is down the street from Achill Pottery, and not too far from the Achill Head Hotel. Also nearby are a church (Catholic, duh), a doctor, and a general store.

• Written February 12, 2005

Ah, Keel!

• RhineRoll profile photo RhineRoll
  • Reviews: 434

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Glendarrary Holiday Cottage: Good Self Catering Accommodation

Achill Island offers a pretty good selection of both bed & breakfast and self catering accommodation with new properties being built all the time. We rented a cottage through Glendarrary and overall were very satisified. Glendarrary rents out its own cottages being situated in Achill Sound and also runs a renting agency business for other properties around the island. Our cottage was situated next to Keel Lough, about 1 mile east of Keel Village. It was spacious, tastefully furnished and fully wheelchair accessible. The only setback was the kitchenware which was not up to the standard of the rest of the house.

We payed 650 Euros for 1 week in July. Comparing it to cottages in Denmark for the same period, it seemed quite good value for money.

Cottage "The Links No 12". 3 Bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, one bathroom with full disabled access.

• Opinion of Price: about average