Foxford Road, Ballina, ie

Mount Falcon Estate
Travelocity Splendia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Now that's what I call a country house hotel

Upmarket, yet friendly and welcoming. Now that is a difficult feat to pull off, but I can honestly say that this is just about the best hotel I have encountered in Ireland.

Located on the road from Ballina to Foxford, the country house has been re-furbished and restored with some guile. I especially liked the fact that the basic floorplan of the house was retained and that more modern additions were well hidden, discreet and not overbearing. All to often the title 'country house' is no more than marketing speak. You pull up at a nice country pile, but your actual bedroom is miles away down some corridor that is just as faceless and uninteresting as any global branded chain. Thankfully that particular pitfall has been avoided here.

Inside the public rooms are clearly of the 'country house' look, but there appears to be no fakery here. Modern replacements are just that and no more. I especially liked the tiled entrance hall with the wooden starircase at the rear leading to the various suited rooms. The honeymoon suite was especially impressive, as it should be. Indeed it was for the wedding of my sister in law that we stayed here.

Unique Quality: I was impressed by the flexibility of the staff who made every effort to make the whole wedding a great success. It helps that the hotel is small enouth that the whole place can the rented out en-masse for such an event. I though that the outdoor b-b-q that they put on in the afternoon following the wedding was especially well done. They were also more than happy to put up with the happy couples 'sports day'. Tug of war, welly wanging and three legged races may not be common at wedding, but then again you probably havn't met my family !

More about Mount Falcon Country House Hotel

Amazing

by TripAdvisor Member NEWYORK-LOVE-IT

Staying in mount falcon, is a experience i will not forget, the staff was brilliant, the food was beautiful and the room was clean and beautiful, we visited the hotel for a girls weekend, we couldn't have asked for a better service, we used the hotel spa i got a facial it was brilliant and we used the leisure facilities, as this hotel is only rated a 4 star, i would give it a 5 star, i will go back to mount falcon again. What you see in the pictures is what you get!

brilliant weekend

by TripAdvisor Member waxiebabe

Just had the most fantastic weekend staying in the beautiful mount falcon hotel. The staff and management were absolutely first rate, so friendly and accommodating, nothing was too much trouble for them!! The food was superb and delicious. we definately felt like princesses in the castle. We stayed in one the superior suites. oh my god what luxury!!! Well worth the long travel from Belfast. Keep up the good work team, we will definately be back!!

5 star weekend

by TripAdvisor Member NervousFergus

we spent the October bank holiday weekend in Mount Falcon celebrating our wedding with family and friends. We had the most amazing weekend and could not fault any aspect of the experience - the staff, accomodation, food (both at the wedding and in the bar and restaurant before and after), facilities and atmosphere were exceptional. Nothing was a problem. The bar food is nice and light, the restaurant excellent. The rooms in the old part of the house are huge, especially the two main suites. All of the guests were amazed and wanted to book weekend breaks there later on. We could not find fault with anything - an unforgettable place, with wonderfully attentive staff

Fairytale Wedding Weekend

by TripAdvisor Member roslynpines

Mount Falcon was host to a wonderful wedding weekend. Every detail ran smoothly. Half of our guests were from America the rest from Ireland and Europe. Everyone was equally impressed with the level of service. Mt. Falcon is luxury for the way we live today. Never stuffy, always welcoming.
Most guests stayed from Thursday through Sunday. The perfect reception was Saturday night.
There are subtle differences between an Irish and an American wedding but we never heard the word no, only how would you like us to do it.
The grounds are magnificent. The rooms are even better. The wonderful staff under the direction of the owners are professional and warm.
Can't wait to return, again & again.

Wonderful Mid Week break ... but

by TripAdvisor Member kac123

Had a wonderful mid week break from Wednesday to Friday at Mount Falcon. Hotel and grounds are beautiful, rooms (we stayed in a Superior) are huge, staff all exceedingly friendly, breakfasts were to die for, and dinner was exceptional, Pool/steam room and jacuzzi all spotless.

Only let down ... we booked online for for the mid-week package but on check-out they had automatically added 10% 'Package' Service Charge to the TOTAL bill! Only when we queried this, did they inform us this was entirely optional. We had been tipping the staff over the few days we were there, so felt this was completely unnecessary - so just be aware!

All in all though, a wonderful romantic stay.

