Reades Hillview Farmhouse Accommodation

Lukeswell, Mullinavat, Waterford, Ireland

More about Waterford

Christ Church CathedralChrist Church Cathedral

One of the walkwaysOne of the walkways

With another niece in the Castle gardensWith another niece in the Castle gardens

Outside - some seating here tooOutside - some seating here too

Waterford tour reservation

by Rbean

Help please! I read in a guide book that a reservation is needed for the Waterford factory tour. My husband and I will be there in August.

RE: Waterford tour reservation

by orlikins

turn up early and you won't have to.
The waterford crystal factory is very popular in the summer with the coach tours but they won't arrive til later on in the day.

RE: Waterford tour reservation

by jchoats

We were just in Waterford last week and we got there at around 11:00 am. No problems getting in and only a few tour buses were there. Personally, I didn't want to go and it was not worth the diversion. You can buy Waterford anywhere in the country for the same price.

Travel Tips for Waterford

Wexford - Irish National Heritage-park

by globetrott

Wexford - Irish National Heritage Park

Wexford is a small town in the south of Ireland and well known to many tourists as a ferry-port to Great Britain.The most interesting place is that museum with exhibits of all ages of settlement in Ireland.
The National Heritage Museum shows plenty of different types of accomodations and ways of transport in Irelands past.
This is a boat of the "Viking-time"

Climb the Comeraghs

by SabrinaSummerville

I'm sure that most people around the world would consider them big hills, but we like to call the local range of, eh, big hills The Comeragh Mountains.

It's a terrific place to go for a day out in the country. I remember when we were little kids my parents would regularly bring us during the summer, we would take a picnic and a little stove, run wild through the heather and walk barefoot in the winding stream and the pools at the base of the waterfall.

Oh yes, the waterfall is known as Mahon falls and is very pretty at any time of the year. OK, it's not exactly Angel Falls, but it is the Irish version of a waterfall. I guess we are renowned for our little leprechauns so you might well say that we have leprechaun sized mountains and waterfalls:-)

You can get to these mountains by driving out of Waterford in the direction of Cork, and taking the turn off to the right which is well marked.

When you're up the Comeragh drive there's a place where they say the cars will run forward, uphill, even with the engines swiched off - some freak of gravity I think.

It's a wonderful place to take photographs, too. I'll post a couple of mine here for you to see.

Chow Down at the Local

by SabrinaSummerville about The Uluru/Outback Bar

The Uluru would be my "local" - i.e. my bar of choice for meeting pals and eating great bar food.

Uluru is the Aboriginal word for Ayers Rock and the Uluru follows through on the Ozzie theme with many Australian bar staff and at least one Aboriginal chef.

The bar is said to be one of the top ten busiest in Ireland, and if you come here you can see why. The atmosphere is casual, lots of wood, and plenty of staff to make sure you are well looked after. There are two sections, one dedicated more to the "regular" drinker who comes to watch the sports on TV, and the other section where people meet and greet with a DJ box and great music. There's also a seperate outdoor smoking area to comply with the smoking laws.

I'll do a seperate note on night life at the Uluru, but this is a litte tip on the food.

They have a carvery seven days a week, and it really is superior in every way. There are five or six main courses to choose from each day, a selection of mouth watering desserts, or if you prefer you can order just soup and a pannini or sandwich. They will make your roll or sandwich fresh to your requirements. I love to order the hot roast of the day in a big crusty roll with a bowl of homemade soup.

They do "baby bowls" free of charge, half portions for children and the elderly at half price, and the portions on the standard meals are enormous. Don't expect to be fooled, though - they do not give more attention to quantity over quality ..... they concentrate on both.

Once the carvery is finished they serve bar food from a very varied menu, which includes Ozzie specials such as crocodile steak and Ostrich.

It's bar food at its best, the staff are really friendly and the locals will chat to you.

It's a great place to stop off for lunch on the road to Dunmore East, or a nice 15 minute walk towards town from the lovely Woodlands hotel. I like the roast sirloin of beef cut straight from the joint right before your eyes, served with home made Yorkshire puddings, juicy gravy, and plenty of veg,

Delectable Jumbo Prawns

by SabrinaSummerville about Mai Thai

BY WAY OF UPDATE, THIS LOVELY PLACE IS NO LONGER TRADING. SAD:-(

This delightful Thai restaurant on three stories opened in Waterford about five months ago and, apart from some unfortunate stories of teething problems at the start, is now a great place for some really good Thai food.

The restaurant is situated on the Quay in Waterford and is almost directly opposite the bus station. It is also just five minutes walk from the train station and is therefore an ideal place to eat if you're travelling to or from the City. The view from the window seats is of the river and it's pleasant to sit there and watch the boats as you eat.

The interior decor is wonderful - a great mix of stripped stone walls, heavy wood, and Thai upholstery and authentic ornamentation. On the second storey there's a wonderful canopied love seat with silk-covered cushions where you'd love to languish with your lover anjoying a Mai Thai special coffee (a version of Irish coffee that uses Thai whiskey).

The service is quick and efficient, the food tasty and good. Between three of us today we ordered the barbecued duck, the lemon chicken, and the jumbo prawns. We tasted a bit of each, and each of the three of us had a different favourite dish. The fried rice was clean and mixed with tiny vegetables and meat pieces. Lots of places just serve a mix of brown coloured sticky rice that you just know is full of fat.

With our coffees they brought a bowl of the tastiest thin biscuits and then a plate of chocolates. The kitchen was closed by then so we couldn't order desserts, but we didn't really need them.

There's a special lunch menu that offers great value for money, and they will also let you order from a la carte for lunch. I won't mark the price panel, as prices vary very much depending on which menu you order from.

I will definitely be back. The jumbo barbecued prawns. I love prawns, and these were really tasty.

Tour The Beaches

by SabrinaSummerville

Waterford is a coastal City and is lucky to have many truly wonderful beaches and seaside towns within fifteen to thirty minutes drive of the City centre. Of course, other beaches are further away so here I'm going to just deal with the closer ones.

Most people, when they think of Waterford, think of Tramore. Others will be familiar with Dunmore - equally popular but in an entirely different way.

Not so many of you will have heard of (or even find in the guide books) Saleens, Bonmahon, the back strand in Tramore, or Woodstown. Each one is very different, and each is a delight. To guide you towards your particular taste in beach, I plan to write a seperate tip on each of them. I will post some of them under "Off the Beaten Path", because they really are local secret spots.

Tramore and Dunmore both have regular bus services from the City. Otherwise you can catch a taxi easily and at reasonable costs.

Hope to see you there sometime soon :-)

Comments