Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Club

Booking.com Priceline.com Tingo.com

Costs 42% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Country Manor Paradise

This late eighteenth century manor house and grounds was bought by the McInerney building group in or around 1997. They used much of the grounds to develop a wonderful eighteen hole golf course, and some very upmarket houses and holiday homes.

The building itself was extended and renovated extensively and very tastefully and is now the home of a very luxurious four star hotel known as Faithlegg House Hotel, part of the Tower group of hotels. When one visits this hotel one cannot but wonder where they are losing the fifth star as the attention to detail is indeed excellent.

There is a terrific restaurant with excellent food and a big bar which occupies several rooms, so there is a feeling of comfort and privacy. Bar food is served on request and the menu is varied.

Guests can make use of the lovely leisure centre and also the championship parkland golf course, one of the more challenging golf courses in Ireland.

The grounds are spectacular, but most of them are not open for leisure walking because of the golf course.

From the back of the hotel there are amazing views over the river and its estuary.

It's well worth a visit so spoil yourself. It is a true haven of tranquility.

Unique Quality: The gardens, the views, the very tasteful decor - in fact the project manager on the renovation of Faithlegg was also the project manor on my office renovation so I have a particular fondness for this place.

Directions: About five miles from Waterford City heading in the direction of Cheekpoint Village.

More about Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Club

Magnifique

by SabrinaSummerville about La Boheme

When Masterchef Eric Theze and his wife Christine told me they planned to open their own restaurant they immediately got my attention. For a number of years Eric had been Head Chef at the renowned Faithlegg House Hotel in Co. Waterford and the thought of him having freedoom of gastronomic expression in his own premises was truly exciting.

As it turned out, the reality far outstripped anything I could have imagined. La Boheme is by far the ebst restaurant in Waterford City at present and I look forward with relish to an evening out there.

The premises itself is absolutely delightful. Situated in the basement of the old Waterford Port Authority building it's all original stone walls and vaults. The restaurant consists of a comfortable bar area for pre-and post-dinner drinks, a large dining room, and a number of smaller ante-rooms for small parties and private dining. The floor are flagstone to complement the stone walls and the furnishings are much in keeping with the theme.

Off the corridor leading to the bathrooms is a wrought iron staircase which is gated and upon which the wines are artfully stored.

One thing that I find particularly delightful is the collection of miscellaneous bone china that's used for tea and coffee service. It's all random and all beautiful and redolent of tea inn Granny's drawing room. Apart from that, each course is served on a wide variety of plates and platters to suit the particular dish. The food is exciting and orgasmically tasty. The menu is varied season to season and, apart from the staples, there are specials every night.

On my last visit I started with a generous amuse bouche of a chilled soup together with a foie gras lollipop the likes of which I have never tasted before and left me longing for more.

This was followed by a scallop and prawn salad. The shellfish was succulent and the salad varied and crisp. Seasoned with a raspberry vinaigrette, it was garnished with Autumn berries, pink grapefruit, and orange. One taste complimented the next without beiing overpowering.

For the main course I decided on the venison, as it was Autumn and perfectly in season. Venison can be tricky, and not everyplace serves it perfectly - but Eric does it at La Boheme.

I skipped dessert and went straight for the cheese plate. At La Boheme they present a variety of ten or more wonderful local and international cheeses on a trolley and allow you to choose as much, as many, or as few as you wish. These are served with a variety of biscuits and fruit.

I finished with some wonderfully strong coffee and excellent petit fours.

There's an eclectic wine list and a full bar licence.

This restaurant has to be experienced. Quite simply, it's sperb.

by TripAdvisor Member GMcKeown

Stayed in Faithlegg House Hotel whilst attending a two day conference. Was very impressed with the standard of the bedrooms and the hotel in general. We ate in the hotel for breakfast, lunch and dinner and I have to say the food was amazing. The staff looked after us really well...couldn't have asked for better!