Love the Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Donholly

Myself and my partner stayed in Mount Falcon hotel for a weekend before Christmas. The drive up to the hotel is enchanting. When we got inside the hotel the decor was amazing. The entrance area had a Christmas tree welcoming us then another huge tree was put up in the lobby. It was fabulous and so festive! Check in was so easyand the staff were so welcoming. We stayed in a standard room that was so up to date it was unbelievable, really modern for a country house. We had dinner in the restaurant that night and I cannot praise the staff enough - they were so friendly and professional. Dinner was delicious. The grounds of the hotel are just perfect - so well groomed and looked after. We loved the lake on the grounds and it was a perfect romantic getaway. Will definately be back.

We returned for another Magical Experience!

by TripAdvisor Member JDPM

I have returned to this hotel several times since my first visit last year and each vist remains fantastic. When travelling out of Dublin for a weekend I find it hard to look anywhere else! I have been down with my wife on our own (Stayed in the hotel) and with my two children (rented a cottage on the grounds) and last weekend fishing with a good friend of mine (staying in the hotel).

Staff are fantastic, the rooms are large and imaculate and the resturant food is fantastic value for the exceptionally high standard of food and service.

After a days fishing of the Moy on Friday we decided to spend a few hours on Saturday fishing on the stocked lake on the Castle grounds.....great criac.

We spent a little too long in the hotel bar on Friday night so I worked it off saturday morning with a workout in the gym and a swim in the pool followed by a long jacuzzi and sauna!!!

Additonal residents in the hotel included couples, groups of golfers and fishermen and what appeared to be some business people. Generally a good mix and all enjoying themselves greatly. The hotel bar is small and encourages chat amonst all there! Although we were dissapointed that we missed what was reported as a great trad session the night before we arrived.

Once again I left it as long as possible before leaving on Sunday night. We left just after 6 and I was home (Leopardstown, Dublin) in two hours and 45 minutes.

I'm already looking forward to returning........this place is great!

(I tried to put a few decent photos up but the 2 mb limit restricted virtually all my pics)!

Wonderful stay

by TripAdvisor Member WPBTA

We recently stayed for 3 nights at Mt. Falcon as part of a wedding party. The staff was excellent and the rooms are luxurious and comfortable. The hotel did a truly outstanding job for the wedding and our stay was quite exceptional. The food was excellent. Do not miss the local salmon. It is by far the best!!! We stayed in the new portion of the hotel and everything was spotless and new. Breakfast which came with our plan was always excellent. The pool and workout areas are also new and spotless. We didn't have time to try the spa. We were part of a large group and everyone enjoyed their stay at Mt. Falcon. The staff is very professional and catered to everyone's needs. We would love to return again soon!

Beautiful hotel. Staff sometimes a let down

by TripAdvisor Member Lileeny

We stayed at this hotel for two nights just following our wedding which we had elsewhere (I got the impression that they are mostly focussed on delivering to weddings over the weekend and we were just fillers - a number of times we were told there was a wedding this weekend).

The hotel is fantastic - our room (one of the deluxe ones) was so beautiful and well designed. The bath tub is just fantastic and a real treat. They have superb Foxford towels and gorg. robes - yummy.

Check in was fine - practical really, nothing special.

Our lunch sandwich was returned as the bread was rock hard and really the lunch options could do with being a little bit better. Certainly not stale bread. Breakfast was good -we had it in our room which was lovely.
Dinner was good but not spectacular for the prices.

We did feel that the staff at times were not up to the same standard of the hotel. The staff in the leisure centre especially were abrupt and more akin to staff you would find in a municipal pool than a hotel of this quality - because they have yearly membership, it's likely that the vast majority of those they see each day are not guests of the hotel but people from the local town who use the pool and gym and that's it - this could be the issue perhaps?

We ate in the restaurant one night and although the food was good and one waiter in particular - a guy from Holland - was excellent, the remainder were in chaos. We were asked three times if we wanted water - yes we did - but it took 25 minutes for the water to turn up. Ordering drinks was similar and we were served by so many different people it would make your head spin and asked the same questions time and again.

For me the hotel is lacking in having a professional hotel manager on hand running the show - it's just a little bit sloppy for the prices in the hotel. One example of this would be one day while having lunch outside, they were mowing the lawns (lots of lawn and I know they have to be cut but not while guests are trying to have a nice lunch on the one dry day of the summer) but he spent the hour we were outside almost on top of all of us with the mower constantly going. GO AWAY. In the end we gave up and went inside. The following morning he was outside our room.

We were there two nights and really three days and in that time, not one member of staff engaged with us enough to find out that we were on honeymoon which to me says alot about their interaction with guests.

It is a fab hotel but I would really love if they could get the staffing up to scratch and you wouldn't be able to keep me away from the place. It's truly beautiful, so nicely refurbished and the grounds are immaculate (at the mercy of our lunch outside).

Comments