Hodson Bay, Athlone, County Westmeath, Ireland

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Hodson Bay Hotel

Very happy New Year

by TripAdvisor Member JaneymacDublin

My husband decided to treat me to a New Year Break in the Hodson Bay Hotel and Spa- a belated Christmas present really. I booked a special offer package for the spa on the www.hodsonbayspa.com website which was great value a fact I realised when I has a whole afternoon of relaxing and pampering. My husband even got a massage- a first time experience and he was very impressed. The pool is lovely. We had fabulous rooms with huge windows looking out on a lake and a bed so comfortable it was hard to get out of.
We had lovely food in the restaurant- some of the best we have had- I love fish and it was perfectly cooked- not always the easiest to find. The staff were really nice and friendly, nothing was any fuss. I recommend this to anyone and can't find anything negative to say- weather could have been better but aside from that a prefect romantic break.

Not impressed, definitely not 4*!

by TripAdvisor Member SuzieQ37

I was recommended the Hodson Bay hotel by friends with children who had had a pleasant stay there some months before. So I contacted the hotel directly to make the booking. It was for 2 nights accommodation for 2 rooms, one room for my parents and the other for myself and my son who is 8. I was looking forward to the spa facilities and the kids club, but I have to say our stay was a disappointment from the start.

I booked our rooms well in advance to find on arrival that my parents were located on the third floor and we were on the first floor, when we requested ajacent rooms, there were none available. Also the rooms werent ready for our stay, and this was at 2.30 in the afternoon!!!! The room itself was very disappointing, The walls and doors were very dirty, so was not keen on the beds or the carpet, the bathroom was shabby and the shower curtain was filthy. The phone didnt work and after numerous requests to reception, was never fixed. Luckily my parents and I had our mobiles to keep in touch.

On our first night there our wine wasnt served until we had finished our main course, again after asking for it several times!! The food wasnt bad, if a little stodgy, but the general service in the hotel is very slack. I think the staff are possibly overworked and always seemed under a lot of pressure to be in several places at the same time - this is across the board in the hotel, from receptionists to waiting staff. On both nights there were functions, and noisy guests shouting in the corridors at 3am didnt do anything for our nights sleep.

I went to book a spa treatment but there were no appointments available for the duration of our stay. However the leisure facilities are fantastic, all new so time will tell there.
My son loved the kids club and the girls were very good to all the kids, its a pity that is the only good thing about the place.
Definitely wont be going back.

Fantastic Location, Great Hotel, Lovely Health & Leisure Centre But Not on a Sat

by TripAdvisor Member Artane

I have to say the local service, superb location, view is out of this world. But DO NOT GO THERE ON A SATURDAY! Cannot cope with a wedding and they look like they take in part time staff for the non-wedding guests. Next week there are 4 weddings. But when I expressed all this to the reception when checking out they refunded the meal and compensated the second night. Its unfortunate it had to come to that but I would recommend going on a Sunday and Monday night for the deal.

A room with a view

by TripAdvisor Member tippseeker

Stayed at this hotel for a conference. Roms were nice and food excellent. Didnt get to use the leisure facilities but they looked very appealing. The location on the lake is lovely.

A spa to die for.......

by TripAdvisor Member DonegalDoll

Had a short "catching up with the girls" w-end at the hodson bay and would highly recommend it for same. There seemed to be hordes of ladies groups which bears this out. Very expensive but very impressive spa treatments. Book well in advance as they are busy beyond belief. A good sign, I think.

Food in the restaurant was ok but nothing to write home about. Service was good and they didn't kick us out when maybe they should have for our own sake! The bar was too packed for comfort so we retired to a wee library and whiled away another few hours.

Breakfast was excellent with good mixture of continental and irish. Very plentiful.

Minor gripes are sharing a triple room with a very small camp bed as third bed and still paying full price. Really disagree with this in all irish hotels. Hotel is a 10 minute taxi from the town and taxis can be difficult to get. See below. Pool had too many 'little darlings' for my liking, but I'm sure I'm being picky. Odd experience with a very snappy receptionist who shouted at myself and companions regarding an ordered taxi. I really want to complain about her but by the time you get home you forget these things.

All in all a thumbs up.

A slice of heaven

by TripAdvisor Member triwannastar

The hudson spa experience reallly was a slice of heaven. From tranquil surroundings to superb treatments and a very professional service, my stay really exceeded my expectations. The impressive dinner menu and modern, stylish rooms were equalled by an exotic breakfast buffet overlooking the water. The treatments rooms also allowed you to look out onto the magnificent scenery. I would highly recommend this as a girly break or a treat for a couple or mum and daughter.

Fantastic Spa but Main Hotel just too Busy

by TripAdvisor Member Meghanmum

I stayed at the Hodson Bay from the 24th - 26 November 2006. We normally stay at the Wineport Lodge but thought we would try this hotel as a change. We take a relaxing midlands weekend at least one a year and we booked the Spa retreat weekend with a room in the exclusive Spa section. Unfortunetely our weekend did not prove to be the relaxing haven we had expected. The hotel was overly busy and had various functions. The contradiction is if you have a room in the Spa section it is lovely, quiet and relaxing but you still have to go over to the main hotel to use the facilities which were overcrowded. We ate at the restaurant on the first night and I found the food dissapointing - My husbands requested medium - well done steak was served up burnt! If you are looking for a weekend of total relaxation this is not the place for you unless you are prepared to stay in your Spa room for the weekend! It would have been fantastic if the hotel would have a seperate bar/lounge for Spa rooms....but sadly this is not the case. I would return to the hotel under different circumstances ie a family break as the lake location is fantastic but not for a relaxing break. I just thought the service and attention to detail was not up to scratch!

"Retreat" Misleading

by TripAdvisor Member IrelandHolidayqueen

I would agree with the guest who stayed here in December. Basically the "retreat" is a new section to the hotel recently built - the rooms are very nice but if you are booking you need to double check your view - we could see a corner of the lake if we stuck our heads out of one of the windows!! It is not adult only!! Meals are served in the main dining room and we found the service very rushed - not one bit relaxing!! The food was nice and breakfast is very good. Beware that the pool is also open to members of the public if they are club members so it gets very busy in the evenings, a lot of kids! I probably would not stay again.

We had dinner in the Wineport lodge - excellent

Also Le Chateau is a very nice restaurant in town down by the lough gate on the castle side of the bridge - worth a visit!

Lakeside Luxury

by TripAdvisor Member anikab

Stayed for a weekend for spa facilities. It was an absolutely wonderful experience. We received fantastic pampering in a gorgeous setting overlooking the lake. Very relaxing! The staff were so accommodating that no request was too big or too small. Would love to go back and do it all again.

excellent service

by TripAdvisor Member nolene

Just back from a very enjoyable weekend at the Hodson Bay. This is a very popular hotel and even on the last weekend in january it was busy...not a problem though as there were plenty of friendly and attentive staff to cope.
The location overlooking Lough Ree is lovely.
Bedrooms in the main building are a little on the small side but modern and comfortable.
We dined at the hotel on our first night and found the service excellent and the food very good...there is also a carvery in the bar for those who fancy a more casual meal.
There was entertainment in the bar both nights of our stay and unlike many hotel bars..there was a great atmosphere.

I didnt use the (impressive) spa however I did visit the swimming pool and noticed that the jacuzzi is kept at pool temperature.

As previous reviewers have stated this is a busy hotel at weekends and perhaps not suited to those who are seeking a peaceful getaway however with excellent service and a great holiday atmosphere the Hodson gets a thumbs up from me.

Athlone CastleAthlone Castle