The Fitzwilton Hotel

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about The Fitzwilton Hotel

Dreadfully Disappointing

by SabrinaSummerville about Chez K's - Fitzwilton Hotel

A couple of years ago there was a superb restaurant in Waterford called Chez K's. It moved from older premises to new, changed hands, and just got better and better.

Then the new owners closed the business and moved to a different type of restaurant business in Dunmore East and the whole idea of Chez K's became a distant memory. Rumours abounded that the amazing manager of the former Chez K's was negotiating to buy out the lease, but the an Italian restaurant opened (and flopped) on the premises and we figured it was all just rumour.

Then the glamorous Fitzwilton ffour star boutique hotel opened in what most would think of as perhaps not the best site in town and, lo and behold, Chez K's was reborn at the Fitzwilton complete with Gerry the former Manager.

We didn't get to try it until today, and in retrospect that was perhaps a good thing and we won't be rushing back.

The decor is nice - bistro style, with high ceilings, mood lighting, and vibrant modern art on the walls.

Our waitress, Siobhan, was lovely and efficient and on duty alone. Later one of the hotel staff came to help her when a pre-booked large party arrived. Other than us, there was nobody else in the restarurant. The bread was tomato & fennel plus brown. They were both home made and absolutely gorgreous.

My sister and I started with the warm smoked salmon salad. How could they get that wrong? But they did. The salmon was icy cold and served with one type of salad leaf only plus some tasty piquant sauce. Now there is a major difference between warm and cold anything, but especially smoked salmon which cooks slightly when warmed. We passed on our complaints to the chef.

My Mother had a bacon potato cake with fried curly kale and a quarter of a scotch egg. I could be wrong but I'd swear they bought the scotch egg pre-made in a local deli because it didn't taste either fresh or tasty; plus to me the bacon and cabbage duo was too salty.

Main courses were chicken with sausage and nut stuffing (sister), roast beef (Mum), and beer battered haddock (me).

The first shock was that the three plates were brought to the table with one single-sized portion of veg between the three of us.

The second shock was my fish - it looked for all the world as if it had been pre-fried, trimmed of batter to make it easier to store, and then re-fried so that there were straight lines at either end with the fish showing through. I'll add pics to illustrate.

The other dishes were passable, except for the yorkshire pudding on Mum's roast beef. While it was definitely home made, the chef clearly hasn't mastered the trick of adding the batter to really hot fat with the result that this was the ugliest yorkshire pud I have ever seen (again, pics to demonstrate). Complaints to the chef produced one more plate of veg.

I was looking forward to my dessert and opted for chocolate brownies as my young nephew fancied sharing. Disaster. There was no taste of chocolate from what appears to have been a christmas-pudding type mix with a bag of slivered almonds thrown in.

Price-wise, it's €20 a head for three courses and tea/coffee. They took off the cost of the 2 smoked salmon meals. We weren't a bit happy and won't be back.

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member ThePaddy

We arrived at the Fitzwilton Hotel for a 2 day midweek break. On first impressions it was very nice, its a relatively new hotel. The room was lovely, very boutique style. It didn't have any gym facilities (as far as we could see) but we didn't mind that.

We had 2 breakfasts and one meal included in the price, the breakfast was very nice, standard irish breakfast, perfect when you're hungover, they did also offer a continential breakfast.

We had our paid dinner in the restaurant on the second night. It took a while to have our order taken, we were waiting at least 30 minutes and it all went downhill from there! My chicken starter was not served with salad as per the menu and it severely lacked any taste (a LOT of salt was added by me!!), then around 45 minutes later my main course arrived, I had ordered a medium steak with red onion marmalade, peppercorn sauce and also blue cheese sauce and a side order of mash, instead I got a well done steak, onion that seemed to be just thrown in a pan for a while and then thrown on the plate, the sauce was either of the above, instead it was gravy and a side of partially cooked sliced potatoes! Needless to say I wasn't happy. I did eat some of the dinner but sent it back.

The waitress checked her order, it had been given to the chef correctly, she apologised and said the chef apologised. This didn't really make up for the awful dinner I had.

It put a complete dampner on the whole experience.

