Westport Woods Hotel & Spa

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Westport Woods Hotel & Spa

Great family hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Dee09

We booked into the Westport Woods Hotel for a three night stay,friends had stayed there before and had recommended it as a great place to stay with children.We were delighted we got a large spacious room(two double beds plus couch bed) because with three children we needed it. When we arrived we were told about the childrens club it was such a great facility the kids just loved it and we were able to take advantage of the free time and use the spa which was fantastic, my husband and I both had a massage and then we used the hottub in the relaxation area it was a real chill out zone.
We liked the option of either having the children with us for dinner or they could eat with the kids club the variety on the menu was excellent,healthy options as well as the usual favourites.
There was great evening entertainment for the kids downstairs and the kids club is open until midnight, upstairs we were entertained in the bar with a band.
In the morning the kids were able to sign up for the breakfast train with the childrens club, giving us the chance to lie on and get breakfast later as they serve it until 11am.
Overall we really had a great time the staff were very friendly,service was great and value for money excellent.
The only negetative was that the children did not want to leave the hotel at all!!! we managed to get them for an afternoon trip to westport house which was enjoyable, the flume ride was definately their favourite. We will definately be returning to the westport woods hotel, they really know how to do a great family holiday.

Disappointing stay

by TripAdvisor Member 2Infiniti

The Westport Woods hotel experience was fairly basic.
Got the feeling the staff were going through the motions. At no stage were we asked if we were happy with our stay and got the feeling that this was because noone really cared.

One or two were pleasant at best but several seemed actually unfriendly.

We travel a lot and I would not say that we are particularly fussy but were disappointed with this hotel - the place needs a revamp - its decor is dated and the rooms are basic enough.

Bar food was ok and the breakfasts were hearty.
Lounge entertainment was good.
Leisure facilities were ok though the jacuzzi was out of order.

I couldn't recommend this hotel.

A quite enjoyable weekend

by TripAdvisor Member rpumpernickel

I have just returned from a long weekend to the west coast of Ireland having booked a flight to Knock Airport with Ryanair at the bargain fare of just 1 pence pp each way, a grand total of 4p for the wife and myself for the return flight, taxes included.
We spent the 5 nights at the Westport Woods Hotel just outside Westport and, having read the comments of previous guests we were a bit apprehensive as to what to expect.
We should have arrived at Knock at about 6pm but, regretfully, our flight was delayed by nearly 4 hours which eventually got us to Westport just before midnight.
When we arrived, the bar was still full with people and a jolly band playing music from the 60’s to the 80’s and with a few pints of Guinness and a few Gin & Tonics for the wife we soon forgot the frustration of the long delay.

Our room was quite spacious with a double and a single bed, a settee with 2 chairs, a table and the usual desk with courtesy tray and TV with a large, newly renovated bathroom. The furniture in the bedroom was a bit dated and the bedroom could do with modernisation but it was clean and the large window overlooked the leisure centre and the garden.

Evening meal was served in the ‘Lakeside’ Restaurant which, when the hotel was built, would have overlooked the lake, but over the years the trees and shrubs have taken over and there is no longer any sign of a lake apart from a sign outside on the lawn which reads ‘ Steep bank – Lake ahead’.

The meals were totally adequate, not a large selection and not in the ‘gourmet’ league but something I would call ‘wholesome’ or ‘hearty’ food.
Breakfast, in the same room, was self-service and again adequate, but I would prefer it freshly cooked and served to me on a plate.

The hotel has a large renovated bar with entertainment every night from about 10pm to midnight but the music, which I thoroughly enjoyed, may not appeal to the younger generation. The attached leisure centre is free to all hotel guests and has a gym, steam room, sauna, jacuzzi and a fairly large pool.

Westport itself is an extremely lively and extremely clean town, having won the title of ‘Tidiest Town’ on several occasions and, like many Irish towns and villages has a large number of very busy pubs, most of which have entertainment in the evening and are definitely worth visiting.

