Clarion Road, Sligo, County Sligo, Ireland

Travelocity Booking.com Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Lyndra's Profile Photo

Quality Sligo Accomodation

We booked a two bedroom apartment at this wonderful hotel (on the site of an old mental hospital!) and were very impressed from start to finish.
    The rooms wer spacious and clean. Well decorated with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Living area was suitable for our needs with sofa, dining area, TV (also TV's in each bedroom), small kitchenette with microwave and small fridge, toaster. Plenty of room and space to have your own time also.
    Only enough kitchen equipment for 3 people which we thought was odd - it meant that we could not eat as a foursome, this was the only downside for us.
    Situated just outside Sligo town centre it is probably too far for walking into town in the evening but the main hotel will call taxis for you. The apartments are situated at the far end of the road that goes around the hotel - they are purpose built and very different in style to the main hotel but for excellent quality and value for money they are a definate to try.

Unique Quality: Fantastic setting, good location, goos customer service from hotel staff

More about Clarion Hotel Sligo

An enjoyable experience

by TripAdvisor Member hh76

My husband and I have just spent a 3 night break in the Clarion Hotel, Sligo and really enjoyed the break. Room was really comfortable and spacious. The staff (mostly foreign nationals) were extremely pleasant and helpful at all times. We dined in the asian bar and also in the restaurant and both meals were delicious as well as plentiful. We would certainly return to this hotel for a short break and would recommend to anyone hoping to stay in the Sligo area. Sligo is a really good shopping town with plenty of beautiful surrounding scenery.

Okay but nothing special

by TripAdvisor Member Galway_Lady

I stayed at the Clarion Hotel recently, and while I would say it is the best hotel Sligo has, the standard in Sligo hotels is quite low. (I have stayed in a number of them.)
The room I had was badly in need of an overhaul, the paintwork was dirty and badly marked, and the shower attachment was broken. I stay in hotels regularly because I travel a great deal in the course of my work, and for me, it is attention to detail which makes a good hotel into a great hotel.
The receptionist was pleasant and efficient, and the staff in the dining room, I also found pleasant. So, yes, the Clarion has potential, and if I am in Sligo again, I would probably stay there, but, in summary, it is okay but nothing special.

lunatics have taken over the asylum

its like Fawlty towers!lots of problems with a lovely hotel and grounds
Check in staff gave some members of party of 4 incorrect details of our booking This was only rectified when the person who made the booking arrived with email of booking printed off.I dont recommend the Spa for relaxation as you'll end up more stressed with bookings cancelled.we werent informed of this until we turned up and waited a considerable length of time.The spa ataff didnt seem to know how to work the computerised booking system.
On the day of departure we were telphoned to the room at 11.50 to remind us that check out time is 12noon- when we went to check out the reception area was full- not enough room for everyone to stand in the queues!
wouldnt recommend this hotel

Stay here!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Itchy_English_Feet

As somebody with very high standards, I am usually hard to please when it comes to finding nice hotels. This hotel was definitely one of the best in which I have ever stayed. Approaching the hotel from the road you are greeted by an imposing building, magnificently renovated with fabulous grounds. Unlike other Clarion hotels in Ireland, this hotel is not purpose-built, and is actually a former mental institution. The character of the building was well kept (limestone walls etc.) and the impersonal, modern style and atmosphere of other Clarion hotels was definitely absent...a good thing!

The staff were generally helpful, asking whether I wanted myluggage to be brought to the room, whether I needed any help deciding what to see in Sligo etc.

As I stayed in the hotel mid-week, and it was obviously not full, I was upgraded to a suite room. Wow! The bed was huge and extremely comfortable. What I also loved was the fact that there was tea, coffee, & water provided, which was extremely welcome after a long drive. The room also had an iron and ironing board, most unusual nowadays, but which was also very welcome.

I didn't use the pool or spa on this occasion. The breakfast, although expensive, was excellent, with a great choice of food from cereals, breads, juices, pastries to the full Irish breakfast. I also ate in the hotel restaurant which was excellent, if slightly lacking in atmosphere during the day.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel. And I would have no hesitation in returning in the future.

