Swan Point, Sligo, County Sligo, Ireland

Expedia.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• WBeall's Profile Photo

Very New and updated

Let me start this off by saying how great the view was. We had a balcony that over looked the river and bridge. The room was new and everything is updated. We really enjoyed this hotel and if we ever stay in Sligo again we would stay here. The Pubs and main attractions were walking distance. Great restaurants and bars nearby and really cute town. The hotel has free parking and free internet in the rooms. The customer service was great and on our first night there were no rooms available for us and they told us of great places to stay in the town. We were waiting on a package and they waited for it and even called the post service to find out where it was and how to get it there faster. Everyone was extremely helpful and nice. I would suggest this hotel to just about anyone.

Unique Quality: Great views,
    and awesome location!

Directions: In the heart of Sligo

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Sligo at your feet...

The Glasshouse is a more modern hotel than most in SligoTown. It has recently been refurbished and the guest rooms are decorated in retro colours, (mine was in orange and greeen). Sounds awful but it wasn't at all. Everything was very clean and comfortable and the staff in every area of the hotel couldn't have been more obliging.

The hotel is situated right in the heart of Sligo, right beside the River Garavogue.

The restaurant and bar at the Glasshouse are both first rate. I had a magnificent steak in the restaurant not to mention the fabulous seafood chowder. The bar is very popular and stays open late.

I would definitely return to the Glasshouse.

• Lovely Hotel

This Hotel is in A lovely setting Overlooking The River garavougue. It is All Glass so gives you lots of views of the river. every floor has a different colour theme. They have a restaurent and a bar and they will do your laundry at a extra cost.the curtins are lovely and everything else is great about it. it is also very mordern. I was lucky I booked the accomodation on www.alpharooms.com and I paid 300 pounds for 7 nights. I would certinly recommend this to a friend.

Unique Quality: Great views , Lovely light airy rooms,Lovely staff.

Directions: directly on the river garaougue

More about Glasshouse Hotel

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DerryFairy

Just a quick note regarding my recent stay in the Glass House, Sligo. For anyone who is looking for a first class hotel, located centrally to restaurants, nightlife and shopping and I can't recommend this hotel highly enough. Fantastic, modern decor (although definitely the corridor carpet give me a bit of a headache!) but overall I was very impressed with the effort made with the interior design. Rooms are a good size and well equipped (eg. plasma screen tv, bottled water etc) Everything very clean. Breakfast delivered promptly to the room, good selection and served hot.

Staff were also lovely, particularly the reception staff we found very helpful with advice and directions.

One of the Best Hotels I have ever stayed in

by TripAdvisor Member cucoo

Having read the reviews I was a bit aprehensive of staying here but am I glad that I visited the Glasshouse. This must be one of the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in -On arrival we were greeted by really friendly receptionists who could not help us enough - Our biggest problem was finding the hotel - Watch Sligo it's a one way system - We had a room on the 4th floor overlooking Sligo - this was stunning from the views to the standard of cleanliness in the Room - All staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful throughout all our stay - even in the corridors which I really thought good. On departing again we had a very efficient check out with no delays and again asked did we enjoy our stay. I personally could only recommend this hotel and wish it all the success in future.

keeping up appearances, if only the service lived up the hotels good looks!

by TripAdvisor Member sara1981

Having read varying reviews of the Glasshouse before my trip to Ireland, I really wasn't sure what to expect. however here's what i thought- i hope it helps!

The hotel looks gorgeous, very impressive from the outside, and the interiors are plushly decorated- no shortage of quirky canvas paintings, and lovely use of bold colour- even if the carpets in the corridors are a little psycadelic. The look of the hotel however- and it is amazing- is as good as it gets.

I had read alot of complaints concerning the reception staff, I found them quite charming- except for the hotel's paying on arrival policy-never heard of this before anywhere!

Heading upstairs to the our rooms past the bar- this was mid afternoon there was already a very roudy crowd of men gathering in there- more of this later..

My biggest problem of our visit to the Glasshouse was at dinner. My partner and I were seated at a makeshift table with conference seating chairs-he responded with a rather agressive tone, and after some confrontation reluctantly moved us to another table. Service was poor. Dinner was ok, though my partner and I found the menu a little overblown, and would have prefered a more basic, but higher quality offering of food.

After dinner we headed to the hotel bar for after dinner drinks- admittedly this was a busy Saturday evening- but we were unable to get seats anywhere- the reception area and the bar were filled with non residents. The dj and his running commentary was absolute dated dribble. It was rather like being at the local disco when you were a teenager. On our way back to our room we found people spilling from the bar talking loudly on mobiles, drinks in hand in the corridor directly outside the bedrooms. Two minutes further down the corridor we met a burly doorman. Not the relaxing atmosphere you would expect from a 4 star hotel.

Arriving back into our room we realised that there was a vent from the hotel restaurant was right beside our balcony. The smell of dinner (and breakfast the next morning) had managed to permeate closed doors/windows. The room did not smell as a hotel room should.

Its really great to see visually impressive, interesting hotels such as the Glasshouse popping up in Ireland, its just a shame that whilst the visuals are 4 star, everything else is lagging way behind.

