Yeats Village

Yeats Village
Booking.com HostelBookers.com

More about Sligo

beach barbeach bar

JumpingNOEL, VTer kilnamona, Sligo, Ireland 2010JumpingNOEL, VTer kilnamona, Sligo, Ireland 2010

Village of DrumcliffVillage of Drumcliff

Glencar Falls.......Glencar Falls.......

Gillighan’s World

by alivan

Hi!
I'm interested in visit Sligo this summer with child and I want more information about Gillighan’s World, it seems a nice option for my nieces. Is a good place?
What can I visit in Sligo for two days?
Thank you in advance for your replays.

Alícia

Re: Gillighan’s World

by leics

Looks nice (I haven't been), depednig on the age of your nieces:

Other Sligo places to see:

Re: Gillighan’s World

by annemariebyrne

Haven't been to Gillighan's World, but saw it on TV and it looked like it was worth a visit with children. I would highly recommend a visit to 'eagles flying' in Ballymote which I have brought children to several times and they always enjoyed it. It's a rescue centre for raptors and other birds of prey and also has a selection of birds and small animals. They put on a show everyday at 11am and 3pm. Directions and other details on www.eaglesflying.com

Travel Tips for Sligo

Climb to the cairn of Queen...

by Bodhran

Climb to the cairn of Queen Maeve. On the way into Sligo from the south, you can't miss it on top of Mt. Knocknarea on a clear day. But be forewarned, the guidebooks say its a 'leisurely walk' to the summit. Even the B & B landlady told us this. Thus, I didn't prepare well enough and wore the wrong shoes and fell. It is a steep climb over a rocky path and at one point it is so steep that you are looking at your feet. The day we went very few had ventured up and we found out why. The previous rains had turned the 'path' (I use that term loosely) into a stream with moving stones and rocks and mud. Near the top there is no distinguishable path, so be vigilant or you will be climbing steeper than necessary.

Do not be daunted! It is well worth the view and the awesome size of her stone grave (looks like two football fields in length). Just wear good hiking shoes, and off season dress for wind and cold. And for females who like myself have small bladders, drink sparingly. There are no restrooms on the climb and no trees for privacy! If you are modest, you might need to use a cow for a screen!!

approaching the cairn

by kathycollins

The cairn is located near Lough Gill, in Deer Park. It is a peaceful and beautiful place to visit. When we were there we did not see a single person...we had this magnificent place and the acres of rhododendron to ourselves!

Drumcliff church - Yeats grave

by kathycollins

the churchyard in Drumcliff is the site of the final resting place of W B Yeats. No pilgramge to Sligo would be complete without traveling up N15 to visit this churchyard, the 11th century high cross, and the grave of Yeats.

The Wild Swans At...

by Anisha1

The Wild Swans At Coole

by W.B.Yeats.

THE trees are in their autumn beauty,
The woodland paths are dry,
Under the October twilight the water
Mirrors a still sky;
Upon the brimming water among the stones
Are nine-and-fifty Swans.

The nineteenth autumn has come upon me
Since I first made my count;
I saw, before I had well finished,
All suddenly mount
And scatter wheeling in great broken rings
Upon their clamorous wings.

I have looked upon those brilliant creatures,
And now my heart is sore.
All's changed since I, hearing at twilight,
The first time on this shore,
The bell-beat of their wings above my head,
Trod with a lighter tread.

Unwearied still, lover by lover,
They paddle in the cold
Companionable streams or climb the air;
Their hearts have not grown old;
Passion or conquest, wander where they will,
Attend upon them still.

But now they drift on the still water,
Mysterious, beautiful;
Among what rushes will they build,
By what lake's edge or pool
Delight men's eyes when I awake some day
To find they have flown away?

Packing List

by Bodhran

I always pack as if the airline is going to lose my bags. I always take a LARGE purse and my carry on has two changes of clothes and walking shoes and I carry whatever jacket I need. Hiking shoes are a must if going outside the city. In the fall, lots of rain and mud, and many travel books seemed to be based on what young athletes can endure! Fine! But I'm neither and if any of you out there want to get out and about but the last time you ran a marathon was in high school, beware of anything deemed 'leisurely'

It always rains in Ireland so if you don't like rain, don't go there. It was 60F degrees most of the time and quite pleasant if you wear layers. An umbrella is cumbersome so bring a jacket with a hood for those unexpected but thrilling walks on the strand in a gale!!!

Comments