Navan, Ireland

Costs 25% less than similarly rated 2 star hotels

More about Bellinter House

Romantic, chilled yet cosy

by TripAdvisor Member Andie_McClain

Spent a December weekend at Bellinter House and loved the laid back atmosphere. The lounge area was buzzing on Friday and Saturday nights but still felt really comfortable. Our room was warm and toasty as was the rest of the hotel, very important for me. Food was delicious both in the bar and restaurant. Had an excellent massage in spa. House is architecturally important and has been carefully restored. Liked the quirky decor - not all to my taste - but it works.

Memorable Birthday

by TripAdvisor Member Member-1963

Could there be a more potentially difficult outing than one involving twenty members of one extended family without the moderating presence of friends or strangers? An age range from eight to eighty only added to the combustible nature of our party for a dinner and overnight stay on the occasion of an eightieth birthday. So it was that I approached the event with considerable fear and trepidation - all of which turned out to be completely groundless and unnecessary.

It was so - not because of any exceptional behaviour by my family who mostly displayed their usual foibles - but thanks to the exquisite dinner and accommodation and most particularly to the laid back efficiency and service of the staff of Bellinter House in County Meath. My thanks and appreciation to all concerned.

Exceptional Staff in beautiful surroundings

by TripAdvisor Member HomecareLondon

The staff at Bellinter House are exceptional and make you feel most welcome at this beautifully renovated house into a first class hotel. It is child friendly with great facilities for all the family including a pool, outdoor hottub, sauna and steam room. The spa is incredible with wonderful products and treatments. All the rooms have wonderful voya products even if they are impossible to get at due to a poor dispensing mechanism. The rooms have state of the art light and TV controls and the beds are of the utmost comfort and we slept so well we even had to wake the children the following morning. The food in the Eden restaurant and the drawing room is exceptional with a good mix of Irish and international dishes. We loved it and as one of the children said it deserved 11/10.

Nice Staff, pity about management...

by TripAdvisor Member EilIrl

Stayed in Bellinter House last week for one night. Hotel is nice, but for the price it could, and should, be a whole lot better! Myself and my partner stayed in the Ruin, which was a fantastic room, (apart from the TVs constant need to turn itself on and off). Lovely roll top copper bath and view from window. We had dinner in Eden which was fantastic, service was great. However there where some bad points - the breakfast was lacking, the owner who was there at check out seemed to be in a world of his own complaining that he was "missing meetings as we speak" and he only seemed interested in you if you were "someone", the Spa could be better - it doesnt even have a steam room or pool in which to relax after your treatment. Over all, for all the hype that this place has been given it is not worth it! Don't bother!

Amateur place with 5 Star Prices

by TripAdvisor Member Gigi049

This was a really disappointing place to stay and for the prices they charge they are in dream-land. From the moment we arrived we disliked most things about the place. The driveway was covered in potholes and we nearly did our car some serious damage. Surely it's not that expensive to repair a few potholes? We then went for a swim in what can only be described as a prefab building. It is a dark, dreary, shabby place with white plastic furniture. Hardly the image you conjure up from the website. It was full of screaming women playing in the pool and this then continued throughout our stay. There were lots of groups of loud women on a weekend away. I'm all in favour of people enjoying themselves but Bellinter House is not big enough to absorb so many loud groups.

The service levels were laughable in the bar and restaurant. I ordered a glass of Champagne and that was met with 'Would you not prefer a glass of Prosecco?'. This was highly amateur to second guess your customers and then suggest they might prefer something inferior. I had to hold back by bemusement. The bar staff appeared always confused and not entirely familiar with the products they were selling. Our meal in Eden was disastrous. Out of a table of 8 people 4 of us had to send our main courses back as they were cold. Lunch the next day in the bar was a joke. We ordered a soup and sandwich and after over 30 minutes we cancelled our order.

The building itself is stunning but shabby in many parts. There are no proper gardens and there is nothing to do here other than the spa. They do not own any land nearby whatsoever, it is literally just the house and driveway. On the day we were there the farmer next door had put down fresh manure on his fields, as is normal. However the smell was so overpowering that even taking a stroll down the potholed driveway was unpleasant.

They need to improve their service levels and reduce their prices if they are to be taken seriously. This epitomizes rip-off Ireland. Not recommended.

Public Areas Not Large Enough

by TripAdvisor Member Adequate

This hotel has been hyped up.

After thoroughly researching the hotel on the internet and reading various reviews, we decided it would be the perfect place to celebrate a milestone birthday weekend, however I warn you now - if you expect Bellinter to be the perfect weekend retreat for rest and relaxation, think again.

Impressive drive up to the entrance on arrival on Friday and checked in effortlessly. Stayed in a room in the main house which was big and spacious. Ate that evening in Eden and found the meal to be adequate. Had a great nights sleep in the big, comfortable bed – the pillows were to die for.

Breakfast was lovely, would recommend the French toast, although we were quite disappointed with the lack of choice. The cooked breakfast was quite poor.
On the way back to the hotel on Saturday afternoon we decided to have coffee in the lounge. BIG MISTAKE! The hotel was absolutely full with people. There wasn’t a seat to be had in any of the public areas and we even had to tread carefully through reception to avoid the luggage strewn everywhere. Which led us to the conclusion that the public areas are not large enough accommodate the guests from the Main House, Wings, Stables and Bath House. We were very aggrieved at this as we had paid a premium to stay in the Main House and expected the service to match the price. Perhaps the introduction of a seating area in the bedroom would help as the only place to sit in it was on the bed!