Wow

by TripAdvisor Member Jemos

Having read some of the reviews on the Clarion, it was with bated breath that we as a family headed off for the weekend to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday. Well, we were not disappointed!! As others have said, the building itself is very impressive from the outside. Once inside, the decor is modern and very clean. From the minute we walked in, we were made to feel very welcome and I have to say that over the whole weekend this was what impressed us the most - every member of staff that we came in contact with was so friendly and helpful. We were given a free upgrade to a suite and boys oh it was fabulous!!The rooms are spacious, simply and tastefully decorated and it was lovely having a separate lounge with small kitchen area, microwave, fridge, table and chairs.

We had lunch in the Kudos bar which was delicious, every bite was really tasty. Some other reviewer commented on the smell from the open plan layout of this bar but I have to disagree. We were sitting very near to where the food was being prepared and it was lovely watching the chef put together the meals. Our meal in the main restaurant was enjoyable, although I wouldnt rave about it but, for a family meal, it was very acceptable and, again, the service and staff were just lovely. The breakfasts were very tasty with a fabulous selection of various kinds of foods - fruits, croissants, cheeses and all the usual other breakfast foods. The pool, sauna was great - very clean and new looking. For those with young children there is a lovely little play area and separate room for them to watch a video.

We certainly would return to this hotel. We had gone to it by saving vouchers from the super valu shops - I'll definitely be looking out for this deal again. 10/10 for the Clarion.

FABULOUS HOTEL BUT DOESN'T SUIT YOUNG

First impressions on arrival were stunning and luxorious. We were very kindly upgraded to a suite which was lovely & really showed why this is a 4 star hotel!

Travelling on a young couples weekend,I was extremely disappointed with the treatment we received by one member of staff on our 2nd evening.
From a respectable family & spending over 650 euro on rooms alone, we felt we were unfairly mistreated and a catagorised into a certain group because of age.

Some people have unfortunately misrepresented young people as troublesome but like most I feel this is only the minor.

This member of staff was rude, persumptious and unwilling to listen. We were so upset by the inexcusable bad level of customer service received & really feel that it let down our holiday and the reputation of this hotel.

This Hotel is fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member mancmons

It's some time since I stayed at this Hotel but it's one of the best I've stayed at. Great rooms, large and luxurious, marvellous leisure facilities, good overall service and an excellent location.

The Thai restaurant is wonderful, the best Asian food I've ever had.

We got a great Internet rate during UK Autumn half term.

Well worth the visit.

Pleasant enough I suppose !!!

by TripAdvisor Member SharonP

Summary: Hotel understaffed in all quarters; Kudos service was worst i've ever experienced because not enough staff - the ones that were there tried very hard even though they'd barely a word of English between the five of them; Synergie restaurant - better than average evening meal; breakfast was cold both mornings and think it wouldn't have been great if it was hot anyway ! We had baby with us and hotel was very very child-friendly; would recommend suite - it's like an apartment and if you've got a family it's perfect; leisure facilities were lovely; foyer atmosphereless. Hotel generally lacks the famous Irish hospitality you get in other more "comfortable" and "homely" hotels.

Tip: We stayed at the Killarney Plaza two weeks before and if you're ever down that part of the country they will show you how a hotel should really be run !!! (Fabulous!)

A little odd

by TripAdvisor Member ManUtdfan

It is not easy to get past the fact that it is a former mental
institution. It looks like a cross between a castle and a prison. In the public spaces, it has a modern, airy feel. It needs more staff at the front desk area. The staff was quite overworked answering phones and seeing to guests in person, and we were there in shoulder season, so I can only imagine what it would be like in high season. The carpet was noteworthy because the design was of two half-circles that did not meet up. So, it was meant to look designer-trendy, but in the mental institution context, it made one surmise that inmates made it. There were also two very small rooms on either side of the front doors that laughingly made us think of rubber rooms. Probably not fair, because they had nice chairs in them, but, again, it comes with the mental institution tradition. The rooms themselves are pretty well kept and of slightly
larger-than-average size, although the TV is small and not a flat screen, not to mention LCD. Good bathroom and good amenities. The minibar has all its items placed onto weight-detectors, so that if you remove something you are charged instantly and automatically. It was a major affair for us to get our minibar emptied as we always do so we can put in our own items. The hallways feel like an apartment house, and are absolutely endless since the hotel is pretty large. The hotel is also a touch less than a mile from town, which was not the impression I had gotten from reading about it. So, it is a bit far to walk, and parking in town is not very available. So, bottom line: it was ok, and the staff tried
very hard, but it is really just a chain hotel and we would not recommend it nor stay there again.

Comments