Priceline.com Otel.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Family fun

one of the best holiday experiences. We staged in a house with 4 apartments in it and it was a 3 minute walk from the main hotel which was the breaffy house. our familf was big and therre were three bedrooms in one room and two in the other. There 16 of us so we stayed in 3 apartments all in the same house. As we are from ireland we drove to mayo and it was a good 4 hours so you'd want to add a travelling day. there were parking spaces out of the houses we could stay in which was great!The swimming pool was a great attraction for the 8 kids but the life guards were very controlling. After the beautiful dinners most nights the kids would play mini golf at the front of breaffy house hotel and during the day they would play on the playground as my friends and i lay on the grass sun bathing. Children being children they didnt want to go the kids club. The food there was great distinctive and delicious for the adults but the usual chicken nuggets and chips for the kids which was a highlight as the young kids like their food plain and simple. But for the pre-teens we signed them up as children so it would be cheaper so they had to eat chicken nuggests every night. The games room meant they disapeared for a while as we had a drink in the bar. The grounds of the hotel where fab and i reccommend this for families.

Unique Quality: Games room, Park, beautiful pool, Fabulous gardens.

• PaulMcGann's Profile Photo

Satisfied

We stayed two nights and found the room to be very big, clean and comfortable. The bathroom also was roomy and spotless. An issue arose the first night in that the shower only produced luke warm water, at best, and we advised reception. We were moved the following day (Saturday) to an equally nice room after being told that the repair of the shower required the removal of tiles etc. and it was not practical for us to be there. We were pleased with the move. Shortly afterwards we discovered that we had left some of our clothes behind and asked to collect them. We were surprised to be told that the room was occupied !?! In any event, our clothes were delivered to us, promptly.
    Breakfast was very good and the restaurant staff were very friendly and efficient. Overall I would recommend the hotel, which was good value.

Directions: About 2 kilometres from the town

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Only a gothic pile on the outside

I thought long and hard about how best to describe the architecture of this place. In the end I settled on 'Neo-gothic internationalism disneyesque'. Meaning is has elements of turrents and towers, it's modern, but it could be found anywhere on the planet.

It is set in beautiful grounds, often used for wedding photographs - including my own !

Although I might be a little biased here, as it was where I spent my first night of marital bliss (I had to insert that bit), it is a very fine three-star hotel.

It has great facilities, smart-ish rooms and is trying hard to attract families. It even puts on special weeks with good deals available, and entertainment put on for the little treasures.

The hotel now also features a spa and a good sized leisure club.

Unique Quality: Tranquil setting, the approach road to the hotel makes for a real entrance - roll out the red carpet.

• Not ready for prime time

This hotel is like luxury resort meets Motel 6. We were in the new wing, which is very cheaply constructed for the price level. At over 160 Euros, I don't expect to find linoleum flooring in the bedroom. The layout is bizzare in the extreme. Rooms on the first floor can only be reached by climbing the stairs (no lift), walking down a hall and then taking the lift back down to the first floor.
    Abominable food service, which started with a waitress dropping a whole tray of drinks on the people at a nearby table, continued with a (different) server who didn't know what beer they had (come one. It's Ireland and you don't know if you have Harp's? The bar is five steps behind her.) and it kept going down from there. I had to restrain my wife from shouting at the manager by the end.

Unique Quality: Large property, great parking, horses nearby, quiet.
    There are spa services, but workout facilities.

Directions: Actually, south-east of town.

• jenna24's Profile Photo

Breaffy House

Breaffy House

Unique Quality: Established in 1890 by the Browne Family, Breaffy House retains all the charm and elegance of a bygone age, combined with the most modern facilities and services. Set on 100 acres of gardens and grounds just outside Castlebar town, the Hotel offers the perfect location for the business executive, or the ideal touring base for a relaxing leisurely holiday. The Hotel has recently been lovingly restored and refurbished. Guests will experience traditional hospitality with efficient service in relaxed and comfortable surroundings.

More about Breaffy House Resort

Great for Westport / Castlebar area

by sourbugger about Breaffy house hotel, castlebar

I thought long and hard about how best to describe the architecture of Breaffy house. In the end I settled on 'Neo-gothic internationalism disneyesque'. Meaning is has elements of turrents and towers, it's modern, but it could be found anywhere on the planet.