We had planned to eat in the Lounge that evening but having seen the chaos the reigned there in the afternoon we chose to play it safe and reserved a table in Eden. When we arrived downstairs at the allocated time, they couldn’t find the booking and we had to stand around until someone could make the decision whether we could eat or not. Service was very slow, certainly not worth the compulsory 12.5% service charge.

One positive point – the Bathhouse and even this disappointed as it didn’t have enough relaxation loungers for everyone who was having treatments and they didn’t enforce their policy of quietness. A group of women were very raucous and did spoil the ambience somewhat. However my therapist, Laura, was one of the nicest I have ever met.

Bellinter is OK for large groups and families but if it is a country house, quiet atmosphere you are looking for, it is best avoided.

A bit overrated

by TripAdvisor Member cailin-11

There's a great buzz about Bellinter in the press lately, so my husband and I decided to see what all the fuss was about! We arrived on Friday afternoon and checked in. We had a swim in the early evening (the "heated" indoor pool could do with a little more heat!!). The changing rooms hadn't been tended to in a while and the floors were a bit dirty and the basket overflowing with used towels and robes.

Our room was in the Bathhouse (room R6). It was perfectly adequate but certainly not plush. The bed was lovely and big though - and very comfortable. I'd been looking forward to having a bath, but unfortunately the bathtub was a beautiful old fashioned type that was about a metre long and a metre deep and at 8 months pregnant, there's absolutely no way I'd have been able to get into or out of it!

Unfortunately the lounge was full by about 7pm so we had to eat in the bar, but the food and service were both good. After eating we decided to go back to the room and watch a DVD - but our DVD player didn't work! Someone from reception came to have a look but couldn't fix it.

On Saturday we enjoyed another cold swim after breakfast, a nice lunch (again at the bar as the lounge was full!), and some fabulous treatments in the afternoon. We ate in Eden that night and thoroughly enjoyed the meal.

I also have to agree with the previous reviewer that the room was far too hot despite it being the middle of winter!

Despite our few complaints, we did enjoy our stay but it was a little disappointing after having heard so much hype. It was a pricey weekend and I think better value can be found elsewhere.

Relax and Romance!

by TripAdvisor Member strongwoman

We're two Australians living in Dublin.

For our one year wedding anniversary we decided to treat ourselves.

We never get pampered, and we decided our 1st anniversary was the time to start!

I wanted all the things I'd read about in magazines - from facials to fantastic food....and I got it.

For us the location and the building was incredibly Irish (an old mansion)....with a modern twist.

The room was great. Lovely big bed, huge tele and robes. You have to love a robe to make you feel decadent!

I had a facial and we had seaweed baths (apparently great for the skin!). Totally relaxing.

Dinner in the restaurant was good. Hubby loved his Irish beef. I ordered the beetroot and vodka risotto and it was a little bland. But you don't go to Ireland for risotto though, I should have known better! Starters were great along with desserts and wine.

Staff helpful.

Highlight: Sitting in the outside hot tub checking out the view across the banks of the Boyne.

So, a great experience. But you pay for quality. It wasn't cheap and we'll be paying off the credit card over the next few weeks - but a worthwhile investment if you're looking to get away (not far from Dublin) to pamper yourself and relax.

Great for a special treat!

Highly recommended - great getaway close to Dublin

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here for a weekend to celebrate her birthday. We were very, very impressed. For reference, we'd be used to some other Irish hotels such as Tinakilly, Renvyle House, Brook Lodge etc.

In no particular order:

- House itself has been beautifully restored and decorated, and yet, it's comfortable, not stuffy. you feel "at home" as soon as you arrive.
- Food was very good (Eden restaurant for dinner, but we also ate from the casual menu in the lounges); uniformly very good food.
- Staff excellent: polite, helpful but very down-to-earth
- Our room was lovely (no. 6 in "the ruins" - a little way away from the main house); roomy, great taste in decor, touches of luxury - and a great bed
- Pool and sauna were lovely

All in all the place was just great; classy yet comfortable and relaxing. A brilliant place to hang out for a few days and wine and dine yourselves.

by TripAdvisor Member 101watts

Really great, friendly staff. My partner ran out of her favourite cigarettes and the barman had someone bring them from the nearest town within minutes. We had our two and a half year old with us and it was very child friendly. We ate in the excellent Eden Restaurant the first night and in the bar the following night. The wee one had her little portable DVD player and watched Shrek while we tucked into some delicious seafood. I congratulated the barman on the Guinness which was the best I've tasted in months. We had a great swim in the pool the following day and my partner had a massage which was shorter than the hour long session it was supposed to be. She mentioned this to the receptionist and later we were given a bottle of Prosecco on the house. Now that's good!

We would definitely return, hopefully when the weather is better so we're not house-bound. Some extra kids things would be a help though, maybe a play-room and a some outdoor toys for the dry days?

Comments