Shabby, Slovenly, Ill maintained... Never again

by TripAdvisor Member Noel_Kelly

I spent Friday and Saturday nights in Faithlegg House hotel with my partner. We were attending a wedding and looked forward to an additional breakaway from Dublin. Our experience upon arrival was to say the least inadequate. The room we were provided (#163) was extremely shabby and ill maintained. The light fixture over the bathroom sink was falling out of its recessed socket, and looked ready to fall out at any stage. The curtains looked grey and dull and were ripped in the middle. The tiling in the bathroom appeared to be unfinished under the sinks.

I ordered a bottle of champagne to be ready in our room. This was placed without much thought and looked as if there was a general level of disinterest in making our stay a pleasurable one. We tried to raise these issues but found that the staff were extremely unhelpful. In fact, some that we spoke to seemed to be in the process of leaving employment, or as one person who was serving on our table noted "This is my last day, thank god". When finally we checked out and could raise our displeasure properly, we received the glib reply of a shoulder shrug and the comment that "the rooms are planned for renovation soon."

The charges in this hotel would lead me to expect a much higher level of service. The rates are in keeping with the Bangkok Oriental, but the service was nothing more than I would have expected in a slovenly roadside motel.

Good Spot for Golfers

by TripAdvisor Member Spyderwood

We stayed three nights at the Faithlegg House for a golf holiday. For that purpose, it was quite nice and met our expectations. If you are not a golfer, I'm not sure you would feel the same. The golf course was challenging (of course, in my case, any golf course is a challenge), well-maintained, not crowded and beautiful. The hotel and grounds were also very nice. Agree with one reviewer who commented on the parking - it could be a bit scary for someone alone at night. On the one hand, it is nice that the parking is "around back" - it helps keep up the stately appearance of the mansion and golf facilities - but on the other hand, it's not terribly convenient. Food and rooms at the hotel were pretty typical, but not bad. We actually ate most of our lunches in the golf course restaurant, then went into Waterford for dinner in the evenings. Staff service was sort of mixed. One minute, we received helpful, friendly service, and the next minute got a sneer. Oh well. As I said, we were there for golf, so enjoyed it overall, but if we had been there for some other reason, I'm not so sure we would have enjoyed it so much. The service at the golf facilities - both the restaurant and the pro shop - was consistently good, which leads me to believe that this place caters more to the golfers than the other guests, or at the very least, puts their best staff in the golf facilities.

Exceeded Expectations

by TripAdvisor Member dlbintheoc

My wife and I took our mothers for a week stay in Ireland and stayed at the Faithlegg Mews. We had a lovely time. First, Faithlegg House (the hotel) is beautiful to look at. Our mothers were very impressed when we drove up to check in.

When we drove down the street to the Mews, they were still impressed. The Mews are self-service two story town homes that appear to be primary and /or second homes that are on the rental market. I would guess they were built in the last 5-7 years. The Mews have a downstairs kitchen and dining area and a living room. Upstairs there are two bedrooms and 1.5 bathrooms. One bedroom had a double bed in it. The other had two twin beds. There were linens for all beds.

The space is cozy and very well laid out. The kitchens had dishes and utensils. It was very clean and we are able to operate everything. There is a stove, oven, refrigerator, dishwasher, clothes washer and dryer and a fireplace. We used all but the oven during our stay.

There is a small store in Creek side about five minutes down the road from Faithlegg. We got eggs, bread and milk and cooked breakfast in our apartment every morning. It was a nice cost saver and a pleasant way to start the day.

Faithlegg has a wonderful golf course that we could use. We could also use the hotel’s pool and gym facilities for a minor charge, we availed ourselves to this and had a wonderful swim and steam. We went into the piano bar one night for dinner and to listen to the pianist. He was excellent. The piano bar area and bar area have a great feel to them. Very lovely spaces. We also ate in the dining room one night. The staff was very gracious and accommodating. When we went there, the restaurant had a fixed price menu. Dinner would have cost the four of use more than $300.00. It would have been worth it, but we were not that hungry. Instead, the waiter let us order off the bar menu or order anything ala carte of the menu. 10 euros for an appetizer or desert and 28 euros for any entree. It worked out perfectly.