The hotel now also features a spa and a good sized leisure club. Tranquil setting, the approach road to the hotel makes for a real entrance - roll out the red carpet.

breaffy heaven

Just back from the breaffy house had a wonderful time. 14 women and no complaints, the staff could not do enough for us especially the restaurant
manager , it was two of our birthdays and they even went to the trouble of organising a birthday cake . We will definitly be back again .Anne

Good value for money

Stayed at the Breaffy House in April with my wife and three children(9,6 & Infant) on a special offer rate. Found the hotel and staff overall very enjoyable. The staff were extremely friendly and very good with the kids. There was some kids entertainment laid on as it was easter break. The family room was an excellent size, double and and two singles plus cot and still a great deal of room to move around. The room and bathroom were modern and spotless clean, mind you it was in the new wing, had a peek at the old rooms which looked pretty small and worn. The food at the breakfast was very good with plenty of choice. The service with the bar food is bit slow but it is the west of Ireland the pace of life is more laid back. The pool and spa were excellent. Overall a very enjoyable stay would come again.

Nearly Special

Stayed at breaffy house over Easter Period and had a great time. On Bed & Breakfast basis and enjoyed breakfast each morining with good selection of hot and cold buffet items. Went sight seeing during day so ended up eating pub grub in Westport and Ballina each evening. Found hotel very comfortable with idealic settings (once building works finished !) and pleasant staff. Leisure Club clean, modern and has great fit out. Kids had a ball and plenty of excursions in region to keep any family occupied, will be back. Additional charge for using leisure club before 9.00am - a bit Irish but keeps the kids out so I could swim in comfort, overall a great stay with 3*+ standards, nearly there

The weight room was the best!

We were a party of four who stayed at Breaffy House for two nights. We were warned not to expect much in the way of food, so we booked rooms only. We were going to have bar food in the evening but on going into the bar found the menus so filthy that we decided not to eat there at all. If the menus on the tables were dirty what does that say about the kitchen? Staff on reception very professional and helpful. The lift to our room was abysmal, though the bell boy tried hard! A maze to go through to find our rooms which, once found were clean and neat though the bathrooms were a bit inadequate. One of the rooms had a ceiling light not working and even though this was reported and an extra table lamp provided by staff as a substitute for the first evening, no attempt was made to fix the problem. King sized bed nice and comfy. The grounds are pretty. Best part of the stay was the gym/weight room which was excellently fitted out with really good equipment. The hotel felt a bit run down and as an expansion seems to be under way I would hope that what is there now is improved or people certainly won't come to the expansion. Oh, and there was a charge on our bill for breakfast for two which was not ours. The charge was cheerfully removed, but it should not have appeared at all.

Have a - Briefy - stay

by TripAdvisor Member katemg

Stayed in Breaffy house over the Easter bankholiday weekend with 3 children under 10. The children enjoyed it but overall we were disappointed with the experience. The hotel is definitely not what it is advertised as i.e, 4* Country Mansion - it may have been one time but is more like a 2* at present.
The hotel has the general air of a place that is being run on the cheap and understaffed.
There was no visible presence of anyone managing or generally overseeing the place or looking after guests over the weekend at all. On Easter Sunday there was a wedding on in the hotel which totally consumed any staff present to the detriment of any service for weekend guests. There seemed to be general chaos in the bar area with dirty tables and glasses everywhere and a reduced barfood menu available to ordinary guests (on Easter Sunday!) due to the wedding with an area of the already small bar cordoned off for the wedding party. The food is very average for what you might expect from a supposed 4* establishment and the advertised cafe at the leisure centre does not exist even though it is promoted on the hotels website. The family bedrooms are ok, however if you are in one of the new bedroom blocks be prepared for a walk. The newer part of the hotel has been badly designed to link in with the old building in that to get to reception you need to negotiate a maze of long walkways AND a lift which still leaves you out on a landing above reception with about 20 steps to walk down (not easy with suitcases or buggys!!) The pool complex is good which is definitely a plus for children but can only be reached from within the hotel by a small lift as there is no public stairs access. All in all this hotel is not what you are led to believe it is on visiting the website or reading the brochures. We will not be returning.

Horrible Hotel guests beware

I stayed at the Breaffy hotel last year for a wedding. It was a complete rip off. The shower was terrible making it impossible to wash your hair and oher wedding guests had the same problems. The wedding rate was more expensive than the normal rate which we had orignally booked under but were told to avail of the special guest rate !!!. A vegetarian wedding guest was given lettuce & croutons as a starter having sent the caesar salad back once to remove chicken and secondly to remove the anchovy dressing and believe it or not was given a tin of spagetti with some grated parmesan as a main course. The staff at reception didn't want to know.
While it looks lovely in some photos the cladding is tragic & looks terribly cheap and nasty.

I must admit that this hotel is a nasty place a complete rip off and potential guests would be advised to steer well clear.

Hotel

by ciaraspell

Can anyone please tell me if the Breaffy House Hotel in Castlebar is nice?I'm organising a birthday party for my sister and have booked this hotel-don't want it to be a disaster!thanks

Re: Hotel

by SalthillGuy

I have been there and it is not great.
A smaller family run hotels may be a better option.
Are you looking for accommodation or just a good night out.
Would a restaurant / pub with entertainment suffice, or do you require a private room.?

Comments