As I said, it was a lovely hotel but definitely wouldn't go back as the restaurant was a complete disappointment

Good hotel but a little rowdy

by TripAdvisor Member Irishcurls

Stayed in the Fitzwilton as a romantic getaway with my boyfriend, it was fairly rowdy as there seemed to be several hen parties going on, definately not a hotel I'd bring kids to but it had a good lively atmosphere for younger people. The rooms and hotel decor are lovely, nice and stylish but unfortunately the clientele of the hen parties does tend to bring it down a level. Our room was tiny, very small double bed but clean and modern with all the facilities you'd expect. The breakfasts were the only real fault of the stay, not up to four star standard at all, very stingy and little choice. The way everyone had to queue up along the cooked food counter reminded me of being in a canteen. Some friends stayed here a few weeks after us and said that the alarm went off about three times on the Saturday night so they got hardly any sleep, I can well imagine this happening as it does cater for a rather rowdy bunch. I'd recommend others to stay here if they went to Waterford but as a relaxing weekend in Ireland it definately wouldnt be my first choice.

Lift horror

by TripAdvisor Member doownelg

Ihave just returned from The Fitzwilton in Waterford. The Hotel was very central. Bar and Restaurant were excellent very good food in both. Breakfast was plentiful and tasty and would keep you going for the whole day. Rooms were spacious Bed extremely comfortable and duvet was sumptious.Bathroom spotless and big,plenty of toiletries.Though room wasnt cleaned or hoovered the 3 days we were there and going by the layers and thickness of dust on back of bed hadnt been polished in quite a while didnt help my allergies.But and this was a major problem for me you could only access the room by lift there wasnt any stairs.I have a dreadful fear of lifts after getting stuck for several hours in one some years ago I never use a lift no matter where I stay I always use the stairs no matter how high up i am! I found this very hard to understand as I am sure this must contravene some health and safety code especially as this was a new hotel and unfortunately we were on the fourth floor.I asked the Receptionist about stairs but she just kept telling me to take lift very un helpful. We stayed in room 409 at back over looking car park and was quite noisy from around 6.30 with bottles being emptied from bar and next days kegs were being rolled.Although comfortable and reasonable I will never stay here again unless they install stairs!

4* that takes itself a little too seriously..

by TripAdvisor Member colmirl

First off - it's not a bad hotel. It's clean, comfortable and generally nice all round. The staff I encountered were pleasant and friendly and if you're a ardent non-smoker it's the hotel for you..there are no smoking rooms in this hotel at all. The beds are comfortable, the wi-fi is free, the hotel is clean...

However, it's not a 4* hotel. For all it's trying, I really don't rate it four stars. Too many little details don't make the cut.

The materials and furnishing used are all a little too chain-store (not surprising when the owners own a large grocery/homeware chain in Ireland). Furnishings were chosen for style over function (such as the desk chair). Little details were just not paid attention to. The sink stopper in my bathroom was broken. The bathroom door lock was installed the wrong way round (it locked from the outside! Well if would have, if the locking mechanism was still attached to the door....) and worst of all (and showing a true disregard for the little details which make all the difference) that bathroom tissue was the cheapest of cheap supermarket value range type).

I'm hoping I don't sound like a snob, because I'm not I've stayed in a paid for 4* hotels before, which generally live up to their promise. This didn't. I've paid less for lesser grade hotels, and found them better. The "smart casual" dress code for the bar also smacks me as being slightly pretentious. A lack of competition in Waterford means that this hotel will attract a certain class of guest - but really, outside of Waterford their standards really wouldn't cut it.

Not to say it was a bad stay - but they really need to up the quality of their offering and their attention to detail if they want to be operating in the market they are charging for.

I think it depends on the price you get it for. I certainly wouldn't be in too much of a rush to return as there are cheaper (maybe less stylishly decorated) hotels in Waterford which would do me just fine.

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Anthony06

REally nice new 4 star hotel in the centre of Waterford city, less than five minutes walk from bus and train station and the few shops that Waterford has. Hotel is only open since September 2006 and is very nice, rooms very spacious with lcd flat screen tv.
Bar food excellent.

Excellent value

by TripAdvisor Member kelly17

Stayed at this hotel for one night, Hotel itself was very clean. Didn't use the bar or restaurant. Bedroom was ample size, a double and single bed in room, bed was very comfortable. I liked the Flat screen tv also. The bathroom was spotless, only problem was the extracter fan stayed on, I didn't ask if it could be turned off, I just closed the door. Excellent location for the city.
The only drawback I found was that there was no coverage for my mobile phone. I checked this by using the hotel phone in the room, for less than a minute it cost nearly a euro! I was lucky enough though to get a parking space. The price I paid for the stay was excellent, yes I would return to this hotel.

Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member 1corgolf

nice modern hotel, new just opened mid last year, just off the Quay,
got better rate having booked early at €109 cancelled and rebooked nearer time at €59 was over priced initially not having any leisure facilities, rooms are nice, although its the first time i have arrived to find a playpen/cot in mine, did not stay for breakfast in the restaurant, but it looked nice, dinner menu seemed nice, not sure of cost, bar meals i felt were a bit expensive at €11.95 for a burger with salad & chips

The Hotel had a coach party in ,but this time of year what place does not overall could not fault hotel, driving 7 kms in Waterford at 5 pm took 1 hour 20 mmins so try to avoid this time to arrive
apart from that when Hotel gets its leisure facility i will go back

Only ok

by TripAdvisor Member George15999951

Clearly not classified as a 4 star yet as they are not open a year yet. Great looking hotel but a load of small details will not allow it to be classified as a 4 star.
1. No breakfast room service docket in the room. asked reception and they gave us one. but then no pens in the room.
2. woken up at 8.00 am to ask what time we would like out breakfast at as they could not find our docket.....did they try the door...caus that is where it was.
3. rooms were a bit small but nice pity about the accomadation staff. layer of dust on the bed post. not just a few days but months since it was cleaned. no extra toilet paper. room not cleaned for our second nights stay. a shower cap covering the smoke alarm in the room.....non smoking hotel????. dirty pillow covers left in our bathroom
Finally a builders sign was under the bed since the works were going on...oops
4. Starters in the restuarant were brillant... maincourse was bland and thrown together. Staff were kinda freindly but never asked us once if we were ok and seemed to me they had not much of an idea what they were doing.

The biggest aspect that i could say was that all the staff clearly lacked supervision and managers checking their work.

Will be a really nice 3 star hotel if that is what they want.

Not a four star Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member tsam

This hotel is not a four star hotel having stayed there in June 2007, The room we were given was right on the main strret which is very noisy at night right up until 6am in the morning we stayed there on a Saturday night and a Sunday night what a disaster the hotel is full of stag parties and hens parties this hotel is not for families , we where there with our two children . We were woken up at 2.25am in the morning with a guy tryin to get into our room drunk ,he then proceeded to urinate on our bedroon door to our horrror, when we rang reception requesting security it took them 35minute to get to us and at which stay they did,nt even bother to call house keeping to have door cleaned. The next morning we had to inform reception of this and got a polite 'sorry' .
The breakfast in this Hotel is very stingey, one choice of fruit and very little in the way of cereal .
The restaurant food is not cheap and very bland with not much variety either could have cooked better myself.
This Hotel is very modern and contempory but housekeeping is not up to standard our rooms were not cleaned over the three days we stayed there , bathroom door lock was broken and one of the chairs were also broken in the bedroom.

This hotel will really need to look at what type of business they want to attract . The lads and ladettes weekend buisness will ruin this hotel and put people of staying here .
Staff are polite but not very informed about the services this hotel offer's all seem to give a different time when room services ends , please train your staff on the day to day running of hotel
No way will this hotel get 4 stars unless it pulls up it socks . I had high hopes for this hotel as I stay in waterford alot on business and was very disappointed on all aspect
Really annoyed traveller

Reginald's TowerReginald's Tower

Sweet & sour chickenSweet & sour chicken

The ferry to the CastleThe ferry to the Castle

A wall of Asian treasuresA wall of Asian treasures

Traveling in Waterford

by jchoats

If I leave Dublin by car in the morning, will I have time to stop in Waterford part of the day before heading to Kinsale. I would like to have enough time in Waterford to see the crystal factory and still be able to get to Kinsale by 5:00 pm at the latest. Thanks

Re: Traveling in Waterford

by orlikins

it's 2.5hrs on the N9 from Dublin to Waterford. I think its 2 hours from Waterford to Cork on the N25 and Cork to Kinsale is 30 mins. so it can be done, if you don't dawdle. However the Cork-Kinsale road is rather narrow and bendy, which doesnt help after you've been driving from teh other side of the country.
Crystal factory is a bit overrated IMO, but Waterford city is nice for a couple of hours sightseeing.

Orla

Re: Re: Traveling in Waterford

by jchoats

Thanks for your help.

Re: Re: Traveling in Waterford

by Waoife

Just make sure you stay on the South Ring Road when you get to Cork - going through the city will make the journey much longer!!!

The crystal factory is actually on the Cork Road in Waterford so it's an ideal location for heading to Kinsale.

Have a good trip!