The Ice House Hotel

SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Peaceful Riverside Hideaway

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 11, 2009

I was drawn to the Ice House for two reasons - because it was the sister hotel of my much loved Wineport Lodge, and because of a misty picture of its riverside setting that I found online.

Therefore, when I arrived on a cloudy Wednesday evening I was immediately disappointed as it is not at all like Wineport and that magical misty view was far from evident. The not too freindly receptionist didn't help, nor did the unimpressive "Glass Cube"....a tiny cubic conservatory where we were served a welcoming glass of bubbly.

Thankfully, those turned out to be simply poor first impressions and the Hotel turned out to be quite magical in its own way.

The rooms have names instead of numbers, and we were in the Saffron room. Its only Saffron furnishing was that two doors of the wardrobes were painted a bright warm yellow while the rest remained dark wood. I didn't like the yellow and I felt it took away from the room.

Other than that our room was large, bright, and really comfortable. We had twin single beds with those pillow top matresses that you simply sink into. There was also a small sofa, other chairs, a large work area with desk chair, tea and coffee facilities, and a tiny walk out balcony. In the new section of the building, where we were, only one or two rooms have blaconies. While we were fortunate to have one of those, the downside is that they are over a bottle storage area and we were subjected to the noise of the regular dumping of bottles from the bar. This, however, was the only noise that periodically disturbed the wonderful peace of our room.

The view was just gorgeous. We overlooked the river Moy and straight across from us at the other side of the river was a dense forest and some tiny islands. Birds flitted in and out of the trees, ducks and swans floated on the waters, and small boats made their merry way up and down the Moy.

Unique Quality: There is an allegedly amazing spa, which we didn't try and so I cannot comment on it. There are two hot tub outside overlooking the river. Some people expressed shyness at using them in full view of guests and river craft, but it wouldn't have bothered me.

The restaurant was fabulous and is renowned far and wide, indeed a lot further than Ballina! We enjoyed one unforgettable dinner there and a very superior breakfast that featured different dishes such as a wonderful home made granola plus my own fave, an eggs benedict that used pancetta instead of the usual thick ham.

On our arrival the receptionist on duty was a bit frosty in her nature, but she was replaced on her shift by a lovely girl who gave u some great recommendations for alternative restaurants and things to do.

This hotel is a nice little find - different from the norm and with a certain panache that's impossible to fake. On our last day, as I approached reception, a vibrant American lady was checking out. She turned to me and said "isn't it just wonderful? Didn't you have just the most amazing time?"

That's how people feel about this place.

Nearby The Ice House Hotel

• Spa
  • Free Parking
  • Free High Speed Internet

Ballina Travel Forum

Need advice about Ballina, Ireland? Visit the Travel Forum for Ballina and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Ballina hotel reviews