Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone

Tags

Castles and Palaces Photography Business Travel
See Amenities
Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

Excellent hotel - except the breakfast

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 16, 2013

The Radisson Blu in Athlone has a perfect location on the River Shannon near the centre of the town. Our room was comfortable and had a stunning view of the river. Although the building was modern and nothing special architecturally, it wasn't out of place in its surroundings. The staff were friendly and the hotel lobby was well appointed. So why wouldn't I give it 10 out of ten? The breakfast was exceptionally poor. Why do 4 star hotels so often have 1 star breakfasts?! Having said that, this was one of the poorest of a bad lot. The quality and condition of cold meat and cheeses was poor; I would definitely advise room only if available. So, if you can avoid the breakfast, this is a lovely place to stay in Athlone.

This grade of hotel, usually quite expensive, was very reasonable for the dates we booked through Booking.com.

SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Riverside Radisson

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 31, 2008

I usually find Radisson Hotels to be pretty good, but as I had read a number of very critical reports of this particular one I didn't know what to expect. Indeed, so critical were some of the reviews that I tried to get alternative accomodation at the last minute. I was glad to be able to prove most of those negative reviewers wrong.......

We arrived by car and I immediately found parking right in front of the hotel - it's free for residents.

At reception we were greeted with genuine smiles from staff who were eager to help. There was no problem cancelling our dinner reservation in the hotel and going elsewhere.

Our suite was on the first floor and was more in the lines of a junior suite than a full executive suite, which was what I had booked. Nevertheless, it was very spacious and furnished in a modern manner. As you walk in the door there is a very large, tiled area with frosted glass wardrobes, tea and coffee maker, seperate Nespresso machine, safe, iron, ironing board etc. It is not a hallway, but rather a spacious dressing area.

The bedroom is large with a king sized bed at one end, twin armchairs and a coffee table set into the bay window, a music and entertainment area with flat screen tv and seperate Hi Fi, a marble topped desk, and other occasional furniture. I was more than a little impressed at the decanter of Irish whiskey that sat on our riverside table - it was compliments of the hotel. I pulled back the brightly coloured gauze curtains and looked out over a stunning vista of the River Shannon and the marina below, the lovely Church of Saints Peter & Paul, and Athlone Castle, both across the other side of the river.

The bathroom contained twin sinks, seperate walk in shower, plenty of towels and toiletries, and even a little yellow Radisson rubber duckie.

Having explored the room and enjoyed a glass of that very nice whiskey, we wandered down to the riverside bar. The evening was lovely so we sat outside sipping Mojitos. We could have been anywhere in the world.

The taxi that arrived to take us to dinner that night was right on time and, when we returned, the manager on duty (Carmel) remembered us from check in and stopped to ask how our evening had been. We were so happy with the hotel that we decided to stay on another night.

Breakfast the next day was good, but not fantastic. I have had better in other Radissons. The self service area is a bit crowded and they run out of simple things like fried eggs or boiled water in the urn. I didn't let it put me off. It set us up for a really lovely day exploring Co. Westmeath. We arrived back to the room at 4.15pm that evening, planning to have a shower before departing for Wineport Lodge Restaurant at 5.15pm. We were anxious to arrive at that eatery very early so that we could relax in the setting with a nice drink. That's when things started to go wrong. Our room had not been touched since the previous night - no clean towels, no toiletries, etc. I was mad. I rang their one touch service and insisted that they bring clean towels immediately and then clean the room. I explained the urgency. Thirst five minutes later no towels or persons had arrived at the room. I phoned again. The housekeeping service arrived too late and we left for dinner feeling stickey and annoyed.

When we arrived back to the hotel there was a fruit bowl and a note of apology from Carmel, the Duty Manager. Carmel deserves a medal as she's always smiling and woring hard to see that people are happy.

We left after breakfast the next day, and overall we were happy. We didn't have time to use the spa or the pool, but we intend to come back to try them.

Unique Quality: The staff here are fantastic. Service is excellent. Finally, the riverside location and views and city centre location are hard to beat.

Nearby Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone

Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone

• Radisson Athlone
  • Radisson Hotel Athlone
  • Athlone Radisson Sas
  • Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone Hotel Athlone

Address: Northgate St., (formerly Radisson SAS), Athlone, County Westmeath, Ireland

8 Photos of Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone

• Business Services
  • Suites
  • Free High Speed Internet

Athlone Travel Forum

Need advice about Athlone, Ireland? Visit the Travel Forum for Athlone and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Athlone hotel reviews