Tramore, Waterford, County Waterford, Ireland
Booking.com AMOMA.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Waterford

Uncle Christy Dalton, left, Dad right, c. 1957Uncle Christy Dalton, left, Dad right, c. 1957

Exterior of BodegaExterior of Bodega

Stylish InteriorStylish Interior

Looking across to GinosLooking across to Ginos

Waterford to Kilmacow?

by richvenezia

I am looking to visit Kilmacow (Co. Kilkenny) while in Dublin this fall, and am wondering if I can get there from Waterford? Whether it be by bus, taxi, etc. My family hails from there, and I would love to see where I am from.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

by leics

Kilmacow is about 5 miles from Waterford, so a taxi won't cost you too much (hopefully!).

I've explored the timetables on www.buseireann.ie a bit, but the local Waterford services don't all display properly for me so I can't see which bus will serves Kilmacow. I think there will almost certainly be one. Unless another VT-er can help, I suggest you email the Waterford Tourist Information people for info:

Waterford - South East Tourism, The Granary Building, The Quay, Waterford.
Tel: Int. + 353 (0)51 875788
Fax: Int. + 353 (0)51 877388
info@southeasttourism.ie

by tony2phones

Your best bet would be a taxi, there may be a community bus service or a once a week regular service but for 5 miles a cab would be the best option. Contact DJ Taxi's and get a price for a drop and return or a 2hour hire.

Hi, I'm from Waterford.

I'd recommend getting a taxi. You should be able to pick one up right outside the train station or bus station, depending which way you arrive in the City. The train station is on the Kilkenny side of the City and so very close to Kilmacow.

If you don't get a cab at the station, try ringing Falconers http://www.falconerandsons.com/. They are a long established firm of undertakers and limousine/cab drivers and are used by all the major cruise ships etc when they come to the city. They have both cabs and limousines and are efficient and very knowledgeable.

Get back to me if you want to know more.

by richvenezia

You've all been very helpful, thanks so much for your input!

I am booked on Buseirann to Waterford on Saturday, and wrote down the numbers of all those cab companies should I not find one outside the bus station.

Wish me luck in my ancestral search!

Many thanks again:)

Cheers,
Rich

by leics

Enjoy! I'll keep my fingers crossed for some decent weather! :-)

by richvenezia

Thanks, leics, that's sweet!

It wound up being sunny for my first few hours, and then a bit of drizzling rain, so not too bad! Not the most successful of family-hunting days, but I'm glad I went! I wound up visiting Waterford for a bit afterwards, which is such a cute city.

If anyone were to take this journey, the taxi ride isn't too bad at all - 10 or 15 minutes, and just under 12 euro, so not terribly expensive.

by leics

I'm really pleased you had a successful trip, even if the family heritage side wasn't huge.

And you saw the sun too! Excellent! :-)

by SabrinaSummerville

I hope our city was kind to you:-)

Travel Tips for Waterford

Historic sites of Waterford

by HORSCHECK

Explore the historic sites of Waterford. The cylindrical Reginald's Tower is Irelands most historic urban monument which is more than a thousand years old. The tower is located in the quay area of the city. Not far away are the impressive medieval city walls and the ruined French Church from 1240 (see photo).

Irish gaelic language

by HORSCHECK

Ireland has a strong gaelic culture. To promote the irish gaelic language, most roadsigns are bilingual: english and irish gaelic. The irish gaelic language is usually known just as irish. The photo shows a bilingual roadsign for Waterford (Port Lairge).

Woodstown

by SabrinaSummerville

In my introduction to Waterford you will have read that the County is proud to boast many wonderful beaches.

The one we visited a lot when we were young was Woodstown. Drive out the Dunmore East Road and take the left fork at the signpost for Woodstown/Dunmore.

I remember my face stinging with salt water and sun at the end of a day running wild on the beach. At that stage of the evening my Dad would always treat us to lemonade and crisps at the Saratoga bar and we would sit outside on the grass with our impromptu picnic. The Saratoga is still going strong and is most recently famous as Richard Gere drinks here when he visits Waterford.

The sand is soft and powdery on this beach, but as you head towards the water it becomes muddy as the river meets the ocean in this area so you get a lot of silt.

That saying, it's a lovely place to come to walk on the long beach, or to soak up the sun. It's inclined to be a quiet place, and indeed the only pub is the aforementioned Saratoga.

There's a long grassy area behind the beach and we used to have many picnics here. You will see why it was named Woodstown, as there are lots of deep woods around it. It has not been spoiled by the development that has devoured much of rural Ireland.

Jackie Kennedy also used to come here on her holidays many years ago, so you certainly won't be slumming it:-)

One final tip - when the tide is out it's a great place to forage for cockles.

Food With Taste

by SabrinaSummerville about Chez K's

ANOTHER GREAT PLACE THAT HAS CLOSED ITS DOORS IN EARLY 2008. I BELIEVE A NEW OWNER IS POISED TO TAKE OVER, BUT IT REMAINS CLOSED AS AT MAY 2008.

tHAT SAYING, THE PREVIOUS OWNER RUNS A TERRIFIC SEAFOOD RESTAURANT IN DUNMORE EAST KNOWN AS THE SPINNAKER - SEE MY DUNMORE EAST PAGES.

Chez K's changed hands about two years ago and the new owners, Niall and Maria Edmondson, have given the whole place an upmarket but available twist.

The restaurant is large and airy.

The front area is wonderful to sit in and have a drink while you wait for your table. There's a full and well stocked bar.

The tables are set a fair distance from each other - there's nothing worse than hearing your neighbours conversation.

There's a seperate curtained off area near the back which is ideal for small private parties.

A grand piano graces the centre of the room and live piano music is to be heard regularly.

The whole atmosphere is that of fun with brightly painted walls, modern paintings by local artists adorning the walls, and an open kitchen.

The menu is varied and everything tastes simply divine. There is a special four course menu at 69 euro for two people including a bottle of wine. Outside of that the a la carte menu has dishes ranging from about 8 euro for a starter to 30 euro for the most expensive main course. It's worth every penny.

Ask for Gerry, the restaurant Manager - he's young, excellent, and has been with the place from the start. He's genuinely interested in the business and will help advise you on the best dish of the day.

There's an extensive wine list - indeed Niall Edmondson has worked as Manager of several renowned five star hotels and knows what he's at. I adore the assiette of seafood in a light cocunut curry mousseline sauce. The combination of flavours electrifies your tastebuds.

Gone but not Forgotten

by SabrinaSummerville about O'Grady's Restaurant

The O'Gradys have sadly sold up shop and gone to France.

This is unfortunate, as they were great!

The only reason that I'm posting this at all is that when I went to create my restaurant tips, this place wa sone of only about five choices thrown up by the system.

The premises formerly occupied by O'Gradys is now occupied by Fitzpatricks restaurant - not in the same league at all, but that will be the subject of a seperate review.

Comments