Faithlegg is about 10-15 minutes outside of Waterford. It is quite rural so there is no where to walk to. There is plenty of good walking around the golf course. We drove everywhere. This was not a deterrent. It actually added to the charm of the place.

I would recommend this place to anyone. Be aware that in the Mews, you have to bring your own soap and shampoo and there is no maid service. The unit is cleaned before you arrive but not again until you leave. We ran out of toilet paper. Technically, you have to go out and buy some more. I asked for some more at the hotel’s front desk and received two new rolls, enough for our stay. There was an energy charge at the end of our stay, 17.5 euros for five nights. I did not mind paying this as we had the heaters cranked due to the cold weather.

PS: In Creekside, we had a wonderful dinner at McAlpin’s Pub. You can split every entree as they are large portions. Again, this is about a 5-10 minute drive from Faithlegg away from Waterford.

Not bad but not great

by TripAdvisor Member carlaIreland

My partner and I stayed at this hotel recently as we wanted to get away for a romantic break. We stayed 3 nights in total.

The drive up the hotel is impressive and it had a lovely exterior.
We were staying in one of the master rooms which was a little dated but very large and with a great bathroom. Nice high celings and great views over the estate.

We had dinner in the restaurant and the food was excellent with a nice wine list. Service was very good and the staff were friendly.

I had a number of treatments in the beauty salon and they were disappointing. The facial was very basic and I was left alone in the room with a face mask on two separate occasions. It was expensive and I could hear all the people coming and going from the adjacent fitness centre. Not conducive to relaxation !

There is a nice reading room off the bar with great views over the garden but the main bar lacked athmosphere.

One one evening the downstairs wedding went on till 4am with singing and roaring the entire time. I did not sleep at all one of the nights we were there and this spolied my stay.

Over all I would say its fine if you are on a golfing holiday but it lacked athmosphere and life and doesn't have that 'something special' that would encourage a return

nice to get away

by TripAdvisor Member aa_Dublin

excellent place for a few days away. alot of painting going on while we were there but it didnt affect us at all. pity about the wheather but i still got a few rounds of golf in.

i will def. return

Lacks attention to detail

by TripAdvisor Member lorna1972

We booked into Faithlegg Mews, the self-catering houses attached to the hotel and golf club, as we were attending a friend's wedding. Having stayed in similar 4* self-catering accommodation before, we thought we knew what to expect. Unfortunately, Faithlegg was very underwhelming. The house was a good size, but the furnishings and fittings left much to be desired. The carpets were covered in stains and the shower door in the main bedroom was broken. The kitchen was kitted out with the bare minimum - not even a cloth or a dishwasher tablet! Don't expect any toiletries in the bathrooms either - we were told that "strictly self-catering" means no toiletries are provided and cleaning takes place once a week. In addition, there was no hairdryer and the iron was broken (not what you need when trying to get ready for a wedding!) When we mentioned these problems to the reception staff, we found them very unhelpful and made to feel like 2nd class hotel guests, despite the €180 a night charge. The icing on the cake is the €5 a day surcharge for "ever increasing electricity costs" - despite the fact the house was cold and had storage heating, so we had no way of heating it up on the first night. Places like this really live up to the reputation of "rip off Ireland", I'm afraid.

Beautiful hotel with a few little oddities

by TripAdvisor Member hokiemjs

We stayed here as part of a tour. The hotel is beautiful from the outside, the food was good, and the staff was very nice and friendly. The rooms were a bit small, though. We couldn't make a call without talking to the front desk first, the door lock stuck and was hard to open. Generally, though, things were nice.

Comments