Would I go back to the Westport Woods Hotel? Yes, I wood, it’s a very friendly place and, hopefully, will soon benefit from a renovation of the rooms to transfer it from the 60’s to today, as long as they don’t overstep it and create one of these horrid minimalistic monstrosities which seem to be the fashion symbol of today.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Mags200

As I was attending a wedding in this hotel I decided to stay here for my 3 night stay in Westport. The only fault I have is that there was no wedding discount when booking your room. The hotel was excellent from check in to check out. The staff in all departments were extremly helpfull and nothing was to much trouble for them.

The bedroom was very spacious for a single room but on the dark side and the bathroom was on the small side. The leisure centre and spa facilities were excellent. The breakfast was great it was a buffet style with your full Irish and cereal, fruits etc. The food in the bar was excellent and there was a great choice on the menu. The bar had a great atmosphere with music in it at night.

The hotel was about ten minutes walk from the Octagan in the centre of the town, ten minutes walk from Westport House and about five minutes walk from the Harbour area but getting a taxi was easy.

Very Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member sillynilly

We booked a horse riding/spa pampering weekend and upon arrival at the hotel our immediate reaction was it was NOT like the website and brochure made it out to look. We wanted luxury, instead we got very faded decor, horrible carpeting, walls that have been painted over far too many times, overall a very dissapointing experience. We were shown 3 different rooms before we finally settled on the one we thought was cleanest, and we aren't ususally picky customers. If you do not have kids this is not the hotel for you, kids were everywhere all three days we stayed, running through the corridors screaming at 7am and throughout the day. The staff was uninterested and extremely disorganised. Dinner, both nights, was terrible and overpriced. I usually only login to this website to put positive reviews but I feel so taken advantage of by the Westport Woods I have to write this, the brochure they send you makes the place look like a beautiful sanctuary, and the hotel is anything but. The spa is professional and lovely, and the horse riding experience was wonderful. Book your riding and spa treatments through the hotel but stay elsewhere.

Drab but nice??

by TripAdvisor Member mark2773

We went for a drive to Westport and decided to stay over and just stopped at the Westport woods on the chance we could get a room.
The outside of this hotel looks all modern, when you step inside the first thing that meets your eyes is the drab carpets and hallway, the rooms are quite similar. The only problem I had was that every door seems paper thin and you seem to hear every door opening and closing all the time (but im a very light sleeper anyway).
The bar is very good and recently refurbished, restaurant at night had a set menu with no price, the food was ok nothing spectacular, breakfast was quite good.
As our time went on we really got to like the place staff were great and full of chat and even though we had some doubts we really enjoyed our stay.

Terrible, what a disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member GermacIreland

My wife and I stayed in this hotel late last summer. I have to say it is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The exterior looked very nice. I have always admired it the many times that I have stayed in Westport. Once we entered the hotel I got a sinking feeling in my stomach. The pebbled dashed walls and the uniform colours reminded me of a prison or a high school.

When we arrived we were shown to our room, which was the size of of large box. A dull exterior of the wall's were only matched by the interior of the tiny rooms. To say it was cell like was complementing it.

To make matters worse there was a distinct smell of sewerage from the room. It is the first time that I complained and that I asked to be moved to another room.

The new room was larger but it reminded me of something out of the 1980's. A couch was old and smelly and the bed's old.

With regards the meals. Breakfast was a like a late night crush in a chippers.

The meal itself was fine but getting it and finding a clean place to sit was the problem.

What really annoyed me is that we paid close to over €400-500 for this. (2 nights)

I got the feeling they were going through the motions of been a hotel and were tired of tourists. We would have been better if we had staid in a B&B down the road.

I hate saying this about a hotel in Westport as I love the town so much

Dismal

by TripAdvisor Member gs1234

I visited this hotel with my wife and kids last Autumn and we all had a terrible time!