On this trip we also stayed at the Morrison, Dublin and the Carlton Redcastle- both were much more enjoyable stays than this one- something to keep in mind if you're planning a trip to Ireland.

Thoroughly enjoyable

by TripAdvisor Member Martin37

Having stayed in the glasshouse on a number of occasions I recomend it highly, its location in the centre of Sligo town, makes everything very accessible. The rooms are fantastic, staff very efficient and friendly, with excellent food, and superb rates. Anybody visiting the yeats country should really give it every consideration.

Nice hotel !!

by TripAdvisor Member pami.eire

I had also read the reviews on this hotel and was expecting surly reception staff but was pleasantly surprised ! they were lovely !couldnt fault the service apart from waiting for 1 x chowder and 1 x BLT for 1 hour until we got fed up and told them to forget it .
Rooms were beautiful contemporary and modern as is the entire hotel , if this isnt your taste then dont stay ! It is different and it works on a whole so no complaint would stay again definitly.

nice but smaller than pictures on the site

by TripAdvisor Member Niamhus007

We stayed for two nights over a weekend on a wet and miserable weekend.
The hotel was not impossible to find but with the narrow streets wasnt exactly easy and it seems that the traffic system was getting used to the one way streets that were two way before.
its peaking out at the corner of a street and doesn't stick out massively like the website portrays.
first impressions when entering were... wow. its really impressive!
the staff were lovely and helpful. the car parking is underground and a lift from your floor can get you there.
the room we expected to be a big bigger it just felt small.
not enough space around the bed or between the bed and the chair. just enough space for one person at a time to walk around.
bed was lovely white crisp duvet and soft pillows, duck or goose feather i dont know but just heavenly to sink into!
there was a bottle of water beside the bed on each side. it wasnt replaced the next day when it was empty.
our room was bright greens and very nice. we had a little balcony which over looked the ducks and swans on the river which i could have spent hours watching them.
I felt with the wardrobe space a little mini fridge could have fitted in and the water in there, as the water was warmer than the room.
We ate the first night in the restaurant, the setting was lovely overlooking the river. when we arrived in it was pretty quiet and by our main course it was very busy. we found that due to others entering the restaurant that our meal was then not first priority. we both had a long wait between starter and main, my wait was about 5 mins longer than my partners. dessert menus were asked for about 4 times with 4 different waiters before we got them. we were half hearted about them at that stage and after we ordered took another 15-20 for Ice cream!
the food was nice but i think the restaurant was too hyped up on their website than it actually is. i think they are pushing the art of food more so than a decent three course meal that you will feel full after it.
breakfast was delicious and self service, with plenty of choice.
We went for a drive on Saturday up to Bundoran which has lovely beaches and also went to glencarn waterfall which was really beautiful.
saturday night we ate in a pub nearby which i must admit was gorgeous and much nicer than the hotel restaurant, i cant think of the name but it had black exterior and near the river. seemed like a lively pub also.
over all the hotel is lovely but i think little things could be added to make it a more pleasant stay but thats not to say you wont enjoy it.
Im not a fussy person but when its compared to other hotels who are in the same price bracket, they could do with adding little bits and maybe directing staff to serve certain tables only.
enjoy your stay!

Loved this Hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member Adraine

Just back from three nights at the Glasshouse and i have to say it was fantastic. The staff , the food , the decor and the location were all A1. Ignore all the bad reviews , this is the perfect place to stay if you are ever in sligo.

Ultramodern hotel in a small Irish town

by TripAdvisor Member SoFLTraveler

I stayed for one night while on a guided tour of Ireland. The hotel is ultramodern, with "loud" carpeting and room decoration, either orange or green, depending upon the floor. The rooms were clean, spacious and quiet. Dinner at the hotel, and breakfast the next morning were excellent, although the foreign staff was confused and tentative at times. They really need a good supervisor/manager there. The front desk people were helpful without being friendly...we decided they developed an attitude to go along with the eclectic decor. The bar was packed on this weekend night, as it is the place for the young and happening crowd to gather in this small town. Luckily, the noise didn't carry up to my room. The location is great for exploring Sligo, right downtown with shops, a small shopping mall, restaurants and a multiplex down the street. I would definately stay again.

Above and beyond...

by TripAdvisor Member ATBIB

We were unsuccessful in booking a B&B that we liked with the tourist office so suggested they contact a hotel, and ended up at the Glass House. Very centrally located and underground parking part of the price so could walk easily everywhere. Room was very comfortable with balcony overlooking river and bridge. Decor was modern and carpeting loud and wavy lines made it a little dizzy walking in halls. Wondered why carpet seemed somewhat marked, in that hotel we were told, only opened December last.
Breakfast was very good in a lovely restaurant setting and again part of the price.
Best part was when we departed and found after driving two hours south,we had left a rather expensive waterprroof coat in the closet. We contacted the hotel through the tourist office in Knock and the hotel promised that, if they found it, to send it to the B&B we were booked into two nights from then, in Tralee. I must admit I was skeptical of seeing the coat again but sure enough- two days later it was waiting for us as we arrived ! (Maybe another miracle from Knock!). No charge for delivery either.
So that kind of service seems to me to be above and beyond expectations.
Fine hotel and can only say service for us was great !

Comments