Ardmore Bay, Ardmore, County Waterford, Ireland
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Cliff House Hotel

Food with a view

by SabrinaSummerville about Cliff House Hotel

Hmmm, I see I started a tip on this gorgeous eatery but never wrote the text.

As they have just been awarded a Michelin star, I think I have no option but to return and give you a full blown account of every single morsel.

Even before they got the coveted star, I loved the place.

It' divine, the views are amazing, the service first class, and the food sublime.

a jewel in a charming coastal village

by TripAdvisor Member Josephine08

I was looking for a hotel offering a few days rest & relaxation in charming surroundings and The Cliff House delivered that and much more. The hotel is brand new, rooms are pristine, decorated with cosy autumnal colours, voluminous white bedding, a truly luxurious bath and most particularly the rooms have a VIEW (in my case with a balcony) that is simply breathtaking. All of the staff are attentive, relaxed and friendly - I overheard several offering guests local tips/knowledge and easy chat (something Ireland was noted for once!) all with a 5-Star flourish. Breakfasts are great, everything (including yogurt, breads and jam) is home-made. The bar and large terraces are buzzy and friendly throughout the day without being too noisy (I was there mid-week). We treated ourselves to the dutch Chef Martijn Kajuiter's "tasting menu" which was outstanding, all local ingredients cooked with real flair and style; cleverly presented with smart accompaniments (though not pretentiously overblown). The pool and Spa are terrific and we were offered the opportunity to swim in the sea from the hotel boardwalk - shamefully we didn't manage although the weather for the days we were there was wonderful (in stark contrast to reports from everywhere else). Ardmore is idyllic with a terrific circular 'Cliff Walk' (1hour & not too taxing) leading directly from the Cliff House Hotel door to an exceptional, famously intact Round Tower (from 10th-12thC) and into the village itself. The village has a few quirky bars, a good established restaurant 'The White Horse', a great new cafe 'The Forge' and the famous Ardmore Pottery Shop (which sells much more than pottery by the way) and from my observation seemed irresistible to everyone judging by the abundance of their discreet paper bags. The village is trimmed with a long sandy beach (also a great walk) and a sweet small fishing port beside the hotel from where fishermen in tiny boats regularly check lobster pots along the coastline. Cliff House is a jewel in Ireland's most charming coastal village.

Blissed out on the Cliff Edge

by TripAdvisor Member BoscoDublin

We were desperate for a break, and couldn't face the thought of Dublin Airport. The word of mouth on this new hotel had been excellent, so we thought 'why not'? And I have to say, we weren't disappointed. From a welcome glass of champagne to soothe our frazzled city nerves, to the glorious sound of the sea lapping at the cliff edge, the whole four day trip was like balm to the soul.

Forgetting about the car, we stayed in Ardmore, walking the beautiful cliff path (wellies are provided for muddier days), strolling along the beach by moonlight, and enjoying afternoon naps (amazingly comfy beds) with the balcony windows open and the amazing view beyond.

The food is fantastic, the service friendly, yet professional, - in short this is the kind of place Ireland used to be famed for, yet with a contemporary edge of excellence.

Nearby treats are the Ardmore Pottery, the round tower, the sweet village and the lovely beach. It rained for half our stay, but I can honestly say we didn't care. I'd thoroughly recommend this hotel for sheer loveliness. It will probably save me a fortune in stress counselling in the future!

what a weekend

by TripAdvisor Member juliewolohan

all i can say is anybody who reads this just go and book this hotel i can highly recommend it.my husband and i stayed there in the veranda suite and i have stayed in good hotel suites in ireland but nothing compared to this! the suite was two story and almost as big as my house!there was nothing we could fault from being able to shower under the stars in our fab double shower which extended onto our very private balcony,to the huge stone bath in our ensuite.the lighting alone in these suites are spectacular.food unbelievable here also.staff so friendly and what a spa the views are just fab.we are already in the process of booking for our anniversary in october and stay a bit longer this time as one night just wasnt enough.julie wolohan.midleton

Beautiful Place Rain or Shine

by TripAdvisor Member clifton2a

I have to agree with some of the earlier reviews regarding the amount of non residents wandering around the hotel I appreciate it's only open and people are curious but I think there should be a residents only area as it is the kind of place you are going to to relax and unwind.
We booked one of the two story suites which are wonderful our first day was sunny so it was great having breakfast on our huge balcony overlooking the sea. The second day was pretty wet and stormy but it was still nice looking at the view. Loved the double shower overlooking the sea. found the spa very good and staff friendly. We did have a few issues but hopefully this is just down to the hotel being new and these will be sorted out.
Overall I would recomend the hotel and look forward to going back myself when everything has settled down

A refreshing break

by TripAdvisor Member RingsonTour

The decor is fantastic, nothing safe or bland about this place, and the views are amazing! The pool & outdoor hottub share the wonderful views of Ardmore bay, as do the bar, restaurant, and all bedrooms. Dinner in the bar was excellent, and the staff enthusiastic in learning how to make a 'Snowball'. Wrapped in a fluffy warm pink blanket we drank champagne and adored the stars from our terrace. The next morning we dined al fresco in the sunshine, and were distracted from leaving our room by the local birdlife - fabulous to watch!
Dinner in the restaurant was a little disappointing. It was more delightful to the eye than the palate, and a bit small for our post-surfing appetites. The housekeeping also needs some fine-tuning, but I'm sure this will be ironed out. Our bedroom was refreshingly decorated and the bathroom enjoyable, with a bath I found hard to leave behind. Overall, we loved the place and have no doubt it will be even better next time!

