Rice Guesthouse

Satisfaction Average

More about Waterford

Along the coast near TramoreAlong the coast near Tramore

Frolicking in the Tramore watersFrolicking in the Tramore waters

Rustic and comfortable interiorRustic and comfortable interior

ShotsShots

Menu

by VeronicaHolland

I am trying to arrange a weekend for 12 ladies in Waterford, and wonder if it is possible for me to have a copy of your menu.
I have forwarded you my email address.

RE: Menu

by lfc

think you have the wrong site

RE: RE: Menu

by Maurizioago

Yes, this is Virtual Tourist, a travel related site.

Ciao!

RE: RE: Menu

by SabrinaSummerville

I'm from Waterford and have featured a number of restaurants on my site, but it sounds to me as if you think you've been emailing the restaurant directly. maybe that's why you haven't had a reply to your other email?

Travel Tips for Waterford

The Bla

by SabrinaSummerville

The bla is a soft round floury bread roll that is unique to County Waterford. The best way to eat them is when they have come fresh from the bakery first thing in the morning, dripping with melting real butter.

A favourite treat is the rasher bla, which consists of one of these floury breads soaked in butter and filled with freshly grilled rashers of bacon.

I once had an office beside a deli and spent a year eating rasher blas for breakfast - I've never managed to lose all the weight I put on that year;-)

The best places to buy these delicacies are at gas stations with delis, or small local supermarkets with delis.

Kiteboarding

by SabrinaSummerville

I didn't even know this sport existed until quite recently.

Regularly on a Saturday or Sunday I will take a walk on the three mile long Tramore beach, and I was surprised to see all the kiteboarders out on the last windy, sunny day that the tide was out.

Kiteboarding is a bit like skateboarding, but it is more an extreme sport by reason of the fact that it is dependant on the wind and when it whips up to a strong gale it's quite dangerous. Oh, to explain - the "skateboarders" tie giant kites to their boards and "surf" the sand, propelled along by the breeze. They have to be careful that they're not dragged into the sea!

It took my breath away just to watch them.

The sport takes place on Tramore beach on clear windy days - if you just wander along the beach you cannot miss them and the kiteboards are there to rent. A kiteboard - rent one on the beach. Bring knee pads and a helmet - though these can be rented, too.

Bonmahon Beach

by SabrinaSummerville

If you drive out the road from Waterford City in the direction of Cork and travel as far as Kilmeaden Village, take a left and follow the signs for Bonmahon and you will find yourself in the most delightful beach area.

We used to come here a lot when we were younger and I recall one November afternoon we ventured out swimming in the sea and the waves were huge. I would have been a young teenager at the time and I have never forgotten the breathlessness of this experience.

Bonmahon is a lovely secluded beach and not many kow about it, so you'll be sure to have a peaceful sunbathe or beach walk here.

There are lovely and interesting rock formations that make great subjects for the avid photographer.

You could, if you wished, forage for mussels on these rocks and children happily and safely play in the rock pools.

If you get hungry there's a nice little chip shop in the village, and a pub for a cool pint of beer.

The direct access to the beach is hard to spot and most recently when I was there I got onto the beach through a slipway beside a pub. Keep an eye out for parked cars and you'll find the beach entrance there.

I told you it was secluded:-)

Comfort Food at Comfortable Prices

by SabrinaSummerville about The Brasserie

This little place has been around for many years, but as it's casual in nature I end up eating there only rarely.

Today was one of those rare occasions and, as on all those other similar instances, I promise myself I'll come back more often.

It was pouring rain outside and the queue for a table was out the door - but it moved fast and we were very quickly seated at a clean oilcloth covered table in the window looking out at all the poor bedraggled wet people outside.

The menu was called "Lunch Menu" but was vast with dishes ranging upwards in price from a starting point of €5.00. There are soups, sandwiches, pastas, burgers, salads, seafood goujons.....pretty much something to tickle every tastebud.

I ordered the house pizza which was a 10" thick base pizza with very generous toppings. At €14.95 it wasn't the cheapest thing on the menu but was so substantial that I couldn't finish it. I greedily scraped off and ate all the topping and left about three quarters of the base. It was totally yummy.

My companion had the all day breakfast - two sausages, two slices of bacon, hash browns, mushrooms, fried egg, and beans. Again, large and generous helpings and this came with a full bowl of chips.

For the breakfast, the pizza, two teas, a latte and a bottled water the bill was €35. Nothing at all wrong with that.

The only fault I found with the place is that the carpet on the stairs to the bathroom is filthy and really needs to be replaced asap. It lets the rest of this well run establishment down.

Everyone stops at the Crystal...

by kathycollins

Everyone stops at the Crystal Factory. The tour is interesting. To tell the truth, I liked Kinsale Crystal better. Waterford is more or less mass produced and the technique for cutting the design is shallower and less sparkling than the old-fashioned style used by Kinsale Crystal. I really am a crystal affectionado so I have strong preferances! (that didn't stop me from finding some lovely candlesticks to take home, however!!) The showrooms are full of chandeliers, trophies, a huge grandfathers clock - lots of pretty sparkles!

Comments