Athlone Springs Hotel

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Athlone Springs Hotel

GREAT VALUE

by TripAdvisor Member rrennix3

stayed at the athlone springs hotel for 2 nights b+b and one evening meal for a mid week treat for ourselves and this hotel gets top marks for that . we arrived and were checked in quickly by friendly helpful staff . our room was on the 2nd floor and was well marked and easy to find. this hotel is a new modern colourful hotel .the bedroom was large well decorated ,clean and bright . the shower was lovely and big with great water pressure (no bath tub) the bed was a lovely king size with great pillows and quilts . we had dinner the first night in the resturant which was included in the price of our stay and we enjoyed it so much we also had dinner there the second night. everything about the food was great we enjoyed every mouthful from the starters to the dessert and the brekie in the morning again was great . we enjoyed the pool and all the other features there and the gym was large with all the latest equiptment . overall we enjoyed our stay and will go back for more as we never got the chance to use the zen spa. the hotels location is not very scenic but it is well located for driving to athlone and other great areas around the hotel .

Never going back

by TripAdvisor Member DublinKellygirl

I have just returned from a weekend, 2 B&B + one Dinner, in the Athlone Springs - in short it was very dissappointing.
The duvet on the bed was too heavy for the warm weather and having requested a blanket - I was told the hotel did not have summer weight bedding and I was advised to remove the duvet from the cover myself and sleep under an empty duvet cover. Not a 4 star solution.
Two of the three receptionists I dealt with had such a poor command of english it was very difficult to have questions answered, again not 4 star.
The bar is too small for the size of the hotel and with no other public seating area offered after dinner on Friday night we had to retire to our bedroom for a drink, again not 4 star
A friend spilled make-up on Friday night on her dressing table - it was still there on Sunday when we checked out, guess what, not 4 star.
Breakfast was OK but the dinner included in the package was very poor with tiny portions.
All in all I have no idea who decided to award this hotel 4 stars as the service received was by no means the standard I would
expect from a 4 star establishment.
I did take the time to mention my findings to a duty manager who took it very professionally.
On a postitive note - the staff in the leisure centre could not have been nicer - is it leased out I wondered.

mixed hotel

by TripAdvisor Member bay10

Saw the hotel on the web and bookedfor a weekend away. Arrived on the hotel and I must say what a great looking hotel. the girl who checked us in was very friendly . we had dinner in cedar on friday night ,the food was ok but not 4star .Great wine list. The bar is way too small for the hotel. a great leisure centre.
The rooms are nice and a great shower.
The main problem we had was we felt that there was a lack of staff who knew what they were doing and could understand you. This really showed on saturday at breakfast. On saturday night while I was in the bar waiting for my wife to join me I was approached by a girl who seemed to be a guest asked if i was staying in the hotel and offered her services to me. At this point i asked to speak to the general manager ,still waiting to speak to the manager as he does not work weekends. We left the hotel upset and will not return to this hotel again

Value for money

by TripAdvisor Member Michmast

Stayed here with friends on Saturday night for €129 B&B which was good value. The hotel is new so its modern, bright and clean. Reception staff were friendly and recommended some good bars and restaurants in the town which is a 10 min drive from the hotel. When we booked the rooms we were told there was a shuttle service but it was no where to be seen. A taxi cost about €8. The hotel was very busy and the small bar and lobby area struggled to cope with the volumes of people (mostly groups with a few families).

The bedrooms are spacious, clean and colourful. The staff running the bar could do with some training. We were served dirty glasses, there was no lemon in the shorts, no cold bottled water and they ran out of ice and some other bottled beers. The bar food was tasty if standard fare.

The pool and spa looked nice but we didn't have time to use them.

If I was coming back to Althlone I think I'd stay in the town.

A very good hotel all round

by TripAdvisor Member wanderlywagon

Myself and my wife and another couple stayed at this hotel recently it is hard to see what everyone is complaining about< the rooms were spacious and nicely decorated> the bathroom was very modern in design with a great shower its absolutely hugh> the staff throughout the hotel were extremely friendly> we had dinner there also in the restaurant which was very good> we went to the pool and health spa also which couldnt be faulted> all in all top marks< this hotel deserves its four stars no question about it

Good but not worth the high price

by TripAdvisor Member Smoothyworld

Stayed for one night in the hotel as the wedding reception was being held here. Room was clean and spacious, bathroom was good and staff were perfectly fine. However, a few (minor) negatives:

• The room was constantly too warm, even with the window open (and it wasn't a warm day outside either). Quite why there wasn't any air conditioning I don't know.

• The price of the double room was pretty high (€170/£134), too high considering that there are better hotels for much cheaper prices.

All in all, the hotel was good, but not at the price they were charging.

Friendly staff and guests

by TripAdvisor Member whittersDublin

Location a bit outside athlone and lot of building work around but rooms and bathrooms great, leisure centre excellent, food very good and staff extremely friendly and good fun!

Had an xlnt time!

by TripAdvisor Member JullsCork

My partner and i stayed for one night only, i wished it could have been more.
Our room was very spacious and the staff were lovely, very friendly.
The pool was quiet and changing rooms calming and relaxing.
We enjoyed a few drinks at the bar and slept soundly after in our massive bed.

I will have to come back again and stay for longer next time.

Thank you.
Julie

great for families

by TripAdvisor Member karen004

Was a bit nervous about the hotel after reading some of the reviews, but after staying there in July for 3 nights we could not fault it. We have a small baby and found the hotel excellent. There is a pharmacy and supermarket very close by if you need anything. Pool and gym lovely. Had dinner in the restaurant one night and food was gorgeous.

If you wanted to be near to more night-life it is a bit out of Athlone, but with 4 month old we didn't care.

untrustworthy - never again

by TripAdvisor Member bl0ndie29

arrived just in time 4 dinner only to be put off food by live entertainment in the restaurant that we really should have been paid to listen to rather than ruining our dinner, residents bar closed at 2am, however not in the function room, which upon going to bed (in the non a/c room) the band were still playing and very loud. before checking out of the stuffy bedroom my friend reminded me not to forget my watch that was sitting on the bed, unfortunately i did but an hour later when i realised i rang the hotel, told receptionist where i left the watch, after i made 3 more calls to the hotel within the hour i was told there was no watch, management were no help, just expected me to believe it had disappeared into thin air, unbelievable to think that a 4* hotel could allow this to happen

Comments