First the positives: The reception and leisure centre staff are excellent. It was not their fault that the hotel itself was so dismal.

Now the many many negatives: First they tend to rope you into buying a 'package' that includes breakfast and dinner. It sounds like good value until you see the restaurant and taste the food! The waitering staff look like they have never been in a restaurant before! The food is the most bland dry food you have ever tasted! There is more class and character in MacDonalds food than at this place! The restaurant itself looks like something out of a 70's timewarp - from 'The Shining' maybe?!

Apparently the whole problem with this place is that it used to be a good hotel when the 'Ryan Group' owned it and then it was sold on to the 'McEniff Group' about 25 years ago who have totally refused to maintain it or spend a penny on it since then!

The hotel rooms are cold, damp and smelly! The carpet is about 20 years old and the beds are soft and have the cheapest thinnest sheets and covers you have ever seen covering them!

The grounds are also about 30 years out of date. There is a 'tennis court' with a fence that is hanging off and a surface that is falling away at the sides. You can rent 'tennis rackets' at reception which are wooden and have a few strings missing! They don't even have the decency to buy a few cheap tennis rackets! The 'children's playground' is a 30 year old safety hazard at best! The 'kids club' is a total sham with cheap broken out of date 'equipment' for the kids to play with.

I have stayed in hundreds of hotels all over The World in my time and this is most definately the very worst!

If you are going to the beautiful town of Westport Co Mayo please stay at another hotel. I have stayed at the 'Atlantic Coast' and 'Hotel Westport' before and although they might both cost more than the 'Westport Woods' they are both a million times better!

OK over all

by TripAdvisor Member JimboJambo

I booked a birthday surprise long weekend for my wife. The hotel's web site advertised its in-house Spa and horse riding stables.
What it does not tell you is that the stables are about 3 miles from the hotel, so you must have your own transport to get there.
The organisation of bookings at the stables was poor. The timing of our rides was altered three times and they attempted to send us on the same route twice. We were adamant that we did not want to do the same gentle walk/trot round the back of the Croagh Patrick mountain, as I had specificallly booked this break on the promise of being able to ride on the beach.
They then managed to misread the tide tables, so we ended up riding our horses through water deep enough to fill our riding boots.
A long day in the saddle was meant to be rewarded with a relaxing massage for us both. The masseuse at the hotel caused pain unlike any I have known before. (Due to life long problems with my left shoulder I am a bit of a connoiseur of massages, and have had deep tissue massage in Japan, Ayurvedic massage in India and various other treatments. This masseuse was just not good at her job).
Sitting in the outdoor hot tub as the sun set was good, though.
Other than that, the food was OK, but very bland for my vegetarian wife. The room was OK - nothing special. Live entertainment in the bar was OK - one man and a guitar doing sixties cover versions.
The hotel is geared up to cater for elderly folk on coach holidays more than youngish independent travellers.
The local scenery is superb and the town of Westport is lively, touristy and full of bars with live music.
Try Matt Molloy's for authentic Irish music in a pub owned and run by the flute player in The Chieftains.

Very poor Not as descibed on website

by TripAdvisor Member casa40

We arrived in Westport on Saturday and decided to stay. We went to tourist office to book accommodation to be told that there was nothing available for that night as there were 3 weddings in the town.

We rang Westport woods and were told there were rooms available.

We went to the hotel. There were 2 receptionists on duty. One was not able to deal with reservations and the other was having a telephone conversation about buying a car. The call lasted at least 10 minutes and we were ignored. When the call finished she did not even acknowledge us standing there. We were not a position to be choosey.

Got a room at 200 euros. Room 111 in the basement. It was grubby, dark, dated and smelly. Th etowels were threadbare. The shower rail and curtain fell off the wall.

This is not a luxury hotel. I would set foot in this hotel again.

Their room rates should reflect the quality of the place. I have stayed in better bed and breakfasts.

Comments