Lovely, but a few teething troubles

by TripAdvisor Member Michelle3076

The hotel had only been open for a couple of months when we stayed, and was still experiencing a few teeething troubles. This did not though, detract from our stay, which was lovely. The view from the hotel is wonderful, and our room had a gorgeous terrace overlooking the bay.

The hotel is not situated in the most happening area, the local village had 2 little restaurants and one shop, but for a couple of days away from it all, the Cliff House was just the ticket.

Our room was a nice size and extremely comfortable. On our last night we had to leave very early in the morning, and were given a simple breakfast on time, and with no chef on duty. Concierge were really delightful and helpful at all times.

Breakfast was great and dinner in the fine dining restaurant really very very good. Michellin star level cooking, which was pricey but worth it. We also ate in the bar. I was given a disgusting mush of 'linguine' (actually noodles) that had been overcooked to oblivion. It was changed immediately for fish and chips, which was great, but obviously my husband had already finished his dinner by then. My main course was not comped and nor were we offered anything else, such as a coffee, for the inconvenience. Shame because that small gesture would have gone a long way.

The pool and spa were great. The gym had a leak due to the rain, so the running machines were not in use. For some reason the canape to the outdoor, cliffside jacuzzi did not have a long enough cover, which meant only half was protected from the rain. No hairdryers in the changing rooms, and the lockers were a bit tempermental, but still better (and bigger) than a lot of other hotel spas I have been to.

The guests were mixed in age, the were a number of younger couples, as well as older groups and couples. There were also a fair number of babies and children staying at the hotel whilst we were there.

The hotel is in a listed building and had trouble getting permission for parts of the rennovation, so it is split over two seperate buildings, covered by a glass roof. This meant that it took two lifts and a fair few corridors to navigate before arriving at our room. Our door also seemed to create a strange vacuum, so that my husband had to pull very hard to get the door open. Fine in reality for us, but possibly not for older guests or for those with disabilities.

Staff were very very professional and pleasant at all times.

The hotel has a weird policy of not stocking the mini-bar in advance of your arrival and then only at your request. You can phone and have it stocked with whatever you want, but when we tried to get a couple of beers, we were told that beer was only available on draft. Not a major headache, I just like having the random options presented by the mini-bar - for late-night munchies and the odd early-evening gin and tonic - without having to plan too much in advance.

Superb - with stunning views over the bay

by TripAdvisor Member gerrygag

A stunning setting, off the beaten track, but well worth a visit. A very friendly staff who provide excellent service to their guests. The drop down effect of the building is amazing. You get the impression that you are cruising in the sea with various decks of your ship below you. The restaurant - food and service was second to none. All in all a wonderful experience.

Simply Amazing!

by TripAdvisor Member Gurg

Stayed for 3 nights at this new hotel located in Ardmore, a picturesque village on the coast of Ireland. The village has about 5 beautiful beaches in close proximity and a great place for fishing off the pier. The hotel is just gorgeous! Our room overlooked the sea and was spotless and beatifully decorated. The bathroom had a separate shower and a wonderful deep bath with lovely fluffy towels (of which there was no shortage). We had a choice of eating in the restaurant or in the bar and we did both over the course of the 3 nights we stayed there. Both the restaurant and bar food were just mouth watering and served with such flair and style.
We were exceptionally impressed with the hotel at all levels, the management and staff are so friendly and could not do enough to make our visit more pleasurable.
You have to visit the spa to believe it - the jazuzzi is open on one side to the sea!!
You should definitely visit here - you will not be disappointed.

Location! Location! Location!

by TripAdvisor Member Weekend-holidaymaker

Stayed here for 2 nights for a romantic break and had a wonderful time overall. Our room had a small terrace (c. 2m x 3m) at €240/night incl breakfast, booked from the hotel's own website.

The good bits - blissful location, with fab views over Ardmore Bay; the sound of water lapping over the rocks below, the absolute silence from the terrace only broken by the occasional cry of a seagull; the bathroom had a wow factor in terms of lovely mosaic tiles, colour, shower, stand-alone bath, Etro toiletries, extremely fluffy towels and bathrobes; In general, service was very friendly.

We enjoyed a wonderful meal in the restaurant - a very high standard of food and service, worthy of a Michelin star - albeit with prices to match (almost).

The not-so-good bits - house-keeping did not replace glasses from our room and many left outside rooms for an entire day; We phoned to Reception to get these and other items replaced, but only some were; The table and chairs on our mini-terrace were infested with insects - not encouraging their use; Finding your way around the hotel - from the rooms block to the bar/reception/restaurant/spa block could be confusing (but no more than that) - they could do with a map showing the various elevators;

We had food in The Bar the night before eating in the restaurant, but cannot recommend it . One of us returned a main course and this was replaced by another - but still charged for one of them. My partner did not enjoy his small portion of fish and greasy chips either.

We were fortunate with one day of glorious weather, so chose to make the most of Armore's beach rather than partake of the Spa - which, however, looks good with a 15m pool and outside jacuzzi.

A small note about Ardmore - we did not try the White Horses restaurant, which looked pleasant enough, but with a fairly standard menu; Two pubs were open the night we went down to the village - Keevers was the busier of the two, but seemed very much the haunt of locals and not particularly friendly to outsiders; An Tobar was far more friendly - maybe because it was not quite as busy?! The Forge cafe was very pricey for the small portions of lunch we were served (and very slow service).

Temple Dysert (Dysert Church)Temple Dysert (Dysert Church)

Local pottery.Local pottery.

Best dinner ever !!!Best dinner ever !!!

Comments